10/7 - 10/13 -- Deals Gap and the Blue Ridge Pkwy

Casper

Anyone interested in joining is more than welcome.

I'm leaving Thursday late morning (10/7) for the VStrom Gathering at Deals Gap. This is open to all bikes (as it states in the first post of that thread) so don't feel weird if you ride something else. Staying there Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday night. Probably hotel one night, camping the other two. They have several routes already set up, including an offroad one (which is what I'm probably going to do at least once). I'm just slabbing it down there, taking freeway the whole way. The map.

Then Sunday morning (10/10), I'm heading up the Blue Ridge Pkwy. I'm planning on taking two days to do this, which would be roughly 300ish miles each day including my random detours off the pkwy to see stuff. I plan on stopping a lot to take pictures and enjoy the scenery. I'll be camping in state/national parks. They have nice shower facilities. The map.

Then Wednesday (10/13), I'm heading home from Harrisonburg, VA going through Monongahela National Forest in WV. I'll be stopping at Seneca Rocks, Blackwater Falls, Spruce Knob, etc. The map.

This is a site seeing trip for me. Very casual. I'll be stopping at a lot of the scenic overlooks, etc. I'll set up designated stops and mark them on a map so anyone who joins can just ride their own pace and meet up later. Here's a good list of stuff to see along the Blue Ridge Pkwy.

If you want to do the gap but not the Blue Ridge Pkwy, cool. If you want to do the Blue Ridge Pkwy but not the gap, you can meet me at the southern start of the Blue Ridge Pkwy just north of Cherokee, NC.

This site has a lot of maps for the campgrounds and the entire Blue Ridge Pkwy.

And lastly, some teaser pics:

blueridge.jpg

blue-ridge-parkway-va.jpg

p3947-Blue_Ridge_Parkway_National_Park-Blue_Ridge_Parkway.jpg

146_0805_01_z+motorcycle_riding+blue_ridge_parkway.jpg

FallBRP.jpg

to bad the VStrom Gathering is at the iron horse. its ok place to stay but, to far out in the middle of nowhere..

I'm not positive, but looking at the maps it looks like they did it there on purpose. The roads all around there are awesome. Is Ironhorse away from everything or just the gap? Hell, i'll probably only ride through the gap once. It's kinda boring and annoying with all the cars.

I'm not positive, but looking at the maps it looks like they did it there on purpose. The roads all around there are awesome. Is Ironhorse away from everything or just the gap? Hell, i'll probably only ride through the gap once. It's kinda boring and annoying with all the cars.

whenever i ride the BRP, i usually ride between fancy gap (m199) to end. which makes asheville NC the perfect base.

whenever i ride the BRP, i usually ride between fancy gap (m199) to end. which makes asheville NC the perfect base.

I've only ever been one other time, and we stayed in Alcoa right by the Knoxville airport. That worked out beautifully.