Cafe Project

scheetz31

i talked to the guy putting the engine together...he said something that flow of petcocks isnt too much of an issue as long as it flows enough to keep the bowl full. but honestly, i dont know shit about carbs.

If the float needles are new it won't be a problem. But too much gas flowing into the carbs can overwhelm the seal and push too much fuel into the carbs and then into the engine and out onto your filters.

But just guessing by the picture of your petcocks, it doesn't look like it will be an issue.

these flow .5liter per minute is says...i was considering getting 2 pingle petcocks which flow twice that...conversed with engine guy about it and he said it be pointless. the ones i got will do fine supposedly. now i just have to get the bungs welded in and the tank welded up and that will be one huge milestone done. too bad the place i ordered the bungs from cant ship the right order.

.5 liter is plenty. Unless you can go through maybe 3 gallons of fuel in under 22 minutes.

Then it wouldn't flow fast enough.

Overflowing a carb is a function of the float and float needle.

If they are working right, only the necessary amount of fuel will be accepted.

It's basically a float driven shut off valve.

(Float bowl must not leak at it's seal.)

If there was a fuel pump with higher pressure, the carb could overflow anyway.

It might overwhelm the pressure from the float, on the float needle.

But most carb bikes are gravity fed fuel, and the pressure is very low.

(.433 psi per foot of drop)

Edited by ReconRat

some more details tied-up...

molded in the taillight

2011-04-09_17-27-29_291.jpg

imbedded a way to fasten seat pan and cowl...cotter pins and pin holders...

2011-04-09_17-27-05_739.jpg

2011-04-09_17-26-55_345.jpg

mocked up side panels for tank cutouts...not sure if i want to trim them or let my welder do it...not sure how much he wants to work with.

2011-04-09_17-25-20_737.jpg

also drilled holes for petcock bungs, not shown.

threw on the swingarm and shocks to get a better picture...

2011-04-09_17-25-57_525.jpg

2011-04-09_17-24-57_26.jpg

i also got the old steering head bearing races out...which was a pain. ended up breaking a rental tool from o'rieleys. good thing they dont charge you for damages.

now im eager to get the new bearings pressed in the frame and on the gixxer triple trees so i can have an actual rolling chassis.

Dropped the tank off to get welded up...probably be a few weeks b/c he'll be outta town. This guy mike welded up the frame rail for me too. Heres a link to his shops facebook and it has pictures of another cafe he did to body for the other week.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cornfield-Customs-Ltd/112955372074399?closeTheater=1

Im pretty siked.

GOOD NEWS...Tank is done.

Mike really surprised me and had my tank done today before he went out of town...way better than i had expected for the hack job i made out of the tank.

2011-04-14_17-24-30_332.jpg

2011-04-14_17-25-05_690.jpg

petcock hubs

2011-04-14_17-42-44_8.jpg

2011-04-14_17-43-11_213.jpg

looks so damn good to me...cant wait for the engine now.

ill have to look into the vstorm hubs...

...another build that i got my inspiration from was able to mat a harlery narrow glide front wheel on. i looked on Storz webpage and see that they are able to get those narrow glide hubs with dual rotor setup and 1" axle. though it would require some machining, it is a possiblity. hopefully the vstorm is a better option that i didnt think of.