Too Close Or In The Blind Spot? Pick One

tyler524

Where would you rather be in traffic?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you rather be in traffic?

• Close to the person in front of you.
    • In the blind spot of the person next to you.

I was thinking the other day when I was on I-75 in heavy traffic and I wanted to see some others opinions on this subject. Would you rather speed up a bit to get out of someones blind spot and get fairly close to the vehicle in front of you, or would you rather ride the blind spot. I realize this is a no good situation either way you put it but it does happen when you ride interstate frequently. Sometimes I will speed up and other times I will hold the blind spot but try and let myself be known. Usually slowing down out of the blind spot is not an option unless you want to get ran over by the person behind you.

Why not slow down and avoid both in an effort to constantly improve your position?

Because there is always some jackass behind you in heavy traffic that is too close to you and doesn't slow down when you try to

Because there is always some jackass behind you in heavy traffic that is too close to you and doesn't slow down when you try to

They pretty much have to..or else they cause an accident. Personally, its out of a blind spot for riding, driving I would rather be in it if I HAD to pick. I would prefer to change position constantly.

If I can't ride in a place where I can see the eyes (beside, ahead or in sight of his mirrors) of any driver ahead of, behind or beside me then I'll either slow down or speed up until I get to a place I *can*.

But then I'm a safety nazi who's generally geared up for the apocalypse...

• Upvote 1

Freeway = suckfest.

+1 :mad: Especially commuting.

If I have some place I need to be then fair enough, but I'll take the twisties any time I can.

The only thing worse than slabbing it between ambivalent cagers is doing same when the bike can't get over 75mph... :nono: "Carburation Issue" :cry:

+2 Since we moved our office downtown my riding has dropped to a low this summer. The highways especially during busy hours aren't any fun to ride.

agreed. was halfway across 480 in stop-and-go in august on the sabre when my friggin clutch hand cramped up. had to pull onto the median and stretch my fingers out for a while.

yup, just love walking the bike down the freeway in a traffic jam....

You won't be able to avoid every blind spot. But you will be able to control the distance to the vehicle in front of you. No choice there. Set your distance ahead, and deal with the rest of it. Move with a car that moves into your lane. Take the next lane over, drop back, ride between lanes, or take the berm/median. Whatever gets out of the way, until you can get back to normal travel. The horn is useless unless it's Moose's air horn. Sometimes, but seldom, even suddenly accelerating is good, if it's clear ahead and not so clear behind.

Watch for people on cell phones, or otherwise not paying attention. Those are the ones most likely to do something stupid, like a sudden lane change, and not to signal when doing so. Their blind spot is bigger. Well, infinite...

I've seen packs of cars where all are doing this, weaving and wobbling and not signaling at all. Can't figure out why they aren't hitting each other. Rare, but I'm going to drop back and let them wreck on their own.

I've found that generally, if I slow down a bit, and give myself more room ahead, the car behind me will give me more room behind me. Most people really aren't stupid, and really don't want to wreck.

Also, note that I've had numerous close calls both ways, and the blind spot driver coming at me is way easier to handle than the pucker factor of being to close to the car in front when everyone hits the brakes and I've got a shit load of traffic behind me.

Yes, that was a long run on sentence...

I was thinking the other day when I was on I-75 in heavy traffic and I wanted to see some others opinions on this subject. Would you rather speed up a bit to get out of someones blind spot and get fairly close to the vehicle in front of you, or would you rather ride the blind spot. I realize this is a no good situation either way you put it but it does happen when you ride interstate frequently. Sometimes I will speed up and other times I will hold the blind spot but try and let myself be known. Usually slowing down out of the blind spot is not an option unless you want to get ran over by the person behind you.

Lane split @ 100+. :lol:

No, really, I will do whatever I can to not be in a blind spot OR too close to someone.

Yes they are both bad situations but ones that you will find yourself in when your riding in rush hour traffic and only have two lanes. I move around a lot myself, I do whatever I can to stay out of the blind spot but keep a safe distance. If I do speed up, it is only to get out of the blind spot of the idiot on the cell phone not paying attention and then i get way over so I have the shoulder if I absolutely had to. Sometimes it doesn't matter because Friday afternoon I had a couple assholes who were trying to fly up in the right lane and cut back in and it wasn't happening and then one guy (mr douche bag in the new beemer) decides to just go ahead and get in my lane anyways even though he was looking right at me.

Yes they are both bad situations but ones that you will find yourself in when your riding in rush hour traffic and only have two lanes.

Been there many times myself.

On a two-lane, if it's truly bumper to bumper, position yourself on the curb lane right at the line if you're really in a spot where you can't move (tho I find that situation quite rare). If someone comes in to your lane, you have more time to react and the berm to get out of their way.

I'll do whatever I have to to put myself in a pocket where I'm visible and have an exit lane. I consider it a failure on my part if I've put myself into a box.

Thinking about that box long before you get caught up in it is half the battle.

On the freeway, I tend to get into the left-hand lane, and ride on the left side of the lane, unless there's little berm, then I go to the right side of the right lane. I tend to exceed the speed limit a bit though, even on the too fiddy, as long as the traffic isn't backing up in front of me. I prefer to get out in front, into the "clean" air, since especially the 250 is thrown around pretty easily in the wind.

Lane split @ 100+. :lol:

No, really, I will do whatever I can to not be in a blind spot OR too close to someone.

this is the first time I've agreed with Cattani (had to happen at some point, right?)

I'll gladly take the dashed white lane to get out of a situation i feel is less safe.

I'm sad to say I agree with the 100 mph lane splitting theory. Call it squidly but, I have done it once or twice to get out of a very sticky situation. I agree it is not the best exit, but when it is your only real option you do what you have to do to keep from getting run over.