State & Federal Government Screwing Businesses Again

Modern Synthetics

If you own a business that uses vehicles with weight ratings over 10,000 pounds, either individual or combined, get ready for more bullshit regulation and fees imposed by federal government and being enforced by the State of Ohio.

Do you have some flaws on your driving record and drive a truck with a GVWR or combined GVWR over 10,000 pounds for work? If so, you may be out of work soon.

I'm not talking about semi's and heavy dump trucks here. I'm talking about one ton pickup trucks with utility beds and half ton pickup trucks pulling dual axle trailers.

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/PUCO/Consumer/Information.cfm?id=10148

CDL, Medical card, log books, equipment inspections and more.

It is comical how our local, state and federal governments constantly ramble on about job creation while they continue to enact and/or enforce ridiculous laws that place unnecessary burdon on businesses both large and small. All levels of government here punish companies that keep job in the USA. That is why companies continue to send jobs oversees.

I love this great country but our government is out of control. All levels of government need to be reduced. We are being bullied by governments that need to justify their existence by creating bullshit legislation and programs that we all have to pay for. Well, those of us that report our earnings and pay taxes that is.

Yes, I am pissed off. As an American and a small business owner, I am fed up with government regulations, taxes, fees and hand outs.

Buy guns and ammo folks. One of these days the worthwhile citizens that believe in the founding principles of this great nation are going to have to stand up and take it back from the worthless pussies in all levels of government. These people are stealing our freedoms and running this nation into the ground.

OK, Rant is over. Discuss.

I eat massive amounts of pasta, is there a tax for that?

There are all kinds of taxes paid in the production, transportation and sale of the product. If cap and trade legislation passes there will be additional taxes for all companies involved in the process of getting that pasta to market and sold. You will probably have to purchase some carbon credits or something personally because the gas you produce after eating said pasta will harm the environment.

I eat massive amounts of pasta, is there a tax for that?

Oh, I'm sure there is! I wouldn't keep saying that, or someone will find a tax just for you! With the amounts of pasta that it sounds like you eat, the above rules would apply, making it cost more for your pasta.

So, since the federal government can't intrfere with state's rights, they "encourage" them by dangling grant monies, etc...

The new regulations were adopted by the PUCO so that the state of Ohio may continue to receive federal grant money for the Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program. This federal grant program provides financial assistance to states to enforce the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations and the Federal Hazardous Materials Regulations in an effort to reduce the number and severity of commercial motor vehicle accidents. In order to receive these funds, Ohio’s safety rules must mirror federal rules.

That's how it's always done, and why I don't think the "state's rights" people have much to stand on.

The carrot will always be dangling, and the states will conform to whatever the FedGov decides is important enough to put money up for the states to conform to.

That's how it's always done, and why I don't think the "state's rights" people have much to stand on.

The carrot will always be dangling, and the states will conform to whatever the FedGov decides is important enough to put money up for the states to conform to.

Exactly. I just hadn't seen or heard it get pointed out lately.

And while it does suck for you in the additional monies and taxes (which you can writeoff, no?), from what I read, it sounds like Ohio is just catching up with the rest of the states for vehicles of this size. Maybe you just got lucky you were able to operate a vehicle like that for however long you did before Ohio implemented these rules. :dunno: I dunno, just spitballin' here.

I deal with Class 8 vehicles mostly, so my knowledge on these smaller class vehicles isn't really up-to-speed, but regardless I still think some of the requirements are common sense good ideas for vehicles of that size just from a safety aspect. I'll ask around the office tomorrow and get a few more opinions.

Before you start ranting, have you thought of the reasons WHY this was enacted and WHO had a say into it?

Yes, I have thought about it quite a bit and I have come to the conclusion that it was enacted by a government agency. A government agency, like most government agencies, that has become to large and needs to justify it's existence by creating additional legislation, good or bad. If the government wants to keep roads safe then they should enact annual driving tests and vehicle inspections for everyone, not just businesses.

As for Ohio, it's all about money. Not only the money they get from the federal government. The fees for a commercial drivers license are higher than the fees for a standard license. How many more commercial drivers licenses will be required with the new legislation? Aren't the fees imposed for violations are higher when a driver has a CDL. So you have a commercial drivers license and you have a violation. You get double the points and pay a much higher fee.

Unfortunately our state government is in dire need of funds. Where do they get these funds? Higher taxes on individuals? No way, people will bitch. They just continue to add fees and regulation on businesses because most ignorant people in the general public thinks all businesses owners are greedy and getting rich so they don't care if businesses pay more taxes. They just don't realize that all the fees businesses pay are passed down to them eventually.

I do understand some of the thinking behind it but come on. It's ridiculous. What next? Oh you have commercial plate on your taurus, you need a commercial drivers license and need to keep a log book. You think that's funny now but where do they draw the line.

And while it does suck for you in the additional monies and taxes (which you can writeoff, no?), from what I read, it sounds like Ohio is just catching up with the rest of the states for vehicles of this size. Maybe you just got lucky you were able to operate a vehicle like that for however long you did before Ohio implemented these rules. :dunno: I dunno, just spitballin' here.

I deal with Class 8 vehicles mostly, so my knowledge on these smaller class vehicles isn't really up-to-speed, but regardless I still think some of the requirements are common sense good ideas for vehicles of that size just from a safety aspect. I'll ask around the office tomorrow and get a few more opinions.

I drive a half ton pickup. If I attach a dual axle trailer to my truck I am over the 10,000lb CGVW. I may hook that trailer up to my truck twice a month for long trips. I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road when I am traveling so my vehicle is maintained well. I think it is an added burdon that businesses should not have to deal with.

