Who do you want as the next Governor of Ohio?

Casper

Who do you want as the next Governor of Ohio?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next Governor of Ohio?

• John Kasich (R)
    • Ken Matesz (L)
    • Dennis Spisak (GM)
    • Ted Strickland (D)

Pretty much proof that people are short-sighted idiots. This really has nothing to do with Kasich or Strickland, just that people ebb and flow like the wind, typically on one or two issues and when they don't see immediate results, they start switching directions. :nono: Educated populace fail.

Kasich very unpopular, would lose do-over to Strickland by 15

http://sherrodbrown.com/news/articles/kasich_very_unpopular_would_lose_do_over_to_strickland_by_15/

PPP - Raleigh, N.C. – Scott Walker’s actions in Wisconsin have elicited more publicity than John Kasich’s in Ohio, but PPP’s latest survey of the Buckeye State shows that Governor Kasich is the one in greater trouble with voters. He beat Ted Strickland by two points last fall, but if voters could do it over, they would have Strickland back in a heartbeat.

Strickland went out of office with a -5 net job approval margin, and Walker had a -6 in PPP’s Wisconsin poll a few weeks ago, but Kasich is now three or four times worse off, with only 35% approvaing and 54% disapproving of his performance so far. That puts him in the company of a lot of the governors who retired or were defeated for re-election last fall.

Along those lines, Strickland would win a re-do election right now by 15 points, 55-40. The poll’s respondents report voting for Strickland over Kasich by three points and Barack Obama over John McCain also by three (Obama won the state by four), reflecting a return to an electorate more like 2008’s than 2010’s heavy Republican turnout. 13% of Kasich’s voters would cast their ballot for Strickland today instead, and those who did not vote favor Strickland by a whopping 57-13. Independents heavily favored Kasich in November, but they now just as strongly back Strickland, 56-36.

Read the whole article »

:stirpot: for today. I didn't copy the article, just one of the side blurbs in it. The article should probably be read too.

More than a budget: Gov. John Kasich aims to shake up Ohio governments

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20110320/NEWS01/103200315/1002/NEWS01/More-than-budget-Gov-John-Kasich-aims-shake-up-Ohio-governments

HIGHLIGHTS OF KASICH'S BUDGET FOR OHIO

HIGHER EDUCATION

• Continue 3.5 percent tuition-increase cap for public colleges and universities

• Require universities to present plans to move to three-year bachelor's degrees

• Require university faculty to teach an extra class every other year

• Allow universities, schools and local governments to employ single prime contracts on construction jobs

• Give universities more autonomy in exchange for less state funding, including exempting them from union-friendly state rules on construction projects

K-12 EDUCATION

•&nbspDouble number of scholarships to allow students in under-performing public schools to attend private schools

• Lift cap on number of community schools, which receive state funding but are privately operated

• Provide bonuses to high-performing teachers,streamline dismissal process for poor-performing ones

• Allow teachers or parents to take over poor-performing schools

ECONOMY

• Transfer the state's liquor sales business to provide a permanent revenue stream to the new JobsOhio, which will provide grants to fuel business growth

• Retain cut to personal income tax that went into effective in January

MEDICAID

• Create a single point-of-care coordination

• Adjust nursing home funding formula

• Adjust state reimbursement rates for nursing and home health services, elder day care, assisted living and other programs

• Establish a maximum pay rate for nutritional products

NATURAL RESOURCES

• Allow oil and gas leases at state parks

PRISONS

• Sell five prisons to private operators, requiring 5 percent cost savings

• Offer early retirement incentives to employees of two facilities

• Close prison camps adjacent to London, Ross, Toledo and Trumbull

• The most volatile or sensitive inmates, including maximum-security prisoners, would continue to be overseen by the state

LOCAL GOVERNMENTS

• Allow universities, local governments and schools to raise money from online advertising

• Give county commissions authority to centralize transportation, maintenance, printing and other services

• Encourage municipalities to share fire, police and ambulance services and to pool health care

Source: Ohio governor's office

• 2 weeks later...

KTEMAILHEADERUSE.PNG

Tod,

kasichofficesign.jpg donatetodaybutton.pngfacebook48.jpgsms48icon.pngtwitter48.jpgyoutube48.jpg

Last evening was a victory for Ohio taxpayers.

The General Assembly passed Senate Bill 5 and local governments will now have more toolsto control their budgets and provide better services to you at a lower cost.

I will sign Senate Bill 5 today.

But this is just one step towards fixing our state and making the necessary reforms to bring jobs to Ohio.

Will you support our ongoing efforts to fight for Ohio taxpayers with a $20, $10 or even $5 contribution today and help us continue to return the balance of power?

There is a reason that the union bosses opposed these changes; because it strips power from the union leaders and returns it to the taxpayers and workers. But make no mistake; we are fighting to save Ohio and need your help.

The nation is watching us in Ohio and we will provide the leadership necessary to become a job creating state and serve as a model for the rest of America.

Thank you again for your continued support.

Sincerely,

John Kasich

Governor of Ohio

P.S. Please forward this email to 10 of your friends so they know we are fighting to empower the taxpayers and create jobs in Ohio.

</SPAN> donatetodaybutton.png getinvolved.png

KTEMAILHEADERUSE.PNG

Tod,

sb5_signing_small.jpg donatetodaybutton.pngfacebook48.jpgsms48icon.pngtwitter48.jpgyoutube48.jpg

We wanted to give you a quick summary of some of the news stories which may be of interest to you.

First, National Review Online took a closer look at the Jobs Budget and praised Gov. Kasich’s leadership in offering real reforms to fix Ohio. They say, “Kasich’s budgetary vision isn’t just for a more limited government, but also for a better, more efficient government.”

The Columbus Dispatch had this must read editorial which points out that “restoring taxpayer control over labor costs isn’t just essential to coping with a huge budget deficit; it also is fair and appropriate.”

Governor Kasich recently appeared on Hannity to speak about the Jobs Budget and the necessary reforms to fill the nearly $8 billion structural imbalance that this administration inherited.

The Akron Beacon Journal highlighted Gov. Kasich’s leadership in calling for Medicaid reforms that will save taxpayer dollars and provide better services. They point out that the plan “takes a bold approach to reshape how services are delivered and paid for.”

Governor Kasich was joined last week by former Washington D.C. schools Chancellor, Michelle Rhee for a screening of the documentary, Waiting for Superman. You can read more here about this event and Gov. Kasich’s plans to raise the quality of education in Ohio.

Finally, the Columbus Dispatch examined Gov. Kasich’s proposal to allow parents to take control of failing schools and ensure that they’re providing quality education for our children.

Less than 90-days from being sworn in, Governor John Kasich and Lt. Governor Mary Taylor are working to ensure that our state and local governments are protecting your hard earned tax dollars. While also maintaining services for the most vulnerable Ohioans and preserving the tax cuts, their Jobs Budget will create jobs and fix Ohio.

Thank you for your ongoing support.

Sincerely,

-Kasich Taylor for Ohio Team

P.S. Please forward this email to 10 of your friends so they know we are fighting to cut taxes, create jobs and balance Ohio’s budget.

• 4 weeks later...

KTEMAILHEADERUSE.PNG

Tod,

I wanted to take a moment to pause and thank those brave men and women who serve in our nation’s military and intelligence community both at home and abroad.

Your courage has been unwavering as America has slowly healed from the tragic events on September 11, 2001.

Let us also take a moment to honor those who were lost on that horrible day and their families who will forever cherish their memories.

Thank you for your courage and may God continue to bless us all.

Sincerely,

John Kasich

I won't be getting one from him because I'm not on his mailing list. I chose to be on the governors because I like the job he is doing with the shitty situation he has to work with. I don't think Brown has done anything I agree with.

I won't be getting one from him because I'm not on his mailing list. I chose to be on the governors because I like the job he is doing with the shitty situation he has to work with. I don't think Brown has done anything I agree with.

replace kasich's name with obama and suddenly, you're a democrat. vice versa if you're an obama deep throating libtard.

all of which leads to, politics is ftl

replace kasich's name with obama and suddenly, you're a democrat. vice versa if you're an obama deep throating libtard.

all of which leads to, politics is ftl

Please refrain from raining on my parade, we have a lot of newbz around that need to make the funnies for us.

• Upvote 1

Don’t know about anyone else, but every time I see Kasich speak on TV, I keep expecting to hear Carl Spaclker’s voice come out of his mouth.

Sometimes I entertain myself by turning down the volume and adding the voice characterizations myself…

License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.

KTEMAILHEADERUSE.PNG

Tod,

noshok.png donatetodaybutton.pngfacebook48.jpgsms48icon.pngtwitter48.jpgyoutube48.jpg

Governor Kasich’s Jobs Budget is making its way through the Ohio House of Representatives and is designed to fill the nearly $8 billion structural imbalance without raising your taxes.

While Ohio Democrats call for raising taxes to balance the budget, a recent analysis determined that the average Ohio family's taxes would have to be raised 46% if the tax hikes alone were used to fix the $8 billion structural deficit.

Also, the Democratic Massachusetts House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed collective bargaining reforms last week proving that this is a bipartisan issue aimed to give local governments more tools to protect taxpayer dollars.

In a recent column, the efforts by Governor Kasich to balance Ohio’s budget and create an environment for economic growth are billed as a necessity to ensure the state’s credit rating. You can read more here.

