trackday transport (trailer, truck, van, hotel?)

redkow97

I'm cheap. There, I said it. I have a 4x8 open trailer and sleep in a tent for almost every trackday.

But ultimately, I would like to get my brother to be at 90% of my trackdays (riding), and some day routinely bring the wife, dog, and (hypothetical) kids.

with that in mind, I've given some thought to transport and sleeping options:

OPEN TRAILER + HOTEL

Pros:

- inexpensive (trailer, not hotel)

- good on gas

- no packing a bed

- shower/toilet

- family friendly

Cons:

- Hotels aren't always cheap

- not staying at the track

- security of bike on open trailer

PIMPED ENCLOSED 6X12 (or larger)

Pros:

- stay at the track (convenient & fun)

- can sleep in it/no setting up tent

- better security than open

- can fit 2-3 bikes and 'stuff'

- family friendly with big enough setup and right layout.

Cons:

- need large® vehicle to pull it.

- worse gas mileage (due to larger vehicle)

- still no toilet/shower

- fairly expensive. I figure $3k-$5k when all is said and pimped. (that buys a lot of hotel rooms...)

TOY HAULER

Pros:

- sleep at track with toilet/shower(?)

- no hotel expenses!

- ability to cook real meals

Cons:

- expensive as hell! ($16k-$30k)

- need very large tow vehicle

- terrible gas mileage

- need large tow vehicle

CARGO VAN (+ small trailer?)

Pros:

- sleep at the track (fun & convenient)

- not much more expensive than an enclosed trailer. ($5k)

- secures 2 bikes

- wouldn't be a daily driver, so bad mileage isn't all the time like having a large tow vehicle as daily driver.

- could add open trailer to transport third or fourth bikes

Cons:

- not a lot of space

- can really only transport 2 people (not family friendly)

- is cost of vehicle more than just paying for hotels?

So that's where i'm at. The bottom line is that hotels seem to be the most practical choice, but the one I'm least inclined to like.

I really enjoy hanging out at the track, but like I wrote above, $3k spent on a trailer buys 30 hotel nights. I can't imagine my family would be coming to the track that often, so that would take a few YEARS to rationalize.

the van is the next best option. split a $5k van with my brother, and then we sell the open trailer, or keep it around for occasional use. Sleeping in the van eliminates the need to pack and setup tents. I'm sure we could rig AC, and we get the bonus of better security for our stuff.

Am I crazy to think this is the cheapest way to 'upgrade?'

i feel your pain.. even though im just getting started, im torn between an enclosed and open trailer... right now im fortunate enough to have a truck, and my buddy lets me borrow his open trailer whenever i want. but i want my own trailer by next year.. and i really dont want to plop down a couple grand for an enclosed.. but in the end i know thats what ill end up wanting

track days and race weekends are short. Most tracks have showers and bathrooms. Get a van or enclosed trailer and cam inside them. Ur family should be able to deal with 2-3 days in a van/trailer. I bring a 9yr old, a baby and g/f and sometimes dog with me to the track everytime. I use a air mattress in the trailer and live nicely in there. The goal is to not pay hotels any $$$$ and put all $$$ possible to the bike and gear. Once u have a trailer/van u will have a place to leave all ur stuff and its easier to pack for trips. Hotels are for rich people....

I use my trailer and cots. It has saved me a ton over the last few years. Granted the trailer was 3K but with doing over 30 days the last 2 years that would be 60 nights in a hotel.

but what kind of gas mileage does your tow vehicle get? That's a big factor for me. And I don't do 15 days a year (although i'd like to get to that point).

My wife's Tucson (v6 - i'm not a total pussy) gets 20-22mpg pulling the open trailer. I doubt mileage would suffer with a second bike on it. (w/o the trailer, it'll get 26 hwy)

having a V8 as a daily driver ups gas money considerably over the life of the vehicle, and I'd really only need a V8 when towing...

That's what's most appealing about the van. Like the trailer, I can park it when I'm not using it. But unlike the trailer, I don't need a V8 as a daily driver.

And vans are shockingly cheap. if you're willing to get a late 90's or early 2000's model with 100-150k miles on the clock, they're comparable to a used 6x12 enclosed trailer. $3k - $5k.

There is a lot less space inside the trailer to "pimp," but I still think it's the cheaper option.

the only real draw-back to the van is that you can really only seat 2 adults. Fine for now, but not forever.

I'm really REALLY crossing my fingers that with the extended length van, you could leave the first row bench seat in behind the driver. That's a kid-sized bed as far as i'm concerned.

yeah, I saw him "instructing" last time I was at Mid-Ohio.

Fast rider and a nice kid, but I didn't see him doing any instructing at all. Looked pretty good in the AMA round at Mid-O though.

