yzf600r

Steve Butters

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode a 600r for about 3 years, had trouble keeping up with supersports until i put on the d&d exhaust, jet kit, and -1 front sprocket. It uses the fzr600 engine, with a milder seating position. Handling is pretty good with adjustable suspension front and rear. If you could get it cheap enought it would be worth it, especially going from a cruiser to a sport bike, but with the price of a lot of the newer used bikes i'd go with one of them first but don't think you'd be dissappointed with it since it is a YAMAHA

i rode the YZF600R for over 20k miles. It is one of the most underappreciated bikes out there. Is the R6, Gixxer, R1 better? Depends on what you want.

Some positives on the YZF:

• great mileage - I had 50+ MPG. and a 225 mile range on a full tank.
  • All day comfort. Had a 100 mile roundtrip commute to work with no problems. did 6+ hour drive up the west side of Michigan on that.
  • adjustable front and rear suspension. That makes a HUGE difference IMO
  • Plenty of power and handling. You CAN drag knee with this bike. You can Power Wheelie.
  • very easy price.
  • Great support forum: yzf600R.com. Some of the best and knowledgable people out there.
  • Real world power curve. More mid range grunt than most R6's where you are at most of the time for street riding. Track is a different story.

Some cons:

• It's heavy (500+ lbs) but you won't get blown on the highway with cross winds.
  • less mods being made for it but you can still get all the basics, sprockets, pipes, etc.
  • Not as "sexy" as a new bike

With the right mods, you can keep up with most 600's on the road. I had dropped a tooth up front. A friend of mine has it as a dedicated track bike and he has a jet kit with the sprocket change. Our friend who has an '05 636 stock can't pull away from him the straights. Now mind you a liter bike will blow by it with problems, but then you aren't comparing apples with apples.

I love my R1, but I do miss my YZF. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat without hesitation.

If you check one out the biggest thing to look out for is the 2nd Gear. Many Yami's during that time period had problems with that. You'll just want to make sure it doesn't have that problem.

All the above is from personal experience either directly from my bike or a friends. Check out the web-site and you'll a lot of avid followers.

My first bike was a 99 YZF600R. It wasn't piss slow and I was keeping up with my riding buddy who had an 05 CBR 600. I really miss the comfort of this bike, but I can't remember what my fuel economy was like.