Ouch

Uncle Punk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No surgery, the bones were close enough together to keep them from needing to go in and pin things. The follow up x-rays showed both knuckles are broken. I have to keep in immobile for six weeks so only scooter riding for me because I can't get gloves on.

Ouch is right! Take care of your finger bro. What kind of bike are you thinking about getting?*

I have thought better of a different bike. The cheapest new 600 will cost me $6,900 plus tax and I only paid $6,500 for my 1K. It doesn't make much sense to sell now only to buy again in the spring. Must have been the drugs talking.

Damn UnclePunk! I guess I won't be riding with you anymore this year. Looks bad!

On a lighter note, I'm making a career change and making my machinists move starting Thursday. Getting my Step II and the the Associates in it. Always been interested. Hoping to get a job in Aerospace with it.

I have been involved in the machining industry for over 25 years and for the first 15 I would have recommended you get into the profession but not today. If it weren’t for a little side business that my brother and I own, I doubt that I would have survived financially the past two years.

Damm that looks fucked up but I am in the same boat just had surgery on my wrist friday also no bike either. And thanks for all your help getting the heep back up to Cleveland as well as 1000rr rider you guys helped me out big time!!!!!!

You're welcome.

Heal up quick looks nasty.

What kind of machine was it? And I can't imagine a reason for having your fingers by the spindle/magazine for a tool change. Not criticizing, just want to learn from your mistake. That is one of the things I fear most is getting a body part stuck in a mill or under a part for that matter.

Criticize all you want it was a stupid dumbfuck decision for me to put my hand in harms way like I did.

I build, design and repair plastic injection molds so I hate production machining. I was on the last block of a multi-cavity job, there were a total of twenty-two blocks that were all slightly different and I set up programmed and cut each of them twice so I was pretty bored with the whole routine by the last block. The programs all ran different lengths of time and the machine would sit sometimes for a few hours before a block was changed or another program was ran. If the program ended at 4:00 AM it would sit until I got in the next morning but if it would stop at midnight I would run in (6 miles.) set up and start another block cutting. This last block I just happened to be sitting at the machine waiting for the block before it to finish because I had a lot of things to get done after the last block got set up and running, which was going to be for 4:30 plus or minus a few. The last cutter in the last program that ran cut for an hour at 24,000 RPM, even though we have a chiller on the spindle it still retains some heat. The first tool in the next program I was going to run ran at 4,000 RPM and all the tools are set after they have been heat soaked at the RPM they run at so I was concerned the first tool on the next program would cut deep because of the expansion from the heat still in the spindle from the last cutter. I decided it would be a good idea to call up another tool that wasn’t going to be used for a while to transfer some heat to it from the spindle. I made the tool change command, executed it and decided to see just how much heat the last tool that was cutting had in it to see how good of an idea I had trying to transfer some of that heat out so I reached up to touch the tool. WHAM, holy fucking shit I’m nailed to the tool by the tool changing arm. Poor decision.

I was thinking so far ahead about what I needed to get done that I forgot to look back. The machine has a 24 pot tool carousel that was about half full of different tools, when you make a tool change the carousel rotates to each tool holder, pauses then goes on to the next one until the tool you call for comes up to the position to drop down for the arm to grab it and change it with the one in the spindle. I called up the last cutter that was used so the carousel didn’t rotate and pause like it would have if I would have called for any other tool. The tool dropped down and the arm started to make the tool change with my finger in its way. I don’t know how I could have gotten my finger in the way so quickly looking back at how fast this all took place.

I will be fine in time and will see a lot of you guys at the motorcycle show this winter.

now, if UP sits on his non OSHA condemned hand til it goes numb and gives someone else a hand job, is it called "the familiar"? well, i guess for him, it'd be the "mah ninja!" except with the black version.

No surgery, the bones were close enough together to keep them from needing to go in and pin things. The follow up x-rays showed both knuckles are broken. I have to keep in immobile for six weeks so only scooter riding for me because I can't get gloves on.

I have thought better of a different bike. The cheapest new 600 will cost me $6,900 plus tax and I only paid $6,500 for my 1K. It doesn't make much sense to sell now only to buy again in the spring. Must have been the drugs talking.

I have been involved in the machining industry for over 25 years and for the first 15 I would have recommended you get into the profession but not today. If it weren’t for a little side business that my brother and I own, I doubt that I would have survived financially the past two years.

You're welcome.

Criticize all you want it was a stupid dumbfuck decision for me to put my hand in harms way like I did.

I build, design and repair plastic injection molds so I hate production machining. I was on the last block of a multi-cavity job, there were a total of twenty-two blocks that were all slightly different and I set up programmed and cut each of them twice so I was pretty bored with the whole routine by the last block. The programs all ran different lengths of time and the machine would sit sometimes for a few hours before a block was changed or another program was ran. If the program ended at 4:00 AM it would sit until I got in the next morning but if it would stop at midnight I would run in (6 miles.) set up and start another block cutting. This last block I just happened to be sitting at the machine waiting for the block before it to finish because I had a lot of things to get done after the last block got set up and running, which was going to be for 4:30 plus or minus a few. The last cutter in the last program that ran cut for an hour at 24,000 RPM, even though we have a chiller on the spindle it still retains some heat. The first tool in the next program I was going to run ran at 4,000 RPM and all the tools are set after they have been heat soaked at the RPM they run at so I was concerned the first tool on the next program would cut deep because of the expansion from the heat still in the spindle from the last cutter. I decided it would be a good idea to call up another tool that wasn’t going to be used for a while to transfer some heat to it from the spindle. I made the tool change command, executed it and decided to see just how much heat the last tool that was cutting had in it to see how good of an idea I had trying to transfer some of that heat out so I reached up to touch the tool. WHAM, holy fucking shit I’m nailed to the tool by the tool changing arm. Poor decision.