They state that I have to have a driving test administered by someone else. I am a one man operation. Who administers the test? Do I get to pay some government employee to administer the test. It is all just additional bullshit that makes it difficult for a small business to comply with additional regulations and fees.

And while it does suck for you in the additional monies and taxes (which you can writeoff, no?)

Will I write it off? Of course. It seems to be a common misconception that if you pay for a business expense you "write it off" and get that money back. That is not the case. So I will reduce my net profit by XXX dollars. I don't pay taxes on the amount deducted for fees but I still payed those fees out of my business account. I don't get that money back. I just don't pay income tax on it because it went into my account and then right back out.

I have to get a federal background check every two years at my expense because of my hazmat endorsement. There are only three places in the state to do it. I can't just go down the street to the police department who has the exact same equipment, I have to take an entire dayboff work to go to columbus to have it done by a nurse at a specific doctors office.

Not sure why you are upset... There needs to be regulations on businesses as they are making money. If you are driving to a shop and back, you are making money and while driving is part of the business, it isn't for personal use and therefore, subject to laws and regulations.

Why is it fair that you can drive a 23' 2-3 axle trailer and a 1 ton dually and a guy driving a Box Truck for a company has to jump through hoops?

I think that many businesses that are small and have small trucks and trailers are running around making money and working with the vehicles they drive and have been expempt for long enough.

I think log books are something that should be required, also. Our KTM guys driving just the small Sprinter vans are required. Hell, they are driving to and from race events and dealerships that need parts, etc. Same should hold true for you even though you are smaller scale.

Parity and uniform rules apply to anyone with a business. I like the sounds of that. While th guy that cuts grass for a living to a guy that reps oils like you to a guy that has a dump truck hauling gravel to a guy with a semi truck hauling frozen food. It all needs to be the same and you should be held to a higher standard than Joe Average driving his dually down 71 hauling a trailer with dirt bikes going to a track for play time...

The thing that really gets me are these private motorcoach/Renegade trucks. I've driven one that is over 10' longer than the law allows. But, because it doesn't require a CDL to drive and ANYONE can drive one, it is rarely even looked at twice while going down the interstate. It also doesn't have to stop at weigh stations and related. We could haul a trailer full of 55 gallon drums of race fuel into a tunnel on the interstate and have zero issue... A semi truck that is 10' shorter cannot and would be damn near gang jumped if he tried...

Point is that businesses are hld to a higher standard and I think that is good. I think guys with race haulers and recreational RV stuff need harsher rules and regulations...

Essentially, it is th cost of doing business...

Parity and uniform rules apply to anyone with a business.
..you should be held to a higher standard than Joe Average driving his dually down 71 hauling a trailer with dirt bikes going to a track for play time...

^---those.

My dad has a CDL just to haul his car/trailer to and from the racetrack because they use a Freightliner to do it. That isn't even for a business purpose, totally private non-comm use and still has to go through all that. That's the price you pay to play with big toys.

If the profit isn't there anymore, then the market adjusts, people will quit driving trucks, drivers will be at a premium and those that are willing to 'jump through the hoops' -- which, in the grand scheme, aren't really THAT big a deal, log books and a physical for the most part (save for the HazMat endorsement) -- will be paid what they're worth.

Yeah they aren't big hoops but back when they said ok now you have to get a physical it will cost you twenty bucks, ok fine. Now they tell is you physical is gonna cost ya about 110 o and btw now you have to get a background check even though you have done the same thing all your life and it costs you 90 bucks. And like everything else its gonna go up in cost. Its just the inconvenience of taking a whole day to do it and one thing leads to another, to another, to another.

I don't like the physical cuz im 27 and healthy as anyone, and I had the same background check when I got my cc license so why do I need to drive to a specific place to do it over an hour away when I can have it done at my local police department?

you can tell who here have been balls deep in a struggling start up business and who has been earning a regular steady bi-weekly/monthly pay check for most of their lives. the difference in perspective is striking.

you can tell who here have been balls deep in a struggling start up business and who has been earning a regular steady bi-weekly/monthly pay check for most of their lives. the difference in perspective is striking.

Paycheck earner here. I also work for a small business that will be affected by this, along with many of our customers being affected by this.

The state of Ohio is selling out for $$$.

Yeah they aren't big hoops but back when they said ok now you have to get a physical it will cost you twenty bucks, ok fine. Now they tell is you physical is gonna cost ya about 110 o and btw now you have to get a background check even though you have done the same thing all your life and it costs you 90 bucks. And like everything else its gonna go up in cost. Its just the inconvenience of taking a whole day to do it and one thing leads to another, to another, to another.

I understand, but all that must still be worth it to you or you'd choose something else to do right? I also look at it this way. If you're driven enough to deal with all the inconveniences and mentally capable of getting 'all your ducks in a row' and getting a CDL, then I feel a little better about your competency behind the wheel. Any jaggoff from the street can't just obtain one of these licenses. Same thing with the motorcycle endorsement. I look at all these hurdles as implied small-scale IQ tests, without calling them that for fear of discriminating against the real idiots.

I don't like the physical cuz im 27 and healthy as anyone, and I had the same background check when I got my cc license so why do I need to drive to a specific place to do it over an hour away when I can have it done at my local police department?

No one likes a physical, but you're delusional if you think that just because you're 27, you're physically fit. As before, if you don't want a physical, get a desk job like me. But there are a lot of other orgs that require physicals too -- using my dad and brother as examples again, the NHRA and IHRA both require physicals to get your competition license -- and that's just to drive lightweight cars, in a straight line, for a 1/4 mile at a time. Do it, or don't, your choice. If someone is too lazy to get a physical, don't drive a truck, or don't race. It's all down to what your priorities in life are.