No more OSU/Michigan regular season games?

Casper

I think it's easy to get complacent during a period when one team is dominant.

I wish I remember who said it in "Faster," but they were asking a retired rider (Schwantz? Raney?) about the Biaggi/Rossi rivalry, and he said, "what rivalry? I haven't seen Biaggi win anything in a while."

But these aren't two riders with (at most) 20-25 year careers; they're schools with over 100 years of history between them. The oldest people on the planet have experienced this rivalry their entire lives.

That would be a foolish thing for the Big 10 to disrupt.

Well my guess is that the Big Ten is thinking that no matter how good one team is and bad the other is, it is still probably one of the most watched games of the year (at the very least in the Big Ten and Midwest markets) so why not try and cash in on that twice a year if they can?

Like was said its all about the money. I think this will somewhat cheapen the rivalry a bit if they do play twice a year often

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be incurring the wrath of rabid Buckeye fans here but, I don't watch football, college or pro. I don't pay attention to the Buckeyes or Michigan, or any of the other teams. Other than hockey, I'm not a big sports fan in general. However, I do think that college athletics are the soul of American sports. The kids don't play for multi-million dollar a year paychecks. They play the game mostly because they love the game. That's what makes college sports good, in my opinion; the college players often have way more heart and play alot harder than their professional counter-parts. All the being said, this messing with the OSU / Michigan game is crap, they need to have a little respect for history and tradition and leave things alone.

So what you are saying is that they should still be letting coaches decide who is number 1, they should still wear leather caps vs. updated impact absorbing helmets, that they should still play on grass vs. turf, etc., etc. etc...

Change is good. When it happens, it is met with resistance as people fly off the cuff with emotion based responses. Change is also needed. They really needed to add some better teams into the Big Ten. It creates more validation that the conference is one of the best in the country. They also need a play off system in place. When that comes, people will be pissed, too. Essentially, you can't win for losing...

Like what Nate stated, if MI gets their shit back together and the Bucks can actually do well enough, they will meet and it will be epic. It hasn't decided much of anything when they've played each other over the last several years other than W-L records against one another.

In MI, it isn't a rivalry as it is perceived here in Ohio - especially at OSU. It is tradition on campus, but we have new faces added to the Big Ten and it can easily become a deal where that alone makes changes enough to make some sort of shift.

You guys who act like it doesn't matter cause OSU has been winning lately crack me up. OSU has had the upper hand in the last 10 years...but if you look at the history of this rivalry you'll see this goes back and forth....with the underdog usually chomping at the bit to spoil championship dreams for the other team. News flash...UM won't always suck just like OSU got past Cooper. Stop being a homer. This game is tradition..and it's bigger than your recent memory of OSU wins. I hate OSU..but I love the fact that this is the biggest rivalry in collegiate sports and I tip my hat to the vest and the buckeyes for handing UM their ass lately. Don't get cocky bitches....it will turn around and we will get back to pounding your ass like Michael Jackson in summer school. Until then and beyond that point, this game is bigger than either school or their records. Leave it alone.

It's only the biggest rivalry here in Ohio... Again, MI perceives it differently and they actually have a stronger rivalry with MSU than with OSU... I'd also argue that there are stronger legit rivalries within college sports than with MI vs OSU...

It's only the biggest rivalry here in Ohio... Again, MI perceives it differently and they actually have a stronger rivalry with MSU than with OSU... I'd also argue that there are stronger legit rivalries within college sports than with MI vs OSU...

Um, I grew up in MI so I'm well aware of UM/MSU. MI does NOT perceive it differently. Just because we have another in-state rivalry doesn't mean the OSU rivalry gets second billing. Someone on the interwebs decides to take make a silly comment about UM not 'caring' about OSU since they've been losing lately, and everyone takes it as gospel. That is SO FAR FROM THE TRUTH it's ridiculous.

