End of GM 3.8l motor

scottie.harris

The only thing that i dislike about nissans, which they are my favorite car maker, is that they are a pain to work on. I am only basing this off a maxima that my uncle had, you had to tear half the motor apart just to change spark plugs.

Currently though i want a 90+ 300zx

The only thing that i dislike about nissans, which they are my favorite car maker, is that they are a pain to work on. I am only basing this off a maxima that my uncle had, you had to tear half the motor apart just to change spark plugs.

Currently though i want a 90+ 300zx

every car made since the 80s is a pain to work on.

If you think working on a Maxima was bad, wait til you get your hands on a 300zx. Always loved those and bought one as project in college. I kept it a month before I got so pissed working on it that I gave up. I have a short attention span and fuse though, so its not exactly a good combo. I decided to pick up an 88 IROC instead :)

If you have ever wanted to turbo the 3.8L they can make insane horsepower with enough money. A stock GN could push 450 plus with the right chip and the turbo turned way up, injectors and such. After that you are starting to look at stage II heads and block girdles with lots of billet parts inside. There are people pushing over 800hp from that motor. There is still debate about one guy getting 1000+ from a GN. If you look up Chris Chow Grand national. It smokes the wheels on the dyno and still puts down 1077HP. Most people claim that was after he switched to a v-8 motor but I have never seen a definitive answer or pictures of the car with the hood up.

I just continue to bow down to GNX awesomeness. :bow:

i know a guy from new bremen that has a 1000 hp gn.. hes had it built for 15 years still running stockbottom end and drag racing it quite often... that old motor is no joke

A turbo forces air from the exhaust back into the motor, a supercharger uses the crank shaft to turn the compressor. Forcing air into something leads to faster wear. You are correct that how you drive, maintain, and cool is a factor, but as far is it being the same wear as an n/a ive always heard different. not saying your wrong, its just thats what ive always heard and the theory that forcing air into something wears it down faster made sense to me.

Wait....what??

No exhaust fumes go into the intake, the exhaust pulses drive one fan that's connected by a shaft to a fan on the intake. That's all a turbo is.

every car made since the 80s is a pain to work on.

If you think working on a Maxima was bad, wait til you get your hands on a 300zx. Always loved those and bought one as project in college. I kept it a month before I got so pissed working on it that I gave up. I have a short attention span and fuse though, so its not exactly a good combo. I decided to pick up an 88 IROC instead :)

They're not that much harder to work on than a 88 Iroc. I would rather have the Iroc though.

I can do a VQ plug swap in less than 30 minutes. Not really sure what is difficult about it. If you're pulling the intake manifold then you need better tools.

I agree on the 300zx. Damn sexy car' date=' right there.[/quote']

The right tools make all the difference!

300ZX a sexy car? Meh. To each their own, I suppose.

I was surprised a few weeks ago at how underwhelming the N/A 300ZX's are. I guess I had forgotten, and the last few 300ZX's I had driven were turbo cars.

Wait....what??

No exhaust fumes go into the intake, the exhaust pulses drive one fan that's connected by a shaft to a fan on the intake. That's all a turbo is.

We've already determined he needs to read up a bit. Now you're just rubbing in in. lolz

They're not that much harder to work on than a 88 Iroc. I would rather have the Iroc though.

The right tools make all the difference!

300ZX a sexy car? Meh. To each their own, I suppose.

I was surprised a few weeks ago at how underwhelming the N/A 300ZX's are. I guess I had forgotten, and the last few 300ZX's I had driven were turbo cars.

In fairness, my IROC needed a lot less work but it just always seemed that the 300ZX I would fix one thing and then that would lead to 2 more things needing fixed. Yea the N/A are lackluster since they are a decently heavy car. I fell in love with the TT t-top and man did I love it when it I didn't have to work on it. It was also in college so I didn't have the money to do it right.

Remember my comment about that straight-6 eating other engines and shitting carbon? Yeah.

FF to 2:30 mark.

i hate you...only because you make me regret getting my G35 over an M3

You still bought the wrong car. :D

I loved my G35, but I still kick myself to this day for not spending a little bit more and getting the 03 LSB M3 I found in Indiana when I lived there. But I may have not ever gotten into bikes so then again I can't be that mad

Yeah' date=' but it comes with a free crotch sock, right?[/quote']

I'm sure it does. The guys at HPF are probably more than willing.

In HPF's slight defense of the price, that includes them pulling your motor, forging it, and installing all the goodies to make over 1000 whp for $40k.

Edited by RSVDon

^^^^----- :lol:

Thats sad if that really is the worlds fastest VQ. My Hayabusa runs quicker AND faster than that.

And that's not even the fastest one... that's just the first 8 second one I pulled up. :lol:

to be fair, the GN 3.8 is leaps and bounds better than the modern 3.8 from the Grand Prix and such. Really you should use the fastest grand prix or monte carlo or whatever buick car that had the 3.8 SCII in

I'm not sure how sad it really is' date=' considering the car isn't boosted and made 190 hp in stock form. I understand the Buick has a stock block, but what kind of heads is it running? What kind of upgraded turbo is it running? The Nissan has an intake, exhaust and nitrous. No, tens aren't a major number.. but given the materials it has to work with I'd, at least, call it credible.[/quote']

Dollar for dollar, I'd bet it'd take less to put a GM 3.8 mill into the 10s than the VQ mill. Taking weight out of a bloated American car is free after all.

I can not speak for the original 3.8 liter motor found in the GN's

As far as a late model 3800 the recipe for 1000 crankshaft horsepower is

Stock Block with machining work

Stock Crank

Stock 2004 GTP L32 Rods

Diamond Pistons

Stock Heads CNC Ported Manley Valves Comp 130# Valve Springs and Retainers

Cam and supporting valve train componets.

Cometic Head Gaskets

ARP fasteners throughout the motor.

Throw a couple of turbos on it capable of 1000 hp

All of this with the stock ECM

Here is a video of me tuning such a combo back in 2007

810 rwhp through a turbo 400 trans and ford 9 inch rear end

Right Click "Save As" - It will not play if you just click on the link

http://www.intense-racing.com/video/Tim_King_Dyno_810rwhp.wmv

I can not speak for the original 3.8 liter motor found in the GN's

As far as a late model 3800 the recipe for 1000 crankshaft horsepower is

Stock Block with machining work

Stock Crank

Stock 2004 GTP L32 Rods

Diamond Pistons

Stock Heads CNC Ported Manley Valves Comp 130# Valve Springs and Retainers

Cam and supporting valve train componets.

Cometic Head Gaskets

ARP fasteners throughout the motor.

Throw a couple of turbos on it capable of 1000 hp

All of this with the stock ECM

Here is a video of me tuning such a combo back in 2007

810 rwhp through a turbo 400 trans and ford 9 inch rear end

Right Click "Save As" - It will not play if you just click on the link

http://www.intense-racing.com/video/Tim_King_Dyno_810rwhp.wmv

That thing sounded good! How much boost was that?