Soon I'll have a badass garage!

Carwhore

I have been dealing with my dominion homes garage and it sucks. It's good for normal use, but i have to much shit! lol.

I will be selling my house after the 1st of the year. The plan is to build a badass garage. But like the tread a while ago where the guy has an upstairs apartment. I will be doing this.

The Plan:

Sell my house.

Purchase 5th wheel toyhauler

build garage

profit!

Once I sell my house there will be I'm figuring a 8-12mo spread from start to completion. So during this void I could, a.) live in an apartment and waste my money or b.) buy a bad ass camper to live in and keep. I'm going for option B.

Being that I am a car guy and I'm selling my house to build a big ass garage, if I'm going to buy a camper its going to have a garage too! So a toyhauler is it! I have it narrowed down to 2 campers.

1.) Road Warrior 405.

http://www.gillettesinterstaterv.com/cf/shopmast/productphotoresultsp.cfm?productid=689

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/listing/2011-HEARTLAND-RV-ROADWARRIOR-405RW-96721677

2.) Fuzion 412

This one is brand new. They don't even have one at any of the dealers i went to to look at them.

http://www.lakeshore-rv.com/cf/shopmast/productdetailp.cfm?productid=2493

During that time once I've sold the house and after i buy one of these I will be buying a plot of land. Most likely around the blacklick/pataskala/baltimore area. 5-10 acres depending on area and budget. Then start building. I'm going to do a block 4' footer with framing the rest. I figure i'll be paying to have the structure built and the concrete and block. I should be able to save alot of money and thats with me doing the electrical, plumbing, flooring, drying, etc.

This is a rough idea of what the build will look like. this took me about 15mins and is no way near to scale, but its close.

jpg.jpg

mygarageinteriordesign-1.jpg

If all goes right i should be able to have the garage paid in 5yrs. then im going to save for my house. I already have the house plan picked out. which this is it.

http://www.eplans.com/french_country_house-plans/HWEPL11024.hwx

which im all about garage space since i dont have dick right now. Check out the lower level for the house.

EDIT

The living area will be 30x50. 2 bedrooms. Once i get the garage paid, i will start building my house and once the house is completed the upstairs will be rented out. thats why there are stairs going above the garage so I can block access to the garage.

Edited by Carwhore
ADDED Interior design

that's pretty cool. Reminds me of Josh Herrin's place.

if the living space above the garage is going to be a long-term dwelling for anyone, I'd seriously suggest a (parcel?) elevator. Something big enough to fit appliances, etc.

at the very least, have a plan to rig a pulley system up on to the exterior "deck" on top of the RV garage.

Just living in a walk-up for a couple years, unloading groceries and stuff gets old really fast when stairs are involved. I'm sure there are safety and building codes for elevators designed to move people, but a parcel elevator probably has no such restrictions. Thus your groceries take a ride while you take the stairs.

it's cheap, and totally worth it.

that's pretty cool. Reminds me of Josh Herrin's place.

if the living space above the garage is going to be a long-term dwelling for anyone, I'd seriously suggest a (parcel?) elevator. Something big enough to fit appliances, etc.

at the very least, have a plan to rig a pulley system up on to the exterior "deck" on top of the RV garage.

Just living in a walk-up for a couple years, unloading groceries and stuff gets old really fast when stairs are involved. I'm sure there are safety and building codes for elevators designed to move people, but a parcel elevator probably has no such restrictions. Thus your groceries take a ride while you take the stairs.

it's cheap, and totally worth it.

im not going to build an elevator. This drawing is very basic. there will be an additional set of stairs that will be located in the rear of the garage going to the second story (they will be shorter than the stairs going over the rv part). And as far as moving appliances and groceries I won't have any issues moving stuff.

holy hell, 1600 for a reproducable print! I knew I should have stayed with the engineering firm!

Dude that is a kick ass garage... But I might have to play off of that! That would be awesome as the back part of the house! There is already the upper part of the garage that would blend nicely into the right house plan!

One thing I just saw though!

Is a 13'9" door enough to get either of those monsters in? especially if they have AC units mounted on top.

Edited by Beegreenstrings

holy hell, 1600 for a reproducable print! I knew I should have stayed with the engineering firm!

Dude that is a kick ass garage... But I might have to play off of that! That would be awesome as the back part of the house! There is already the upper part of the garage that would blend nicely into the right house plan!

One thing I just saw though!

Is a 13'9" door enough to get either of those monsters in? especially if they have AC units mounted on top.

this program is shit. I mean for free I cant bitch at all, but It will defiantly be more to "spec" when the time comes. But it will be 14' door with 15' clearance. the camper is 13'3.

what kind of pricing are you finding for those toy haulers? I've always been curious about them. plus, I could be mr. popular at the track.

you can get a new one for 45-55.

I'm going to try to pick one up at as sale (repo or dealer sale) for probably 23-30k. I know i can get one around that price, i want to find a 2009-2010 which will be hard.

Just seal the garage ceiling very very well. Paint....oil...gas...fumes will travel into the house easily. Learned that with a house I had that had an attached under the house garage. Fixable...not too hard...just something to be aware of.

Just seal the garage ceiling very very well. Paint....oil...gas...fumes will travel into the house easily. Learned that with a house I had that had an attached under the house garage. Fixable...not too hard...just something to be aware of.

already thought about that. I'm going to spray foam the hell out of it!:cool:

For your walll above your footer consider the cost of concrete and pour your walls 1 or 2 feet above your garage floor. Makes it nice for cleaning and no dead area wear floor/wall meet. We are. Putting Durotherm on the inside walls of our barn. It will make your garage much brighter. Insulate it as much as you can, but you probably already know some of this. Also.....FLOOR HEATING!!!!!!

your going to want to make sure you can get a construction loan first before you list your house. lending guidelines have became strict, your going to need at least 20% down, 700+ credit score, and a contractor to build it. I am not aware of many banks letting self builds. Nice man cave though

I'm not worried about getting a building loan. I have a great relationship with a few bankers at Fairfield national bank. And I'm a 760 ;)

i like your idea, and not to be a killjoy, but i know a guy who did something similar and had some issues with zoning and permits for such a structure outside of baltimore. his was a pole barn with a wood working shop below and it turned out to be really nice. i dont remember specifics and he got it built, but i just wanted to give you a heads up. also, my sister just built a small cabin and there was a sqare footage minimum for living space that they had to honor (1600 i think). just a couple things to think about that might effect your budgeting.

i've always wanted to do just what your are doing!

good luck, duder. :cool: