do you allow test rides when selling?

redkow97

When I bought my Katana, I was able to road test it,eventually. Now the rest of the story..... I found out about the bike being for sale from my friend at the motorcycle shop. My friend had worked on the bike over the winter and knew the last 5 years history of this bike, since he was the one who worked on this bike. So, I was pretty much going to buy this bike just solely on my friends word. But I did want to look at and ride the bike just to make sure was still in the condition my friend remembering it.

My friend and I show up at the sellers house. Friend gives the bike a visual once over. Then I asked to road test the bike down the street. Seller says no. So, I said ok, not interested in the bike then if i cant ride it. Seller allows mechanic friend to ride bike. Friend says bike is operational, good condition. So, I asked again about riding the bike. This time, seller asks my friend if I know how to ride, even though I am standing right next to him. Friend says yes I know how to ride. Seller finally agrees and I ride the bike down the street.

I was going to buy the bike after my friend rode it. But I wanted to ride it just to make sure I fit on the bike and felt confortable on it.

Thank you for still reading this.

When I sold my last 2 street bikes, here is how those went. Sold my very first bike to a long time friend. No worries about allowing him to ride it. When I sold the Katana, buyer did not ride it and did not want to ride it.

Edited by scottb

Also the insurance issue is not as cut and dry as you might believe. If someone takes your bike for a test drive and crash, its your insurance that covers it not his. In other words...you have pay your deductible on your plan, and its all paid by your plan to be fixed. What does this mean? Your rates go up for someone else crashing your bike. This also holds true if you lend your truck/car to someone to haul a refrig/etc and they wreak it.

Glad I found this thread. I have been thinking about this as I am trying to sell my first bike.

When I bought the bike I didn’t have my endorsement and didn't ride it. I just looked at it and sat on it. I got a good feeling from the guy, he is actually a good friend now and he delivered it to my house. It stayed in the garage for about a week until I finished the MSF course and got my endorsement.

Definitely seems like they need their endorsement to test ride. Not temps, that means nothing. Then from there it seems like the feeling you get from the person.

I would do a cash in hand, have them sign something stating if they fuck it up, they just purchased it.

Sounds shitty, but you gotta do what's best for you. I just sold my bike and it didn't turn into an issue, so I'm glad, but the buyer was really cool about the whole thing.

Edit to clarify: That's a, "Cash in my hand" scenario.

yeah...

Pretty sure i've got a buyer lined up. Offered me $1500 sight unseen, and asked if I have a local notary that's open on Sunday (when he's coming to take a look at the bike).

Guy's only got a temporary permit; at least I assume as much, because he asked me to ride or trailer it to his house because he "can't take the highway."

crossing my fingers that he doesn't change his mind.

you should just go get the title notarized NOW whenever you can. then you dont have to fuck with anything, its all on him. if he shows up at 10 pm on a sunday to buy it, no worries. get cash, give him the title and its all ready for him to take it to the DMV monday morning.