new from Akron, and a few questions

trashbox

Just thought I'd introduce myself. Bought a 2008 WR250X last year. I was just using it to ride around town, but now I'm wanting to do some longer riding. I'm planning to pick up another bike this winter. Probably a Triumph Bonneville. Anyone near Akron that does day trips or adventure touring type rides? Been trying to find some good dirt roads and other places to mess around. Also want to do some street only trips and that's why I'm looking to pick up another bike. Also wondering if anyone commutes year round in Ohio. What about the snow? Is it possible? Stupid? Anyway, glad I found this forum. Finally getting around to introducing myself and hopefully find some other people that like to do the same type of riding.

Welcome... :)

I only ride 2 or 3 miles to work, but i ride all year around. There was one month where there was snow/ice on the road non-stop and I didn't ride then, but if the roads are clear, wear some extra clothing and be careful!

Stupid is as Stupid does man -- if you wanna ride in the winter, more power to you.

Just don't try to touch your tongue to your balls of steel when its that cold out -- it might get stuck.

:lol:

I've tried that! Riding in the winter that is. I've tried the other too, but only dogs seem to be able to do that.

Riding in the winter seems like a good idea until you've gone down on ice. It happens so fast, there is no time to even catch yourself. Hurts,even with many layers of clothes on. I stop riding at 40 degrees.

Welcome from one newb to another, I personally stop riding at around 35-40F as well because as mentioned above, you don't even see the ice coming sometimes and it's already too late to do anything. You could probably get some studded tires for rims from the wr250r, but why go through all the trouble?

on an unrelated thought, now I really want to see someone riding with knobbies in snow with skis on and their feet down, sortof like outriggers :D

Welcome! I'm a newb as well. I would like to ride into winter, but I doubt it will last long, as my commute to work is 14 miles, and to school is 25, both on the highway. Even so, I haven't driven my car in so long, I'm dreading going back to the blasted thing.

Welcome from one newb to another, I personally stop riding at around 35-40F as well because as mentioned above, you don't even see the ice coming sometimes and it's already too late to do anything. You could probably get some studded tires for rims from the wr250r, but why go through all the trouble?

on an unrelated thought, now I really want to see someone riding with knobbies in snow with skis on and their feet down, sortof like outriggers :D

med_motorcycle_skis.jpg

Or how about this!

SnowTraxx.jpg?iact=hc&vpx=797&vpy=74&dur=1305&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=181&ty=104&ei=Cv6fTI6fJpSqsAPpruzVAQ&oei=xv2fTNbmCuOfnwfgluWFDQ&esq=4&page=1&tbnh=128&tbnw=169&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0

• Downvote 1

Somebody stop at my house when its -15 degrees, with 3 inches of slush on the road. Been waitin years to see one of you BSers on the road when its actually winter.

If there is 3 inches of slush there has been salt, as I mentioned before, my riding season has ended till the next year, unless it warms up a bit and rains some to wash the roads off.

Last year my season ended 2 weeks before Christmas, a 300+ mile ride.

A guy I know in Mahopac, NY rides year around, he does not even own a car, just 4 Buells, a Blast, an XB12, an 1125R, and an 1125CR.

They have serious Winters up there, he rides the Blast mostly in the Winter Months, lays it down quite a bit.

Welcome!

I'm new to the area as well. Not a big fan of off roading. Clean dry smooth twisties are what a crave.

cold tires are what I always worry about. Also, bike is in hibernations once the first salt hits the road until the first good spring rain to wash it away. Hopefully we'll have a few more good weekends to ride.