Um, I grew up in MI so I'm well aware of UM/MSU. MI does NOT perceive it differently. Just because we have another in-state rivalry doesn't mean the OSU rivalry gets second billing. Someone on the interwebs decides to take make a silly comment about UM not 'caring' about OSU since they've been losing lately, and everyone takes it as gospel. That is SO FAR FROM THE TRUTH it's ridiculous.

My cousin went to MI for college and he stated that they didn't feel as strongly as OSU did towards the games. Now, when it was a game that determined a championship? Sure. Even when MI sucked and OSU was possibly going to win the championship, they wanted to beat them.

Is there hate and distaste for each other? Sure. But he always said that it was more on the side of OSU fans and such than from the MI side...

Also, have you met an OSU fan that wasn't psycho? I mean, over the top crazy psycho for the team. I went to OSU and hated it. I'm a MI fan and an FSU fan. The way OSU fans do things is so over the top. In general, they are a bit more crazy than most. As proof when they go to a bowl game. The amount of fans and the presence of OSU outweighs any other team they ever play - no matter how far away they travel...

That speaks loads right there where this is all going. Psycho fans hate the split. The people that are normal and enjoy good competition and good football see it as a change that may lead to an actual play off and establish a true way to find the National Championship team out there...

I totally agree with you on the psycho OSU fan portion. A UM fan can't go to Columbus and enjoy the game and have a good time, whereas an OSU fan can come to Ann Arbor..get a little harassment, but still have a good time and be left alone for the most part.

I guess I don't agree with your cousin. Not to diminish the MSU rivalry, because it IS a strong rivalry, but the OSU game is THE game of the year...no matter what.

I'll put it this way..no UM coach ever lost his job because he couldn't beat MSU. Can you say the same for the OSU game? Hell no.

And..back to the psycho fan comment...lulz. I thought I was the only one who thought OSU fans took things to the far extreme. I've met many people in Ohio since moving here who seem to concur. You were an FSU AND UM fan going to OSU? How did you not end up in jail?

That speaks loads right there where this is all going. Psycho fans hate the split. The people that are normal and enjoy good competition and good football see it as a change that may lead to an actual play off and establish a true way to find the National Championship team out there...

:lol: splitting the Big Ten into 2 divisions will have ZERO effect on establishing an NCAA wide playoff system. It was one of 2 BCS conferences that didn't have a Conference Championship game with the other being the Big East. When it comes to divisionalizing the Big Ten I am a full supporter however think OSU and MI should only play 1 game per year to preserve the rivarly to its greatest potential. IF they play twice a year then ok cool but whatever at this point. The Big Ten needs something to bolster their reputation as other than OSU, PSU and Michigan up until Rich Rod...it lacked major competition like the SEC

NCAA playoff system will never happen until the folks that are CURRENTLY getting their pockets lined by the bowl games that mean something, can continue to get their pockets lined in the same fashion. An NCAA playoff makes the end of the year bowl games less important.

They're wanting to break the Big 10 (12 teams) into two divisions of 6 teams. Michigan and OSU would be on different divisions. So they only way they'd play is if they each win their division and play for the Big 10 championship game.

The October game is the part of it that I find sacreligious! This is THE last game on both teams' schedule.... PERIOD!

So, isn't that a better deal? If Michigan gets their shit together like the old days, they'd face OSU for the final and have the title decided.

I like it.

Plus, it isn't really a big deal anymore...

This OSU sentiment cracks me up :rolleyes: Prior to Tressel.... Michigan won 10 of 13, but you all seem to be too short sighted to remember that far back. Revisionist historians amuse me :nono:

only problem is the "final" will be in a closed roof stadium (indy colts home field). no more games where the season (and some careers) is/are on the line in the brisk wintery chill with snow or horrible conditions that make THE game so great at the shoe or big house.

and thats only IF they get their shit together.

its not a big deal at the moment because michigan sucks, but once they start getting good again it will become a big deal again. its lasted 100+ years with ups and downs, the rivalry will continue on after michigan's slump, as long as this new format doesn't ruin it.

