New addition to the family.

chevysoldier

Haha, I shoot clays with a long barrel full choke. (I think it's a 30 inch, but that sounds kinda long..)

You wouldn't believe how long I can wait and still hit it.

Yeah, I am gonna have to pick em off pretty quick with only 18.5" barrel.

got a question about guns, i wanna get a gun for protection purposes at my apartment. What all do i have to do to legally get one? do i have to take a hunters course or no?

For one thing you need to find out if your apartment allows firearms. Ohio's Castle doctrine was mad law June 10th 2008. Part of the law reads:

n addition to adopting the Castle Doctrine, SB 184 provides other important guarantees to gun owners. For example, the bill prohibits landlords from disallowing gun ownership by their tenants. Ohio R.C. §2923.126©(3)(b).

If you signed your lease after the date this went into effect, they cannot ban you from having firearms. If you signed a rental agreement before June 10th 2008, check your paperwork for a firearm clause. If there is something about them not allowing, I don't know how or if you can get around that.

You must be 18 to buy long guns and 21 to buy handguns from a dealer in Ohio. (I think those are the ages.) There is more to the ages I'm sure, I just don't know the specifics.

No classes are required to own them inside your residence. Although remember without a concealed carry permit you cannot walk outside with a loaded handgun concealed on your person. Ohio is an open carry state so you can walk out with a loaded handgun in plain sight on your hip or a long gun. Although I highly recommend against doing this at your place. Remember out of sight, out of mind.

If you buy a gun from a store, you will have to have an instant background check done. If it passes, you walk out same day with the gun.

I am not a lawyer and this is worth exactly what you paid for it, zilch. check out buckeyefirearms.org, ofcc.org and codes.ohio.gov.

Edited by chevysoldier

Nice I have an old 870 express but mine has the wood stock and foregrip. They are good guns.

I have heard nothing but good things about the 870s which is why I opted for it. Plus the price was in my range. I wanted the black synthetic since it will be primarily for home defense and I like it being more tactical.

Congrats on your purchase. I have the same style 870, except I have the 2 round extention on the mag tube. My 18.5 barrel is a cylinder bore and not threaded for screw in chokes, not that you would need a choke for home defense. I do know that this set up kicks hard. No sure if it is due to the synthetic stock and short barrel, or if all 12 gauges are like that. After about 15 rounds, your shoulder will feel it.

Congrats on your purchase. I have the same style 870, except I have the 2 round extention on the mag tube. My 18.5 barrel is a cylinder bore and not threaded for screw in chokes, not that you would need a choke for home defense. I do know that this set up kicks hard. No sure if it is due to the synthetic stock and short barrel, or if all 12 gauges are like that. After about 15 rounds, your shoulder will feel it.

I've been pricing the 2 round extensions for it, probably pick one up before long. Where did you get yours? What brand? There are quite a few different ones and not sure which is the best.

My barrel is not threaded either. Maybe down the road I'll pick up something like this:

SHT-600.jpg

My extention was on it when i got it out of the box, so I assume Remington brand? The model number on the box is 25077. So with the 2 round extention, the barrel and the mag tube are the same length. I have found it will be almost the same price for me to buy a seond 870 shotgun then it would be to purchase a second barrrel. I plan to get a second 870 for turkey hunting and skeet shooting. I am using a borrowed barrel with my current 870 to go turkey hunting next saturday.

I almost prefer to get a second 870 so my home defense 870 will not see the elements.

Here is what i have:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-synthetic-7-round.aspx

870exp7rnd-prod.ashx

I bought mine in January of this year and probably over paid, it cost $425.

I see a standard wood stock 870 at an outdoor place by me is on sale for $239..

I have about 200 rounds through mine, and works well. When i first got it, I had an issue where the spent round would not eject, but the problem went away after about 50 rounds.

Well, shot about 25 rounds through it today, between me and my dad. I like it a lot, shoots great. We didn't have any clays but we were tossing washer fluid jugs 1/3 full of water into the air. :lol: Was a blast.

Hillbilly. :D

Try shooting 3" magnum slugs. It'll break your shoulder.

Glad to hear there were no issues with the the new addition. Most of the sporting good store like Dick's has 100 round packs of federal target loads for about $20-$22. Good for all around fun.

We got the same ammo, probably 250 rounds (guessing) for 50 bucks.

Yea thanks that helped me out a lot, my dad was saying that i have to take a hunters saftey course, im safe about guns because he has taught me how to handle, store, and clean them. I just recently got a new apartment so its to late.

No, it isn't too late. If you just recently got an apartment, according to the Castle Doctrine that was passed into law before you signed, then you are allowed to have guns and the owners cannot stop you. If there is a clause in your contract that says you can't, I would imagine that would be a violation of law and you can get around it.

INAL.

Well here is the first accessory to be put on. I feel so much more comfortable shooting with the pistol grip, more natural for me it seems. I'm gonna had a rubber grip to it though.

It came with a new foregrip but I like the original better. The new one seems to have less grip on it.

Edited by chevysoldier