Friend needs prayers

dustinsn3485

So today started off great...Up at 6:30 on the road to Deals Gap by 7. Jenny and I were meeting up with a friend from Indy that was in TN, a week after her birthday for the holiday riding around with her husband, among other family members. We texted all morning, updating locations and eta. They were staying at the Punkin Center MC resort on 129. We decided to haul the bike down and parked closer to Maryville and rode down to meet them at the Harley gas station also on 129. We were running late, they were running late but we were all going to get to the gas station about the same time. So I thought, we pass punkin center, then get to the 72/129 intersection and there is an RV in the road and a bunch of people out and directing traffic. I get a glimpse of the bike and my stomach sinks, but I refuse to believe so I pull into the gas station and our friend is not there. We turn around to find out that it was her bike, but we had passed the squad on our way back to the scene, she was being air lifted to UT hospital in Knoxville. Anyway she needs prayers, it appears she's in a lot worse shape than initially expected...Shattered pelvis, broken ankle, calf muscles are dying, back needs to be fused in 4 places. That's the glamous description, she's in the critical care unit.

Her hjusband called Jenny not too long ago and he's a mess, has been crying and just asked for lots of prayers. This girl never stops smiling, they said she was smiling and in good spirits the whole time.

I'm not sure how the wreck happened, but I think the RV must have been turning onto 72 and she was going straight on 129 and hit him nearly head on then she got ran over more or less, but no one can say for sure...

Picture of friend and bike involved...

picture.php?albumid=360&pictureid=12414

Just got updated, she is out of surgery. 7 of her vertebrae were fused using bone from her pelvis. Her pelvis was also operated on. Both of those appear to be successful. They are waiting to do surgery on her ankle, it's on the same side so it could be a week before they're able to operate. Doctor is optimistic that her leg can be saved. Though skin grafts will be required.

I think on willpower alone she's going to pull through this just fine...this is the latest from her friend at the hospital

ally asked to write something down. she asked to sit up more and asked about her back and how many vert. they had to fix. she is very aware of whats going on! damn she is super strong chick!

a bike is like a gift and a curse. you ride knowing full well what can happen, but the joy of riding outweighs the inherent dangers. i hope she has a full recovery from this tragic accident, my prayers are with her. i hope i never have to see a friend down, i'm not sure how i'd ride again.

like i said, thoughts and prayers go out to you, her, and her family.

I've been contemplating just wearing my textile gear to Deals Gap this week. I think your post just put a fork in that idea. Stinky leathers for me. :(

I hope your friend gets well with minimal permanent injuries. :(

I think leathers are always a good idea at the gap. I'm still not sure what she was wearing for gear, I know it was not leathers though. Not sure if it was textile or less though.

On a good note, she is aware and has been writing stuff. The tube has been removed from her throat and she's eating ice chips. There was mention of her possibly being moved from ICU and into a room. She also asked to be raised to a sitting position instead of laying. Also she wanted to sit in a chair and they are going to let her. Her only major complication still is her leg. It's vacuum sealed and requires surgery every other day to redress. Doctors are confident it will be saved though.

Considering the surgery she had yesterday, she's making huge progress. Thanks for all the prayers!