year miles?

turboglock

Heated gear = 110% WIN!! Back in '08 I rode from Decatur, IL to Columbus, OH (about 350 miles) just after thanksgiving time, and the highest temp I saw all day, which was around 1:30 pm, was 17 degrees in Montezuma, Indiana. Feet were a little cold, but the rest of me wasn't bad at all. I was much colder every time I had to stop for gas and everything else and get unbundled, lol. Made it there in one piece with all my fingers and toes still working ;)

I bet people gave you strange looks. I have been out in 18* around town and got strange looks then. I could imagine being on the highway. Did you follow semis ?

Heated gear = 110% WIN!! Back in '08 I rode from Decatur, IL to Columbus, OH (about 350 miles) just after thanksgiving time, and the highest temp I saw all day, which was around 1:30 pm, was 17 degrees in Montezuma, Indiana. Feet were a little cold, but the rest of me wasn't bad at all. I was much colder every time I had to stop for gas and everything else and get unbundled, lol. Made it there in one piece with all my fingers and toes still working ;)

I bet people gave you strange looks. I have been out in 18* around town and got strange looks then. I could imagine being on the highway. Did you follow semis ?

Oh yea definitely got some strange looks alright! haha Literally every single gas stop at least one person would say... "it's a little cold to be on that thing, isn't it??". Or "oh man you've gotta be freezing on that thing!". Didn't follow any semis.... prob not a bad idea though!

DSC00071.jpg

From what I've seen, you're not exactly considered sane though! :lol:

Oh yea definitely got some strange looks alright! haha Literally every single gas stop at least one person would say... "it's a little cold to be on that thing, isn't it??". Or "oh man you've gotta be freezing on that thing!". Didn't follow any semis.... prob not a bad idea though!

I have had those too. hahaha Great observations !

DSC00071.jpg

We are getting off track but I am intrigued. How did you rig the bike to handle the load for gloves, vest, chaps, etc. Forgot the foot warmers. Also a balaclava alone can not be enough to protect your face. How did you handle that?

• 5 months later...
12,000+ on busa, about 2,000 on TLS..

Looking at heated liners and a vstrom, goin for 20,000 this year,

Don't think I'll make it.

ended up with 14000 on busa and about 2k on TLS = 16,000

Already have 1k on the new SuMo this year...;)

We are getting off track but I am intrigued. How did you rig the bike to handle the load for gloves, vest, chaps, etc. Forgot the foot warmers. Also a balaclava alone can not be enough to protect your face. How did you handle that?

Most bikes can't handle it. You need about 10amps minimum for spark, which is 120 watts at 12v. Headlight 55w, brakelight 30-40w, other lights 20-40w. Nothing left over for much more than electric gloves.

Electric vests and pants can draw 100w each or more. So bikes with 500watt output and higher will do it all. That would be serious touring bikes.

It's hard to find info on alternator output. Usually have to dig through the service manual to find it. Basic bikes have maybe around 250watts output. My bike has 380watts, enough to run most of the heated gear, but not all. And probably not on maximum heat. Yes, when your rpms drop, the alternator can't keep up the high output. Alternator outputs are usually rated at 3000rpm and higher. Most bikes won't even charge the battery at less then 3000rpm.