State & Federal Government Screwing Businesses Again

Modern Synthetics

I'm in the lawncare industry and this is effecting us big time. Landscapers, lawn care companies etc, who have 10 - 15 small trucks and trailers on the road are getting railed. Its costing anywhere from $500 - $1000 per vehicle to pass all of this stuff. Thats a lot of money out of these companies pockets, and some are having to cut back because of it.

I understand what you are saying. I deal with it cuz I love what I do not cuz I make a ton of money. But but I look at the physicals and want them to instead of making the low risk drivers such as me and other healthier driver come in every two years how about 5? I have been getting my physical since I have been 21, literally walked in the doctor looked at me and said that was easy. He did nothing other than my eye exam drug test and blood pressure. Looking at the spectrum of what you classify as a truck driver ill admit im in the minority in the health department. I know one our drivers has to come back every year cuz of his diabetis. Why can't they extend periods if they can shorten it?

Edited by kawi kid

I'm still pissed because I had a CDL endorsment, and Ohio took it away because I wasn't "using it".

A company that my dad worked for a few years ago wouldn't (couldn't?) let him work on their Dodge Ram 3500's because of how they were licensed, truck and trailer together, I think the plates were apportined, or something like that. If he had a CDL he could have. He didn't want to get a CDL because then they would stick him in a truck when needed for deliveries, instead of his maintenance job.

But when the cost of doing business is higher than the profit of the business because of all the government involved why bother, is what he is getting at.

True. But, the issue is that you need to draw a line. Where is it drawn at? A certain amount earned per year? A certain number of employees? A certain amount of customers?

So, if the guy that cuts grass and has 5 employees is held to a lower standard than the guy that has built his business, paid his dues and has grown to a business that has 50 employees, has multiple trucks, pays for a lot to have those employees, etc, but pays more than the "little" or in this example, "littler" guy, what makes him not create two smaller companies and divide the business into two and drop down to a better bracket of pay outs?

If profits aren't there and you are struggling to survive, then maybe the business isn't a right fit? The great thing about the US is the ability to start up a SMALL business and start making money on your own. The PROBLEM with the US is the ability to start up a small business and start making money on your own.

In my business, we see a LOT of start up shops that THINK they can go out and simply start making money. They give shit away at 10% or even 20% above dealer cost. As they run for a period of maybe three years doing that formula, year one, they see $500k in sales, but spending $450k to $400k and leaving $50-$100k to pay bills, pay themselves, pay for even maybe an employee that helps. Year two, they increase sales to $750k and are still pulling minimal amounts of money. Year three, they realize they cannot afford to keep doing it and fold. If the profits aren't there, you have to realize that it isn't going to work. When they start, they have sugar plums in their heads and THINK making $50-$100k a year is GREAT. Until they add up the rent, the electric bill, the shipping, the office supplies, the ONE employee they can only afford, the business license, etc... After they pay all that, they are earning $5k a year...

Rules need to be in place. Look, you have a 1 ton dually or SRW? You are paying less than the guys that have 15 of the same trucks or has multiple Dump trucks or cargo style trucks, etc. It's fair.

Ohio selling out for $? Sure, they need $ coming in and if the amount of start up businesses are increasing (I suspect they are with the number of unemployed, etc.), then they need to consider increasing fees. Call it supply and demand, but I prefer to call it controlling the sector of people that are coming out of the woodwork and the guys that are established and doing it right getting undercut.

STT-Brian if it is so easy to start a small business, then why aren't more people that are on unemployment doing just that? I've added tremendously to my dads farm and there were at least 4 years we made less than 30K between us. Were we bad at what we do, no. We are in the top 20% of USA. Fact is now wherever govt sees a chance to make more money they will, just to turn around and waste it. As long as we keep buying everything in china and other countries it will just keep getting worse. If I was in govt, I would try to pass a law that says equal trading. You want us to buy 3 million dollars in supplies, you have to buy 3 million dollars of supplies from us

STT-Brian if it is so easy to start a small business, then why aren't more people that are on unemployment doing just that? I've added tremendously to my dads farm and there were at least 4 years we made less than 30K between us. Were we bad at what we do, no. We are in the top 20% of USA. Fact is now wherever govt sees a chance to make more money they will, just to turn around and waste it. As long as we keep buying everything in china and other countries it will just keep getting worse. If I was in govt, I would try to pass a law that says equal trading. You want us to buy 3 million dollars in supplies, you have to buy 3 million dollars of supplies from us

Well, unemployment is sitting the same or getting higher and the people on unemployment are getting extensions and sitting at home after adapting to spending habits and maybe even losing a lot of things, but are happy to be getting what they get and are lazy and not willing to get a new job.

There was an article where a guy in Indiana had a paper plant and needed to hire 10 new employees as business was picking up. He put out ads and had a lot of people come interview. However, he had a problem getting FT employees because a bunch (most) were coming in to get their paperwork signed to show they were "looking for a job". He told them that he was hiring and they just wanted the stuff signed. That's lazy and that's ridiculous. It isn't saying everyone is... Everyone understand that...

But, the whole buying stuff in China is becoming somewhat of a tiring topic. Things are not built here for the simple fact of cost and what we as Americans are willing to spend. The cost of an American company to build the same thing as built in China is much higher and takes longer to produce. Call it a curse of sorts, but the fact is that even American companies are building a lot of their stuff in China and elsewhere overseas...

The Gov't making money off you as a "business" is silly. There needs to b a difference. Read my comment on the guy with a dually trailering for fun and the guy trailering with a dually hauling stuff for work. There needs to be a difference and I feel there needs to be more paid by the business guy. He should have to abide by higher standards than the other guy...

But, the whole buying stuff in China is becoming somewhat of a tiring topic. Things are not built here for the simple fact of cost and what we as Americans are willing to spend. The cost of an American company to build the same thing as built in China is much higher and takes longer to produce. Call it a curse of sorts, but the fact is that even American companies are building a lot of their stuff in China and elsewhere overseas...

The Gov't making money off you as a "business" is silly. There needs to b a difference. Read my comment on the guy with a dually trailering for fun and the guy trailering with a dually hauling stuff for work. There needs to be a difference and I feel there needs to be more paid by the business guy. He should have to abide by higher standards than the other guy...

• 2 months later...

welp my our insurance agency just sent us a bunch of info and the logs and what not for this and I think I'm going to find the PUCO HQ and take a large steamy shit in their office as to what I think about this.

When I get bored I'm going to tally the extra cost just for this one regulation that these assholes came up with. My rough estimate right now is about $750 per vehicle and we have approximately 70 trucks that qualify if I'm reading this right. People wonder why I hate politics and government, all they do is stick their nose where it doesn't belong and cause a bunch of problems.