I'd prefer to have a plain jane van if possible. The cargo trucks have double axles that increase toll prices (i think). Plus I could probably fit a standard van in a storage unit.

yeah, I saw him "instructing" last time I was at Mid-Ohio.

Fast rider and a nice kid, but I didn't see him doing any instructing at all. Looked pretty good in the AMA round at Mid-O though.

I'd prefer to have a plain jane van if possible. The cargo trucks have double axles that increase toll prices (i think). Plus I could probably fit a standard van in a storage unit.

The box van Ryan is selling is awesome. Plus, at just under $5k, it is a WAY better deal than a van. Think about it, you can BARELY get a bike and gear and such in a van. Plus, when at the track over night, you'd have to unload at the early morning hours to sleep in the back. With Ryan's deal, you could have a fold down bed (if it doesn't already) and have the bike secured on one side and simply open the back up and crawl in.

Plus, that box van isn't going to get much worse fuel mileage than a standard extended length E series van...

Enclosed trailer is the way to go for sure, but you'd pay $2500-$3k minimum for an enclosed and have to get a pulling truck. Again, the box van kills the whole deal.

My personal opinion is if you can get a box van that cheap in that good of condition, it is a better deal...

Didn't you just recently state that you were taped out of funds for track days and such? Things change?

i am pretty tapped out, but my brother's graduating in December. With someone to take on half my gas costs, I'm in slightly better shape.

The van/trailer/etc. is probably 3 years off, after I finish law school; but if we were to find a great deal and split a van, the cost would be really minimal.

I also recently changed jobs. It's creating some short-term instability with finances, but in the next 12 months, it should (knock on wood) improve considerably.

I'm just sick of setting up a damn tent at the track...

i am pretty tapped out, but my brother's graduating in December. With someone to take on half my gas costs, I'm in slightly better shape.

The van/trailer/etc. is probably 3 years off, after I finish law school; but if we were to find a great deal and split a van, the cost would be really minimal.

I also recently changed jobs. It's creating some short-term instability with finances, but in the next 12 months, it should (knock on wood) improve considerably.

I'm just sick of setting up a damn tent at the track...

That's great to hear you aren't leaving us! I still would look at being able to set up some type of RV style stuff inside. That box van is the way to go. I've seen fold up beds, showers, etc in them and still having more than enough room for everything else. They have it set up at almost the point it needs nothing. And for the price, it is a damn clean truck...

where do you get a box van? go up to uhaul and say i wanna buy one of your old vans...???

Commercial truck sales places sell box vans that I've seen. We have 2 here at my work, both bought used from a heavy equipment type dealer I believe

where do you get a box van? go up to uhaul and say i wanna buy one of your old vans...???

If nothing else, you want to look at when uHaul is getting rid of their trucks (mileage and age), and use that as a measuring stick for when things start to go wrong with them.

this is their business, and U-Haul corporate (i believe they're franchised) probably has a pretty good grasp on when it's most cost-effective to renew your fleet.

In their case, reliability is the top priority. Renting a truck that breaks down is hugely terrible public relations and bad publicity. Just something to keep in mind.

the box van idea is growing on me... Built-in ramp and ability to stand inside the back is appealing for sure.

are these reliable and well maintained?

The ones we have are decent, but they also get the shit beat out of them more than uHaul ones by our construction company.

If nothing else, you want to look at when uHaul is getting rid of their trucks (mileage and age), and use that as a measuring stick for when things start to go wrong with them.

this is their business, and U-Haul corporate (i believe they're franchised) probably has a pretty good grasp on when it's most cost-effective to renew your fleet.

In their case, reliability is the top priority. Renting a truck that breaks down is hugely terrible public relations and bad publicity. Just something to keep in mind.

the box van idea is growing on me... Built-in ramp and ability to stand inside the back is appealing for sure.

Knowing some of the uhaul trucks I have gotten in the past as well as what myself and friends have treated them like, I would stay far far away unless you are a competent mechanic.

We had 1 we got from uhaul and the motor blew within 6 months of having it. This one was not beat to shit after we bought it since it was driven by one of the senior field workers who drove like a grandpa

i think what he is saying is to check with uhaul and see when they get rid of their box vans because they would know the limit of their trucks capabilities due to them needing reliability for their customers, not to get them from uhaul.

ahhhhh I mis-read that then

i think what he is saying is to check with uhaul and see when they get rid of their box vans because they would know the limit of their trucks capabilities due to them needing reliability for their customers, not to get them from uhaul.

yeah, that's what I was going for.

Another draw-back to U-Haul is that I'm fairly certain they ONLY purchase gasoline vehicles. I'd prefer diesel in something that large, if it were at all possible.

the other thing to consider is that you're only fitting 2 people in a U-haul; maybe 3 if you all really like each other... Not conducive to bringing the family along unless they chase in a second vehicle. For as often as they make the trip though, that might be a viable option.