What to do w/ "old" smartphones?

YSR_Racer_99

I have a Blackberry 3360 ( I think. Its been awhile) worldphone thats about two years old, and just swapped to another phone from a HTC TouchPro2. Both work fine, and were on Verizon (if that matters). I tried to hand one down to one of my kids, but they'd "have" to have a data package with them, and that ain't happening. What do I do with these?

Well if you have any that are AT&T PM me. I have been using a BlackJack II for 4 years know. It is in horrible shape but still works great. Got to love Samsung. Been looking for a Iphone 3G 16GB. But have had no luck. Palm Treo or BlackBerry anything at this point.

How much personal info can they store? I would be concerned about that before I went off and sold one...

You can wipe a BlackBerry by entering the incorrect password 10 times in a row.

Or Options, Password, <menu button>, Security Wipe (Varies from model to model; ones older than the Storm worked that way, Storm and newer have a Security Wipe menu option. Or, just do the wrong pw 10 times.

Ansky,

I appreciate that, but both of these require data packages, and I'm not sure that jives with phones for soldiers.

All: Okay, I've hard reset both phones. Is all of my info gone? I mean, Goooooone? No way to retrieve it (no way for someone else to retrieve it if I sell it)? Also, are they now considered Unlocked? Are they only good on Verizon? What other questions might I get from buyers on ebay?

TIA.

Ansky,

I appreciate that, but both of these require data packages, and I'm not sure that jives with phones for soldiers.

All: Okay, I've hard reset both phones. Is all of my info gone? I mean, Goooooone? No way to retrieve it (no way for someone else to retrieve it if I sell it)? Also, are they now considered Unlocked?...

For the Crackberry:

-Remove the flash memory card (if it has one)

-Download this file (click), "loader.zip". It's safe, I promise. It's from the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, but only us BES Admins (and 3rd level support at RIM) seem to know about it.

-Unzip the loader.zip file to somewhere, e.g. C:\loader.exe

-Open a command prompt (Start, Run, cmd, [enter]

-At the command prompt type c:\loader.exe /resettofactory [enter] (if you unzipped it to somewhere other than c:\, adjust your typing accordingly...

Done. Any policies applied to the device from a BlackBerry Enterprise Server are gone. Regular security wipes don't remove policies. Policies can be enforced to require a password, set the timeout/lock time, disable sms, kill the camera, etc.

Assuming you removed the flash card (if there was one), Yes, your data is gone. You could get it back only if you used the BB Desktop Manager (or Web Desktop Manager in a Corporate environment) to make a backup (.ipd) of your device.

You can trade your phone in at Radio Shack through their recycling program. I've done about three phones ang gotten about $150 for all three. They give you the money on a gift card which sucks. But its better than having an old phone sitting around. Check out their website and see how much money you can get for it.

Go to their site here: http://radioshack.cexchange.com/online/Home/CategorySelected.rails?enc=9UwkbdauIy5agkAJZ6EcUw==

I'm no help with your original question, but about the deleting everything from the phone...I bought a cheap blackjack off some girl on craigslist a few months ago and she said she was pretty sure she'd cleared everything off of it...I went through the phone and found a small file of "personal" pictures. It was win for me. She was hot. Don't have them anymore though so no pics...