yzf600r

Steve Butters

are these bikes any good?

are they piss slow? how do they handle? gas mileage, etc?

im tired of not being able to corner on my vmax...i spend more time stressing about cornering than i do actually fun

and i want something with more stopping power since i almost ate shit tonight when a jetta made a left in front of me..

talking to this guy about maybe meeting up tomorrow to look over each others bikes for a trade

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1885021688.html

^ it has 14k miles on it

i also emailed another guy who might be interested...hes got a 99 R1 with 29k miles...is that a lot for those? should i look at that too if it works out or would it be too much of a risk to get a bike with that many miles

my bike has 21k, but i know the vmaxes are good for well over 100, so im not worried about my bike

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That 600 is piss slow feeling compared to your Max Nor are the brakes that much better, If stoping power is an issue, up grading the calipers (r1's bolt up fairly easy), master cylinder(radial), and lines can go a long way for little dough. The R1 could be a good bike as long as it's been well taken care of. Check for valve noise, and if he has had the valves adjusted etc. Most sport bikes don't live to have that many miles on it because of being wreaked and not well maintained, not because they aren't reliable with a bit of miles.

I have ridden both, and have taken both through Deal's Gap. Honestly, its hard to conceive that the R6's lineage passes through the YZF, but that's not an indictment of the YZ. The R1 was like riding a kiddie bike with regard to the riding position, as it felt like I was right over top of the front wheel. But I have yet to ride anything that was as nimble as that R1. It was as if it was on rails, and made nice power.

The YZF was more to me like a VFR. Much more upright riding position, very comfortable. Was respectable for power for a 600, but obviously not an R6 or Gixxer 600. I liked it though. I would have one for commuting, and even on longer spirited rides. The guy who owned the one I rode used to run the Gap like he was on rails. So it has plenty of sporty ability.

Obviously, anyone here who owns one will be able to give you better details now, but since I have been on both and you asked, this is my $.02. $3k for that YZF just sounds a little pricey to me, though. I would have thought $2300, maybe $2500. Its 12 years old, and though the miles are relatively low, its a 12 year old bike. On the R1, depending on how well he maintained the bike over 29k miles would be my question.

Either way, good luck with whatever you're hunting for.

this bike is definitely not my first choice.... but i figure anything will be better than the vmax at this point...i rode bens fruity vstrom and finally realized that not every bike takes turns like a semi truck like mine does

but i dont have the money to out right purchase a new bike, so i gotta find someone willing to trade me something, and this guy is looking for a cruiser

I've only been on my bike and my buds Interceptor 500 and his 92 VFR 750. I'm sure any style of sport bike will suit your needs for the way you want to ride better than the max will. As far as speed is concerned, it'll be more than you'll need for the twisties. I can't keep up for anything in the straights with the people I've been on group rides with but I've gotten much better in the twisties and to me that's where it all matters.

I say trade if you like it.

im thinking i may hold out for a supersport instead of an upright bike like this...is there that big of a difference?

and everything in reading, this bike shouldnt be too much slower than the max, but it is definitely slower

ide really like an r1, even if its a carb'd bike

im thinking i may hold out for a supersport instead of an upright bike like this...is there that big of a difference?

and everything in reading, this bike shouldnt be too much slower than the max, but it is definitely slower

ide really like an r1, even if its a carb'd bike

meh the handling difference between my VFR and 636 is noticeable to me but only becuase I'm not exactly mr super awesome rider. The yzf isn't going to be near as upright as my VFR with helibars (i would imagine at least) and when I'm not being a pussy I have no issue keeping up with supersports in twisty shit

Now on the other hand if I know I'll be hitting mostly twisty fun stuff I lean towards the 636 since well thats what its made for

Trade and start learning to lean. Then later down the road get that supersport.

:plus1:for sage advice. I doubt you'd be bored at all with the YZF over the next year, and once your skills are improved over the next year or so (and you progress through school) then you'll be better suited to look at perhaps a newer R1 or something of that ilk.

I had one 10yrs ago and went -1 on the front and +2 on the rear and it wasnt bad at all. If he'll trade you and it's in good shape you should trade. You'll have a hell of alot more fun riding with us on that than on the vmax.

im gonna hold off on the yzf....theres too many newer 600s for sale for me to jump on it...vmax is for sale on CL for 2800 and i have a guy who wants to come look at it tomorrow

if it sells, im most likely going to buy alex's gsxr and if that dont go through, ice has a 636 im gonna look at

im hearing too many mixed reviews on the yzf600r, i dont want it...especially if i can get rid of mine before alex sells his...fuel injection > carbs

You can get an F4I for that $. I'm not a huge gixxer or kawi fan but you're riding it not me. Just do your research before hand so you know what to look at when you check one out. If I was going to get a 600 I'd get a fuel injected R6, 600RR or F4I

im gonna be on a $2500 budget, and an 01 gsxr is fuel injected...ide prefer an 03 r6, but goodluck on my price range....alexs bike is rebuilt title with 19k miles, thats why its so cheap

im not a gsxr or kawi fan either, but i cant be picky if im a broke ass lol..im a yamaha guy

yea im not big on any of the 3 lol...but for that price seems like it would be a good buy still if it comes with stock swing arm or it can be changed back to stock length without whatever that accessory thing is...but it sounded like a scam, but wasnt sure what they go for usually...the search continues i suppose, hopefully this guy buys the max tomorrow

and youre right...heres a clean title 03 gsxr with less miles for the same price

part that scares me "It was never a problem for me, so i never bothered to replace it" with no reference to what he is talking about, so ide have to find out

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1878943064.html

Think he means replace the bike because its older dunno. But I also dunno Alex or his bike either but I wouldnt give 2500 for a salvaged 01 with 19000 miles. I'm guessing noone else will either and thats why it hasnt sold. Most people want more for thier stuff than its worth, I'm guilty of it too. Thats were dealing comes in.