No more OSU/Michigan regular season games?

Casper

NCAA playoff system will never happen until the folks that are CURRENTLY getting their pockets lined by the bowl games that mean something, can continue to get their pockets lined in the same fashion. An NCAA playoff makes the end of the year bowl games less important.

make the quarterfinals be the rose, fiesta, orange and sugar bowls?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what you are saying is that they should still be letting coaches decide who is number 1, they should still wear leather caps vs. updated impact absorbing helmets, that they should still play on grass vs. turf, etc., etc. etc...

no on the leather helmets, but grass all the way. turf is for pussies IMO

My cousin went to MI for college and he stated that they didn't feel as strongly as OSU did towards the games. Now, when it was a game that determined a championship? Sure. Even when MI sucked and OSU was possibly going to win the championship, they wanted to beat them.

Is there hate and distaste for each other? Sure. But he always said that it was more on the side of OSU fans and such than from the MI side...

Also, have you met an OSU fan that wasn't psycho? I mean, over the top crazy psycho for the team. I went to OSU and hated it. I'm a MI fan and an FSU fan. The way OSU fans do things is so over the top. In general, they are a bit more crazy than most. As proof when they go to a bowl game. The amount of fans and the presence of OSU outweighs any other team they ever play - no matter how far away they travel...

That speaks loads right there where this is all going. Psycho fans hate the split. The people that are normal and enjoy good competition and good football see it as a change that may lead to an actual play off and establish a true way to find the National Championship team out there...

This is exactly why I hate OSU/college football. Most OSU fans are mental.

Tradition is the currency of college athletics.

I hope its worth cashing it in...

Maybe in the old days.

Now, currency is the currency of college athletics.

So what you are saying is that they should still be letting coaches decide who is number 1, they should still wear leather caps vs. updated impact absorbing helmets, that they should still play on grass vs. turf, etc., etc. etc...

Like I said in my post, I don't really pay attention to football so I really don't know what you mean about the coaches. As for leather helmets vs. modern helmets, that's a safety issue and it has nothing to do with tradition. Grass vs. turf, again i don't pay enough attention to football to know what all the differences are. It seems it might be nicer to play on grass although it'd certainly be more expensive due to maintenance and what not.

I've heard about the OSU/Michigan rivalry for my entire life. Wether you agree with it or not, it is very important to alot of people of all ages. Tradition is one of the things that allows a certain connection to our past and where we came from. Not all traditions are good and not all are bad. Sure change can be a good thing but you can affect change without compromising tradition. Traditions remind us of who we are, where we came from, and what came before us. Maybe it's stupid and sentimental but I think if a tradition that's older than the people who are trying to change it isn't hurting anything, it should be left alone. Or at least be allowed to continue within the structure of their changes.

Maybe in the old days.

Now, currency is the currency of college athletics.

Short term currency.

And a playoff in college football is a bad idea.

Right now every game matters. And part of the appeal is the flaws in the system. We all know Georgia got screwed out of the National Championship a few years ago, and I love watching USF creep into the rankings only to be quickly shot down, because they had that giant killing season a few years ago.

We only need to look so far as NCAA basketball to see what a tournament/play off would do to football: ruin the regular season. You play hard enough to get into the tournament and that's it.

And really, how are we going to determine which football teams make it into the playoffs? Writers and coaches voting on the strength of schedules and win/loss records. Which isn't all that different from what we have now, and when do we draw the line? 24 teams? What if that 25th team had a great season? It's going to be a different party, same headache.

And the Ohio State/Michigan game is sacrosanct. Why screw with something that was voted the greatest rivalry in all of sports a few years ago? Playing Michigan twice a season is going to be like kissing your sister.

Edited by dorifto240

Short term currency.

And a playoff in college football is a bad idea.

Right now every game matters. And part of the appeal is the flaws in the system. We all know Georgia got screwed out of the National Championship a few years ago, and I love watching USF creep into the rankings only to be quickly shot down, because they had that giant killing season a few years ago.

We only need to look so far as NCAA basketball to see what a tournament/play off would do to football: ruin the regular season. You play hard enough to get into the tournament and that's it.

And really, how are we going to determine which football teams make it into the playoffs? Writers and coaches voting on the strength of schedules and win/loss records. Which isn't all that different from what we have now, and when do we draw the line? 24 teams? What if that 25th team had a great season? It's going to be a different party, same headache.

And the Ohio State/Michigan game is sacrosanct. Why screw with something that was voted the greatest rivalry in all of sports a few years ago? Playing Michigan twice a season is going to be like kissing your sister.

Hard to tell what's sacred anymore. My advice: Go take in a good high school football game. Tickets are cheap, lots of good teams in Ohio and public schools are still making it into, and winning, the championship games.

:bow: Nice play of an underused word

I doff my cap... Non-existent rep to you, good sir! ;)

SUCCESS!! Even though they're in opposite divisions.... They left THE rivalry alone as the end of season game!! Guaranteed for the next 2 years... Then I guess I'll have to start the calling & emailing campaign all over again ;D

http://www.toledoblade.com/article/20100902/SPORTS16/9020320