Anyone know of deals on Honda ATV's?

DTM Brian

I know honda has not had a sport quad since 2009. Looks like they are skipping 2011 as well. This tells me there must be a bunch of left overs in a warehouse somewhere. I heard from a GM of powersports shop that honda has models as old as 2005 sitting around.

I am getting the itch to buy myself a xmas present and was thinking of a trx 450r depending on what kind of price I can find one for. So if anyone knows of where to find deals on Honda atv's let me know.

Honda 700xx or Polaris Outlaw. Once you have a sport quad with IRS you'll never buy another straight axle.

I originally wanted a 700xx. Then I started reading about how people did not like the fact that the quads were unperdictable when trying to slide the ass end around under power. Guess I need to ride one first.

Unpredictable probably because they don't know how to set up an IRS quad want to ride it like a straight axle. One of the benefits to IRS is amazing traction. That being said you don't have to put the gnarliest tires you can find on it for traction like you do a straight axle. People still do though and then no it doesn't slide because it's glued to the ground. Setup and riding style are different for IRS, once you get that down you will never go back.

Unpredictable probably because they don't know how to set up an IRS quad want to ride it like a straight axle. One of the benefits to IRS is amazing traction. That being said you don't have to put the gnarliest tires you can find on it for traction like you do a straight axle. People still do though and then no it doesn't slide because it's glued to the ground. Setup and riding style are different for IRS, once you get that down you will never go back.

DAMN IT.

Now you have me thinking about this.

To further this point Brian check my wife's FB photo's and videos. I think she's got some picts and a video there of the last race I did on my Outlaw. I blew a rear tire two laps from the finish and still won. I was the only one on IRS and was spanking them all day, you'd never pull off a win on a flat with a straight axle.

Tim Cain at Yamaha of Troy in Dayton may be able to find something. Honda East in (Toledo??) always seems to have great deals. If you're willing to travel, try the huge Honda dealer in Chattanooga. Huge volume= big discounts.

Better get to Troy before end of the year. Closing doors after...

Southern Honda has killer deals, but you need to go way south to TN to get them and that drive back and forth is worth something. Honda East is probably the best bet for sure.

All for Honda of course...

I've been eyeing a Wolverine 450 for a while. Selectable 4WD sport quad that you can plow with in the morning and trail in the afternoon. No getting stuck like 2WD only stuff. But it still is a straight rear axle. I bought my father a King Quad 450 Axi with IRS and what a difference on the trails. If I had a choice and extra funds I would def. go IRS no questions asked.

Just my 2.5 cents.

I can find a hell of a deal on a new KTM 450 or 505 SX quad. Probably close to $3k pluss off retail... When compared to the others, we have all the add-ons that you will need beyond stock. Plus, we are faster! :)

Outlaw has the 525 Ktm motor in it. :)

I've been eyeing a Wolverine 450 for a while. Selectable 4WD sport quad that you can plow with in the morning and trail in the afternoon. No getting stuck like 2WD only stuff. But it still is a straight rear axle. I bought my father a King Quad 450 Axi with IRS and what a difference on the trails. If I had a choice and extra funds I would def. go IRS no questions asked.

Just my 2.5 cents.

The Wolverine is only 3 wheel drive, just an fyi. It has an open front diff so only the 1 front wheel with the LEAST amount of traction will turn. Better than most 2wd quads? probably. But I'll bet ya the Outlaw will go places it wont because the IRS offers 6" more ground clearance, has way more motor and weighs almost 100#'s less. Just my 2.2 pennies though.

Outlaw has the 525 Ktm motor in it. :)

The Wolverine is only 3 wheel drive, just an fyi. It has an open front diff so only the 1 front wheel with the LEAST amount of traction will turn. Better than most 2wd quads? probably. But I'll bet ya the Outlaw will go places it wont because the IRS offers 6" more ground clearance, has way more motor and weighs almost 100#'s less. Just my 2.2 pennies though.

True on the motor. However... the suspension, chasis and such are not the same whatsoever... You really need to try a 505 SXF ATV and decide. I think you'll feel the same as the two Outlaw riders we let demo ride them...

Not gonna give up IRS, I'm sure the 505 is tits but it's the IRS rear that I cant go without.

To each their own for sure. That's the beauty of this industry. There are so many options to suit so many different riders. Seems you found what you want out of an ATV.

KTM have any plans on an IRS? And how is the 505 motor compared to the 525?

For competition (which our ATVs are made), the solid axle is the axle of choice and will not be changed anytime soon. That being said, we are no longer producing the ATVs and not sure on the future concerning our end.

The 525 motor you have is our XC based motor which is in our 525 XC ATV. It is a single OH cam set up. A bit less punch and the internal gearing is somewhat further apart for woods (GNCC) competition.

The 505 is a dual OH cam setup and a screamer. Pretty much almost too much motor. The 450 SXF based motor is actually the best choice and easier to go fast on...

Sounds like a motor swap experiment might be in my springtime plans. I will agree if one is only riding mx and is at the pro level then yes straight axle is the way to go but IMHO if you are not a pro level mx rider the IRS is tits. I know you've been to Briarcliff, as I've met you up there, and Crow Canyon. I've been to both those tracks with my Outlaw and run pace with the 450 mx & sx bikes, one time with several members from OR and they couldn't shake me. Nobody ever seems to accept an IRS on an mx track until I pass em or at least run pace with em. I'd have thought by now they'd be more widely used. In GNCC especially there is no substitute, you cant beat an Outlaw on a rutted up woods course.

Sounds like a motor swap experiment might be in my springtime plans. I will agree if one is only riding mx and is at the pro level then yes straight axle is the way to go but IMHO if you are not a pro level mx rider the IRS is tits. I know you've been to Briarcliff, as I've met you up there, and Crow Canyon. I've been to both those tracks with my Outlaw and run pace with the 450 mx & sx bikes, one time with several members from OR and they couldn't shake me. Nobody ever seems to accept an IRS on an mx track until I pass em or at least run pace with em. I'd have thought by now they'd be more widely used. In GNCC especially there is no substitute, you cant beat an Outlaw on a rutted up woods course.

They did try and race them in GNCC... Didn't work well at all. More of a dependability issue more than anything.

The XC ATVs we have have your motor, but are lighter, shorter seat height and slightly more narrow. It's not a big deal as there are plenty of folks running all sorts of machines.

Again, it is what suits you the most...

• 4 months later...