QT50 Yamahopper Malossi 65cc Kit

vw151

The yamahopper is back.

A month or so ago I burnt the piston on the yamahopper. Likely due to a lack of fuel.

Anyway I picked up this malossi 65cc kit. The kit is actually made for a yamaha Sting which is a bike only availabe in Europe. Getting it to fit required a little grinding. It's pretty bad assed. I lifted these pics off another guy on the scooter forums. This is what the new top end parts look like.

1276703774211.jpg

1276703709106.jpg

1276703740402.jpg

The list of ridiculous shit I've done to this scooter is getting to look like a bike you'd buy on the WERA forum.

Malossi 65cc Cylinder (7 ports compared to 3 on the old cylinder)

Malossi high comp single ring piston (it's domed)

Puch 45mm diameter High comp head

Boyesen dual stage reeds

PW50 rear differential (taller gearing)

BMX foot pegs

Biturbo expansion chamber exhaust

Bumped main jet to a 90 from a 70

2.5 inch tires front and rear (from 2.0 front and 2.25 rear, Had to modify front fender to fit)

replacement seat cover

I got it running this weekend and it seems to pull really well once it hits the pipe. I haven't revved it out as far as it'll go yet. I'm still taking spark plug readings and trying to be careful not to burn it up.

Anyway, here are the pics.

Here is the puch head I used with this kit

1977_moped_parts_Puch-70cc-High-Comp-Head-707.jpg

Here is the old piston

IMG_9718.jpg

The old cylinder

IMG_9719.jpg

IMG_9722.jpg

The old Head

IMG_9720.jpg

IMG_9721.jpg

Here is the new top end installed.

IMG_9723.jpg

IMG_9730.jpg

I had to bump up to a 90 jet in the carb and am running a K&N filter

IMG_9729.jpg

I'm running a PW50 differential, it has taller gearing because the PW50 has 10inch wheels compared the QT50s 14" wheels

IMG_9728.jpg

funny thing, the PW50 has a longer axle so I had to use a bunch of washers to get the wheel to tightly bolt on.

IMG_9731.jpg

Here is the stock differential

IMG_9725.jpg

IMG_9726.jpg

Here is the biturbo exhaust

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_9733.jpg

I was bored while I was waiting for some stuff to come in the mail so I removed a lot of the packing material from the silencer. It's really loud now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1S-Q3ObFQU

• Upvote 1

This has to be the envy of all the 14 year olds with mopeds. How fast does it go?

Not sure yet, I didn't run it all the way out last night. I'm thinking mid to low 40s. A guy on the forums had one with this kit doing 50.

You can laugh all you want, this bike is fun as shit.

The list of ridiculous shit I've done to this scooter is getting to look like a bike you'd buy on the WERA forum.

Malossi 65cc Cylinder (7 ports compared to 3 on the old cylinder)

Malossi high comp single ring piston (it's domed)

Puch 45mm diameter High comp head

Boyesen dual stage reeds

PW50 rear differential (taller gearing)

BMX foot pegs

Biturbo expansion chamber exhaust

Bumped main jet to a 90 from a 70

2.5 inch tires front and rear (from 2.0 front and 2.25 rear, Had to modify front fender to fit)

replacement seat cover

Where the f*ck's the steering damper??? :lol:

30, 31 years ago me and the boys had RoadRunner mopeds, got 'em at Handy Bikes in Grandview. They were Canadian Motebecanes, created through a deal with Dixie International (Columbus/Indianola ave.) and Handy Bikes, and would do 42 or so on level ground, 45+ downhill, all stock. One of the guys had the variable (variator?) speed model, it was 45/50, level/downhill. Gotta remember, the law at the time said mopeds were only allowed to go 20mph.

Used to think I was Kenny Roberts, hanging off that thing in turns, full tuck on straights to see how fast we could go. Ahh, the good old days... :)

I got my old Ducati Corse 50cc pit bike to 67mph.:D

Malossi 80cc kit.

Technigas RS exhaust.

Malossi Ignigion coil.

Del 'Orto 19cc Carb.

Add some weights and variator work, it it was a chick magnet. Not as much as the Yamahopper though, I would guess...:bow:

This thread brings back the memories, 10 years ago I was doing the opposite. I put QT gears and a 60cc kit on my kids PW, the Yamahopper gears gave the PW some grunt so it would pull off the corners faster.

Thumbs up to your build.

I've read that on some forums. One day when I have kids this knowledge might come in handy.

I took it on a ride to Gahanna today. GPSed it at 42/43 on the flats. It's not bad off the line, falls on it's face from about 20mph to 30mph, need to even drop to 3/4 throttle then at about 30mph it gets on the pipe and pulls pretty good to 40ish mph. I think I might have it jetted a little rich but am nervous about leaning it out. Actually got it up to 45mph today and it would pull up hills at 40mph assuming you had already gotten to that speed on the flats.

This thing is so fun.

I got my old Ducati Corse 50cc pit bike to 67mph.:D

Malossi 80cc kit.

Technigas RS exhaust.

Malossi Ignigion coil.

Del 'Orto 19cc Carb.

Add some weights and variator work, it it was a chick magnet. Not as much as the Yamahopper though, I would guess...:bow:

67mph is really fast.

I've read that on some forums. One day when I have kids this knowledge might come in handy.

I took it on a ride to Gahanna today. GPSed it at 42/43 on the flats. It's not bad off the line, falls on it's face from about 20mph to 30mph, need to even drop to 3/4 throttle then at about 30mph it gets on the pipe and pulls pretty good to 40ish mph. I think I might have it jetted a little rich but am nervous about leaning it out. Actually got it up to 45mph today and it would pull up hills at 40mph assuming you had already gotten to that speed on the flats.

This thing is so fun.

I was down through Gahanna today, if I'd have loved to have seen that thing out on the road! :)

• 2 months later...
I'm liking the frame slider foot pegs! :D

Thanks, glad you like them. That shit is "chip foose"

They are actually BMX pegs, I reused the single engine mount bolts to also mount the pegs up high like that. The old pegs would drag in turns.