I was thinking so far ahead about what I needed to get done that I forgot to look back. The machine has a 24 pot tool carousel that was about half full of different tools, when you make a tool change the carousel rotates to each tool holder, pauses then goes on to the next one until the tool you call for comes up to the position to drop down for the arm to grab it and change it with the one in the spindle. I called up the last cutter that was used so the carousel didn’t rotate and pause like it would have if I would have called for any other tool. The tool dropped down and the arm started to make the tool change with my finger in its way. I don’t know how I could have gotten my finger in the way so quickly looking back at how fast this all took place.

I will be fine in time and will see a lot of you guys at the motorcycle show this winter.

Don't know squat about machining, but have done years of heavy press work in past lives... I'm taking it there's no emergency/stop button you can hit?

Glad they didn't have to cut the tip off ;)

Don't know squat about machining, but have done years of heavy press work in past lives... I'm taking it there's no emergency/stop button you can hit?

Glad they didn't have to cut the tip off ;)

Yes there is an E-stop. Only works out for you when things are going wrong U.P. ended up way past wrong. Biggest damn button on the control, but you can never find it when you need it. You can manually (machine over ride) do a tool change. I'm guessing with one hand stuck in the machine you can't get to the control. Not to mention you may need a spindle orientation (a few turns of the spindle) to unchuck. Thus removing whatever is stuck from your body.

I hit the big red button but way after the fact, I had no clue I was approaching danger until I was nailed to the machine. I was able to get the control panel rotated so I could try to give it some commands but nothing worked because the arm hadn’t completed its function so it kept throwing error codes. I turned the drivers on and off several times trying different scenarios but nothing worked. In fact like a dumbass I had the drivers on when the guys came over to help me. They were trying to pry the arm away from the tool holder to get my finger loose but the tool would spin, it would give me some relief until then but it wasn't enough to get my finger out plus it would reapply pressure, fuck that hurt. When we decided to unbolt the arm is when I got scared of what might happen to all of us inside the machine with the motor still running and removing bolts while it was still under power. Damn I made a lot of mistakes that day and thankfully nothing worse happened.

WOW. Just WOW. I missed this. I didn't know there was a contest for the worst open wound picture!!! Damn, at least I wasn't impaled on something...I can't even imagine.

Heal up bro...you're too good a rider to let a silly thing like a hole in your finger keep you down.

Wow.

Punk i've had close calls myself. I have been in the same field for 10yrs. Your exactly right "stupid dumbfuck" things happen. One time i was lifting a 5-600lb weldment with the crane. I put a boiler clamp on it, got distracted walked away for 5 minutes or so and came back. Started lifting it "assuming" i had tightend the clamp before i walked away. About 2 ft. off the ground the clamp walked right off the part hit the ground and fell over. It just barley hit me in the back of the leg.

Another time on a lathe i was putting chuck jaws in. Usually i put them in just snug enough to hold them in and turn the spindle on about 150 rpm to see if they are in right. But for whatever reason it fired up to 3000 rpm with the door open and slung all 3 off in about a nano second. So fast i didnt even see them fly off. One of them could have easly smashed me in the face. Luckily i havent been seriously hurt. But hey shit happens thats why they are called accidents. Now if you do it again............:D

• 4 weeks later...

Started rehabbing by myself (under doctors advice.), if I don't show improvement in three weeks I will be going to forced rehab. Fuck this hurts almost as much as it did a week after the accident. I am passive force moving it now and next week I add active movement to it using my tendons. It takes the first ten minutes each day just to see any movement.

You guys with your riding threads were killing me this past weekend. I hope we get another good weather weekend in about three weeks, I think I will try to ride again about then.

Started rehabbing by myself (under doctors advice.), if I don't show improvement in three weeks I will be going to forced rehab. Fuck this hurts almost as much as it did a week after the accident. I am passive force moving it now and next week I add active movement to it using my tendons. It takes the first ten minutes each day just to see any movement.

You guys with your riding threads were killing me this past weekend. I hope we get another good weather weekend in about three weeks, I think I will try to ride again about then.

do you get to hear any of the scar tissue popping and cracking on the inside.... thats pretty gross when that starts happening!

No noises, I must be doing it wrong. I have started to drink again after a long layoff from it. Makes the meds last longer.

I am also trying out the new kinder, gentler Uncle Punk when it come to pointing out obvious stupidity posted blatantly right in front of my face taunting me to post snarky fucktard responses.

No noises, I must be doing it wrong. I have started to drink again after a long layoff from it. Makes the meds last longer.

I am also trying out the new kinder, gentler Uncle Punk when it come to pointing out obvious stupidity posted blatantly right in front of my face taunting me to post snarky fucktard responses.

when they started really to force my knee it was like a bowl or rice crispy cearal :lol:

its not a normal crack.... it gets to a certain point and then you can feel something holding it then the sadistic thearapist will give it a nice shove and you will he... snap snap snap... and you get about 5 more degrees of motion :puke:

its not a normal crack.... it gets to a certain point and then you can feel something holding it then the sadistic thearapist will give it a nice shove and you will he... snap snap snap... and you get about 5 more degrees of motion :puke:

Oh, the ones that sound like something is breaking! Gotcha!