Friend needs prayers

dustinsn3485

Thanks. She's recovering still...Has been moved to a room. There isn't any major news. Hoping to get to see her this weekend. I know they did another surgery on her leg and a whirlpool bath. They are going to have to remove a bunch of dead skin from her leg before they can begin doing skin grafts.

Thats about it, she seems to be in really good spirits and making a remarkable recovery. If they are allowing visitors, I will have another update on Sunday most likely.

Jesus, I hadn't seen this until now. My thoughts and prayers are definitely with your friend. That's horrible. Any word how the accident happened?

Sort of...old guy was driving his RV north on 129. Friend was going south on 129. RV went to turn onto 72 west. (This is the intersection that has the two biker hangouts and does bbq's a lot) Anyway, RV didn't stop before turning and moved into southbound lane to make the turn less difficult to make with his entire rig. One of the witnesses overheard him speaking with the officers and he said, "there is not a stop sign I dont have to stop!"

Essentially, on one of the most popular motorcycle roads in the country this guy was driving in the wrong lane around a blind corner as he was preparing to turn onto another road and didn't yield to oncoming traffic.

I haven't heard if he had been cited or not, but someone saw him later on 411 going north again, so he presumably was lost in the first place...

Sort of...old guy was driving his RV north on 129. Friend was going south on 129. RV went to turn onto 72 west. (This is the intersection that has the two biker hangouts and does bbq's a lot) Anyway, RV didn't stop before turning and moved into southbound lane to make the turn less difficult to make with his entire rig. One of the witnesses overheard him speaking with the officers and he said, "there is not a stop sign I dont have to stop!"

Essentially, on one of the most popular motorcycle roads in the country this guy was driving in the wrong lane around a blind corner as he was preparing to turn onto another road and didn't yield to oncoming traffic.

I haven't heard if he had been cited or not, but someone saw him later on 411 going north again, so he presumably was lost in the first place...

Wow that's a shame. I hate old people that can't drive. Hopefully everything works out for her.

If he's going northbound and wants to turn westbound then why move his rig onto the southbound lane "to make it easier" to turn left" I'd had thought he would stay in the northbound lane rather than cut the corner.

Now, if we wanted to turn right and go east then I can understand him moving into the southbound lane to make a wider sweeping turn. (once he has determined the lane in clear!)

Just got home from being with Ally. She's doing so well! Her room is covered with flowers and e-cards. She's so appreciative of all the support she's getting! We got to spend about four hours with her. She was in great spirits and really really thankful for all the support. Travis is doing better too, he finally got a good nights sleep. While we were there we got to take Ally outside for about 40 min. It was a beautiful day. She is able to sit up with a brace on and still has some pain, but is handling it very well. I couldn't be more proud of her and the quick progress she is making.

Surgery on her leg is tomorrow, but everything looks really positive for that. They are going to fix her ankle which is still fractured. I'm really glad Jenny and I got to go see her, she's doing so well and talking and laughing and again loving all the support she's getting. Her and Travis are grateful for all of it

This is why I'm not allowed to make the laws. I've already advocated for triple damages when the at-fault motorist violates a clearly traffic law. Specifically cases where the maneuver is ALWAYS illegal and split-second judgement is not a factor (ie, making a u-turn against a no-u-turn sign, as opposed to pulling out from a stop sign after misjudging the speed of an approaching vehicle)

The RV in this case would be liable for triple damages under my plan as he was driving on the wrong side of the road across a double-yellow approaching a blind bend. This is not a heat-of-the-moment judgement call, this is flat out illegal and always will be.

Another new rule:

Any operator of a vehicle who:

a) violates the right-of-way of another vehicle resulting in an accident

AND

b) states that he or she did not see the other vehicle

AND

c) should have seen the vehicle if he or she had looked

AND

d) has no external factors that would reaonably explain not seeing the other vehicle (such as the other vehicle had no headlights at night)

shall have his or driver's license suspended on the spot and shall not regain driving priviledges until he or she submits a medical clearance form from an optometrist stating that his or her sight has been tested and found to be safe for driving.

These driver should be glad this is America and not Saudi Arabia... They recently had a debate about whether to impose a sentence of "Medically Induced Paralysis" on a man who caused the paralysis of another man in a knife attack.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/08/20/world/main6789603.shtml

A Saudi judge has asked several hospitals in the country whether they could damage a man's spinal cord as punishment after he was convicted of attacking another man with a cleaver and paralyzing him, the brother of the victim said Thursday.

Abdul-Aziz al-Mutairi, 22, was left paralyzed and subsequently lost a foot after a fight more than two years ago. He asked a judge in northwestern Tabuk province to impose an equivalent punishment on his attacker under Islamic law, his brother Khaled al-Mutairi told The Associated Press by telephone from there.

I wonder if drivers would be more safe if they were punished eye-for-an-eye based upon the rider's injuries?

Interesting thoughts...It'll never happen, but it's good thoughts.

Just found out last night that Ally was transported back to her hometown, Indy. The surgery to repair her ankle went well. They had a plastic surgeon coming in sometime either yesterday or today to look at her leg and decide what will need to be done. They are also going to be putting her into a back and pelvic brace for the next couple months. She was, of course, really glad to be close to home again. There is still a lot to happen and thoughts and prayers are still needed.

• 2 months later...

Been awhile, but she's in PT now. Is walking again, though slowly of course. All of the casts, braces, etc are gone. So I guess you can say she's fully recovered and just doing the whole physical therapy thing to get back to normal.

She is thinking about riding again, not committed to it yet though.