california prop 19

John

Whats to disagree with? Except for the fact that once the states and fed get to tax the shit out of it, the common man wont be able to afford it.

I think they should legalize it just to be able to focus more on real criminals and actual drugs that people will actually commit a crime to get.

Nobody robs a gas station to get weed.

From what i briefly read is that you can grow your own in a 25sqft. area per household. So im sure they are already taxing the medicinal shops but how will they tax the personal use people. I see more people growing there own instead of buying retail.

To stir the "pot" and im going to go out on a long limb here, could this open a loop hole legal or not to trafficking to the rest of the country from Cali. Basically having Acme Weed Co. sell legally out the front door to local smoke shops to cover trafficing out the back.

Just trying to think of a possible negative. Personally i would vote yes if i came up on the ballot in Ohio.

this thread lacks funny. And as your resident Mexican, I believe my cousins here would like to agree with it at the very least being de-criminalized

It is decriminalized in ohio, $100 fine for less than an oz, its a minor misdemeanor, less serious than a speeding ticket

How is it de-criminilized if there's a fine?

decriminalized doesnt mean it is legal, just that its not a huge deal. they could lock you up for havicng a joint in some states. but here its only a minor misdemeanor, like a traffic ticket.

decriminalized, its still illegal, but not that illegal.

It is decriminalized in ohio, $100 fine for less than an oz, its a minor misdemeanor, less serious than a speeding ticket

well no shit, I had no idea. Don't they get you with the criminal part if you have a smoking device or papers?

The feds said that if it passes they won't look away. I don't see the point but I guess you gotta stand for something. I have never done it and never will. I believe that there are more jobs out there that it would just create more of a hazard than anything. I know that more companies are going to a tobacco free workforce anymore, they will do the same for this if it passes.

here's the problem though:

even if Proposition 19 passes, the SALE of marijuana will still be prohibited by the FEDERAL controlled substances act.

As far as I'm concerned, buying weed is the only risky part of being a pot smoker. I'm not dumb enough to carry and illegal substance around, or leave it in my car - I'm going to enjoy it in the comfort and privacy of my home. Illegal? yes; but also very difficult to get caught.

Prop 19 makes possession and growing legal, but I don't think that most pot smokers are going to get so ambitious as to start gardening - they're going to BUY from someone who grows it as a business.

thus, the effect of the law just changes the nature of the criminal act. You'll have fewer people being busted for possession, but more being busted for selling.

Or am I missing something?