^ ^ Nate gets "it" ;)

You guys who act like it doesn't matter cause OSU has been winning lately crack me up. OSU has had the upper hand in the last 10 years...but if you look at the history of this rivalry you'll see this goes back and forth....with the underdog usually chomping at the bit to spoil championship dreams for the other team. News flash...UM won't always suck just like OSU got past Cooper. Stop being a homer. This game is tradition..and it's bigger than your recent memory of OSU wins. I hate OSU..but I love the fact that this is the biggest rivalry in collegiate sports and I tip my hat to the vest and the buckeyes for handing UM their ass lately. Don't get cocky bitches....it will turn around and we will get back to pounding your ass like Michael Jackson in summer school. Until then and beyond that point, this game is bigger than either school or their records. Leave it alone.

Werd... Grape Ape nailed it!!

EVERYONE needs to email the Big 10 to let them know that we will not stand for this. also, email gene smith and jim tressel and let them know how you feel. or call them.

:

Jim Delany big ten commissioner:

jdelany@bigten.org 847-696-1010

jim tressel:

tressel.3@osu.edu 614-292-7620

gene smith OSU athletic director:

smith.5407@osu.edu 614-292-2477

Barbara Greenbaum is Delaney's Ass't, & who they steer you to

Here's the email addy I have for President Coleman at UM...

presoff@umich.edu

Article from the Toledo Blade....

http://www.toledoblade.com/article/20100825/SPORTS16/8240357

"I would prefer to see them in the same division, but if they go in opposite divisions, that's not our big crusade," said Gallagher, an OSU fan who was born in Toledo and grew up in Bryan. "We just want them to keep The Game the last game of the season."
AnnArbor.com columnist Michael Rothstein ripped the proposal earlier this week, opining, "So why mess with a bunch of tradition just on the off chance you might see Michigan-Ohio State twice in a row?" The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer reported that had OSU and UM been in opposite division over the past 17 years, they would have played in a title game just three or four times.
Edited by Fonzie

Link to the Detroit News article....

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100823/SPORTS0201/8230396/U-M--OSU-fans-join-forces-to-keep--The-Game--at-season-s-end

Gallagher is having a hard time grasping why anyone thinks moving the game from late November is a good idea: "As (OSU coach Jim) Tressel says, 'That's the season; everything else is the preseason.'"
Edited by Fonzie

:lol: splitting the Big Ten into 2 divisions will have ZERO effect on establishing an NCAA wide playoff system. It was one of 2 BCS conferences that didn't have a Conference Championship game with the other being the Big East. When it comes to divisionalizing the Big Ten I am a full supporter however think OSU and MI should only play 1 game per year to preserve the rivarly to its greatest potential. IF they play twice a year then ok cool but whatever at this point. The Big Ten needs something to bolster their reputation as other than OSU, PSU and Michigan up until Rich Rod...it lacked major competition like the SEC

What I am saying is that it is a start. HOPEFULLY, they create a play off system...

NCAA playoff system will never happen until the folks that are CURRENTLY getting their pockets lined by the bowl games that mean something, can continue to get their pockets lined in the same fashion. An NCAA playoff makes the end of the year bowl games less important.

True, but what it does is create a true top 10, let's say. Those true top ten teams play in 5 top bowl games... It's bigger than 5, I realize, but the potential is even greater if it is truly top 10 teams playing one another...

What I am saying is that it is a start. HOPEFULLY, they create a play off system...

I see what you are saying with the hopefully. I just don't think you should think its a start because quite frankly the Big Ten is behind the curve in the Conference Championship aspect. Again as was said earlier, a playoff is unlikely to happen anytime soon. I like it the way it is now but do like the idea of a playoff. All I care about is that games are still fun to watch across the board to me because it is the only sport where I can practically watch any game with any team and enjoy

Splitting the big 10 into 2 divisions has nothing to do with a playoff system.

It's happening because having 12 teams means there must be a conference championship game as their aren't enough regular season games to establish a definitive champ. There will still just be 1 big 10 champ to head into the bowl season.