While creating the environment for job growth, it is important that we maintain the companies that we currently have. The Tribune Chronicle recently highlighted some of Governor Kasich’s recent efforts to keep job creators in Ohio.

Finally, Governor Kasich signed legislation into law making it official that Teach for America is coming to Ohio. You can read more here about this program that will send some of the brightest educators into some of the most struggling school districts.

Together, we are working to fix Ohio. Thanks for your support.

Sincerely,

-Kasich Taylor for Ohio Team

P.S. Please forward this email to 10 of your friends to encourage them to contact their legislators here and support Governor Kasich's Jobs Budget.

I dunno if I like this... 'more privatization' scheme to promote 'job growth'? I need more specifics.

Regarding the taxes/budget, the numbers are a bit more reasonable when you look at them on a actual dollar amount basis rather than a percentage. $761/26 paychecks = about $30 per paycheck less. Is that worth it? Maybe not? But, using percentages is misleading by making it sound much more 'grand' than the issue really is. It's a discussion still worth having, but lets frame and scope the problem appropriately.

But Hagan and Amstutz said such increases would be a mistake. Citing projections from the Ohio Department of Taxation, Hagan said income-tax rates would have to be increased 46 percent to 56 percent in order to fill an $8 billion hole.

That would equal about $761 more in tax payments for an Ohio family of four with an adjusted gross income of $66,000.

Either way, with Kasich's plan to take local subsidies out and putting them back into the state coffers, you better hope you don't live in a poor community because it's a long downward spiral from there. Creating mini-Detroits all throughout the state.

I dunno if I like this... 'more privatization' scheme to promote 'job growth'? I need more specifics.

Regarding the taxes/budget, the numbers are a bit more reasonable when you look at them on a actual dollar amount basis rather than a percentage. $761/26 paychecks = about $30 per paycheck less. Is that worth it? Maybe not? But, using percentages is misleading by making it sound much more 'grand' than the issue really is. It's a discussion still worth having, but lets frame and scope the problem appropriately.

Either way, with Kasich's plan to take local subsidies out and putting them back into the state coffers, you better hope you don't live in a poor community because it's a long downward spiral from there. Creating mini-Detroits all throughout the state.

A little factoid: according the Tax Foundation, Ohio ranks 46th nationally in their "Business Tax Climate Index" for 2011. That is, 5th worst. (Behind New York, New Jersey, California and Connecticut.) Not much room to raise taxes and we're in pretty select company already.

This wasn't a business tax discussion though... this was a 'Ohio family' tax discussion.

Regardless of the Tax Climate Index, that number really doesn't tell the full story.

For example: http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/2181.html

Look at page 14 (also see p24-25 to further illustrate Ohio as a "business friendly tax state"). Ohio collects an average of 1.9% of income from businesses, what's the US average? 4.3%.

So, believe me, businesses aren't hurting because of being overtaxed here in Ohio.

This wasn't a business tax discussion though... this was a 'Ohio family' tax discussion.

Regardless of the Tax Climate Index, that number really doesn't tell the full story.

For example: http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/2181.html

Look at page 14 (also see p24-25 to further illustrate Ohio as a "business friendly tax state"). Ohio collects an average of 1.9% of income from businesses, what's the US average? 4.3%.

So, believe me, businesses aren't hurting because of being overtaxed here in Ohio.

Very clever - but you're cherry picking. Ohio's gross receipts tax is not easy to compare with a garden variety corporate income tax. But you're right, generally, by itself it's not so bad. Same for unemployment taxes - they're comparatively low too.

The Tax Climate Index tells a much fuller story though. It adds all the taxes a business owner pays, including commercial property, individual income taxes, etc., and with that, we're pretty bad.

:dunno: I guess I don't understand how I'm cherry picking.

I'm digging deeper into the data to get a more detailed picture. That's kind of why they put all that "extra" data in there.

That's like a business just reporting profits to investors. Would you invest in a business that had increased profits of over 26%?

Harley increased profits last year, but that's because if you look at all the books, it was because they downsized plants and workers, sold Buell, sold MV, etc. That's not cherry picking data... that's getting the full scoop before you invest in their product and business philosophy/model.

:dunno: I guess I don't understand how I'm cherry picking.

I'm digging deeper into the data to get a more detailed picture. That's kind of why they put all that "extra" data in there.

That's like a business just reporting profits to investors. Would you invest in a business that had increased profits of over 26%?

Harley increased profits last year, but that's because if you look at all the books, it was because they downsized plants and workers, sold Buell, sold MV, etc. That's not cherry picking data... that's getting the full scoop before you invest in their product and business philosophy/model.

Your first sentence is absolutely correct.