Cafe Project

scheetz31

from what ive experienced so far...cafe's seem to be the best "1st timer" bike projects. seems you can pick up a bike for under a grand easy...and everthing else on them is pretty simple to work-on. if you screw something up, it seems easy enough to find a replacement part/frame or whatever. i definitley plan on starting another after i finish this one.

• 4 weeks later...

You're making me want to cut up one of my tanks.

I got 4 tanks for my old CB550F.

One is rusted out, it's a candidate for surgery.

What can I say, they are hard to find in good condition.

I grabbed them up when I saw them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking sharp so far!

When this gets nearer completion, I'd love to see it in person!

Reminds me, check out the Honda of Fairfield dealership. One of the guys has a really nice cafe racer all done up inside.

Got some more goodies today...

lights.jpg

lights2.jpg

lights3.jpg

lights4.jpg

found them on superbrightleds.com and thought they looked cool. now i just got to figure out how to mount them. i tested them using a 6v lithium battery...i hope theyll be bright enough with a moty design battery i plan on getting. i figure ill wire up the outer eing as the running light, and have the inner ring come on with the brake.

tried my hand at some glassing too...

glass3.jpg

glass2.jpg

glass1.jpg

man its a messy process. well see how it turns out...i know i didnt get all the air bubbles outta it, but well see. also, its cold out tonight, its going to take forever to harden. this is the seat pan...next ill have to figure out how i want to do the seat cowl.

not sure...but im getting antsy. waiting to hear from engine guy...says hes putting a parts list together and will get back to me on pricing...

General To do list:

engine

tank(welding)

paint/powder

electrical

upholstery

rear wheel(sv650?)

Those are the big things.

Money is also slowing things down too.

• 3 weeks later...

New stuff...

got some universal harley petcocks...one for each side of the frame tunnel

also picked up a headlight guard...found it on jegs as an intake stone gaurd from spectre...ill make it work

petcocks_grill.jpg

finally got the cowl made up...went from foam plug to glass mold the almost final product...i think itll work for being my first fiberglass project. this picture i took the cowl which was seperate from the seat pan, and am bonding them together with more glass.

glassingcowl2seat2.jpg