Cafe Project

scheetz31

question: how did you know those shocks were going to work with your mount points? were they adjustable height or did you just get really lucky?

also, does bore-tech do just engine work or can you include your carbs as well? if you don't mind, would you be willing to share the cost of that service? pm if you'd like. i looked at their site pricing but was slightly confused.

have you looked into rd350 wheels? there was a bike on cafe racer tv where they had a suzuki front end with yamaha rd350 wheels. not wire, but nostalgic. lossa engineering was the builder, i'm sure if you gave them a call they might have some ideas.

i'm getting the cafe bug and i'm looking for a cb350 twin. i'm seeing a lot at the vintage races during the wera rounds i've been going to and i'm liking them a lot. probably not to race, but definitely to ride around town. i'm not so good with the forming and making my own molds so i'd probably have to look into buying premade "kits" for the tank/tail, i think the rest would be a good project though.

question: how did you know those shocks were going to work with your mount points? were they adjustable height or did you just get really lucky?

also, does bore-tech do just engine work or can you include your carbs as well? if you don't mind, would you be willing to share the cost of that service? pm if you'd like. i looked at their site pricing but was slightly confused.

have you looked into rd350 wheels? there was a bike on cafe racer tv where they had a suzuki front end with yamaha rd350 wheels. not wire, but nostalgic. lossa engineering was the builder, i'm sure if you gave them a call they might have some ideas.

i'm getting the cafe bug and i'm looking for a cb350 twin. i'm seeing a lot at the vintage races during the wera rounds i've been going to and i'm liking them a lot. probably not to race, but definitely to ride around town. i'm not so good with the forming and making my own molds so i'd probably have to look into buying premade "kits" for the tank/tail, i think the rest would be a good project though.

You can measure your ride height, and then order shocks to fit. Just make sure to specify how they mount to your bike (eye to eye, eye to clevis). The springs take care of the rest.

CB350s are hipster cool right now, so the price on them has gone up. But there are plenty of small CC vintage two cylinders. An XS400 or KZ440 would be a good choice. Plus they're easier to work on than the CB350.

well technically it was between the cb350 or the rs500 (yamaha thumper) so whichever pops up first is most likely what i'd get down the line. how's the parts/aftermarket selection on the bikes you mentioned?

what makes the cb350 more difficult to work on than what you mentioned?

i thought he bought those shocks off ebay, guess i'll have to reread the thread.

Yes...shocks were from fleebay. I had measured my old shocks and got some that were an in longer...just cus I didn't want the back to look like it was sagging. Eye to eye shocks are more common to find than eye to clevis...I guess you can say I got lucky. If I didn't first d these I would have got some custom length ones made by race tech...they have tons of options.

Boretech hasn't given me a final price yet...but he does specialize in 350s. Ill pm you a price and work he did when I hear...I bet its more than I antisipated.

well technically it was between the cb350 or the rs500 (yamaha thumper) so whichever pops up first is most likely what i'd get down the line. how's the parts/aftermarket selection on the bikes you mentioned?

what makes the cb350 more difficult to work on than what you mentioned?

i thought he bought those shocks off ebay, guess i'll have to reread the thread.

It's a Honda. They liked to show off their technical prowess a bit, look at the CX500. Just be prepared to say "what were they thinking?" a lot when you work on the bike.

The parts support is greater for the CB350. But the RS500 has "cult" status, so there's a pretty decent community around the bike.

If you do get a CB350, I know we've got tons of parts for the bike at work.

Im still missing a big piece...aka the engine. I was told that it should be done this week, but this week has come and is nearly gone...so i dont have my hopes up on seeing tomorrow like id like.

I plan on finishing it...might sell it to fund the next project (bobber), all depends on how attached i am with it once its ride worthy.

its is back...

Before

DSC01299.jpg

After

2011-05-27_14-23-14_203.jpg

Wasnt terribly dirty before...except for front sprocket there...just really pitted.

2011-05-27_14-22-58_852.jpg

2011-05-27_14-23-31_979.jpg

2011-05-27_14-25-01_644.jpg

electronic ignition...hopefully will add some reliability to a 35yr old bike

Edited by scheetz31

yes...dime city is where i got them, however they are back ordered, but only till mid june so two to three weeks. the 32mm is what they had specified for my particular bike...although i did email Herm way back when i first got the bike and asked what worked for my setup, and he said 32.

also, would you be able to pm price for your engine work and what you had done? it's cool if you don't want to

my roommates just got a cb360 and it's only accelerating my search for my own... although it runs pretty good, the right cyl seems to be spitting oil.

Engine is mounted...

HOWEVER, i got issues

...First, where i have the pegs mounted wont work because one is too close the the primary and wont clearance...Solution, relocate to pass. peg mounts, no biggy.

...The real problem is the petcock in their location dosent clear top of engine...bungs are welded in and tank is sealed, no way to relocate petcocks.

Possible solutions: Thinking of coming up with or finding something to screw onto the bungs with a hose mounted to it and have a fuel cut/off farther down the hose. essentially how you connect a garden hose to a spigot.

-OR-

Try to find another smaller petcock...though i doubt there are any small enough