Cafe Project

scheetz31

lookin good so far what are you doing for the rear suspension?

not sure yet...i want to get a nice looking coilover with a resivor/piggyback. cb1100k have them stock..but i might spring for some works shocks, or race-techs

I saw on a show about cafe races that ppl often make a mold out out of part of the tank for the rear cowl.

Ive seen that too...but since im not sure if im going to stay with this tank or not...and i dont have any spare tanks to mold from, form is it for now. I may make a wooden mold of a cowl and form some aluminum over it when i get the time. But for now, form is cheap and it allows me to make different styles quite easily.

Next steps...

Mediablast

Bend seat rail

Make gas tank decision

Finish front end

Get engine built

Update:

-Tried bending tubing for seat rail myself...no such luck. Ill have to find a tube bender.

-Got some gixxer brake calipers in...still looking for front wheel and rotors for decent price.

-Got the tank down to bare metal...plan on cutting into it this weekend.

-Pickup a sheet of steel to start beating around with to form my seat cowl...im a virgin metal worker so we will see what happens. if all fails, ill just make something out of fiberglass, but prefer metal.

-Ordered steering head bearings from All Balls...great site for fork conversions.

will get picks as i go along

• 2 weeks later...

Got some goods today...

001.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

I have the steering bearings that i need to get pressed

Dont have the frame right now, should be back from the cleaners nxt week. I went with a chemical bath process to remove the excess rust and paint instead of blasting.

Then i can bend the seat portion of the frame....and weld some sheet metal for the seat pan.

The motors getting looked at mid-december...well see how far i need to bend over for that.

If ya need some help with metal forming, let me know.

I just bought a nice little mandrel tubing bender - would make short work of that frame rail you're trying to bend.

Also have a slip roller for sheet stock (seat pan, etc) as well as a new Tig welder. Bet we could make a decent tail section in AL in an afternoon of farting around in the shop.

wow...im quite jealous or your tool arsenal. I did manage to source my uncle to bend the seat rail and welding . For christmas, i have it on good authority that ill have a planshing hammer sitting under the tree...so i plan on playing around with the seat cowl

If things dont work out the way im planning, i will for sure get in touch with ya.

wow...im quite jealous or your tool arsenal. I did manage to source my uncle to bend the seat rail and welding . For christmas, i have it on good authority that ill have a planshing hammer sitting under the tree...so i plan on playing around with the seat cowl

If things dont work out the way im planning, i will for sure get in touch with ya.

Planishing hammer sounds cool - I'd like to have one but haven't really needed one that much yet. Have some friends that do metalwork for a living and I have them do most of the flat, sheet stuff as they can do it faster, better, cheaper, etc.

I also have a lathe, couple of milling machines, plasma cutter, Mig welder and loads of other crap. Welcome to come up and use it if you need it or I can make spacers for wheels or whatever for you. Just let me know the dimensions that you need.

On the tank, the stocker is cool looking - just needs some cut-outs for your knees and some cutouts for the clip-ons. It can look very cool for the price of some sheet stock. Noneed to alter the frame with mounts either. I'm sure you've seen the style of tanks I'm talking about. They're easily made from OEM tanks.

gas-tank-knee-indents.jpg

Basically cutting out the indents and turning the piece inside out and welding it back in. Little sanding of the welds and you're done.

Edited by Earache

I did just that indeed...ill have pics when i get it back from its bath.

I think that's one of the cooler looking things to do to a cafe tank. Mainly because it's what was done back in the day. Looks very cool. Can't wait to see your pics.

Have you seen this one yet? It seems like it's the direction you're headed.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/07/16/cr-450-clubman-cafe-from-phil-little/

cr450-cafe.jpg

No...but yea, the tank will look like that. I really love those wheels...trying to figure out what it will take to get a spoked wheel on gixxer forks.

Also, pick up early xmas present...

001-2.jpg

I know its a harbor frieght brand...but it was dirt cheap on c-list and brand new. Itll suit my needs for this project and maybe a few more who knos.

just using the stock gixxer brakes and rotors. depending on how things pan out...i ultimatly want to use a spoked front wheel with the dual gsxr rotors and calipers. this means finding a hub that accepts dual rotors and a 1" axle. im loosely referencing a guys build who made the black cb one pg1. and he used a narrow glide harley hub, but had to do some machining. so more research is invovled, and most likely ill just be using a stock gsxr front wheel and brake setup.

• 3 weeks later...

taking engine in tomorrow morn to Bore-Tech to have it cracked open and looked over. no idea what the overall plan is for it...well see how much monies its going to be just to get it cleaned up (inside and out) and running. if its nothing rediculous then hope to get it bored out, pistons, and cams...

...will update as i get more info.

http://www.bore-tech.com/