Considering 1st purchase, couple questions...

SWing'R

You can open carry it anywhere you could concealed, so no Gov't agencies, schools, establishments serving liquor, etc.

Thats kinda what I was looking for, the do's and don't's.

So bars are a no no for either open or concealed carry?

What about the whole "no concealed carry / weapons" signs at private businesses? Because they are a private establishement,

what is or could be the penalty if you were caught carrying in them? Or is there actually no penalty, they just try and keep you from doing it?

Civil trespass, directly from the Ohio attny general - if it's in a vehicle or parking lot

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/getattachment/6cbc82c0-21e6-4db1-b6e0-545e3970ee03/2009-Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet.aspx

Page 23

Criminal trespass if you actually take it into an establishment

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

ORC 2923.126 Sec C.3.a

(3) (a) Except as provided in division ©(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.
Edited by JRMMiii

Thanks. I gotta bookmark all the links you guys are givin me, I probably

need to change the title of this thread to "Considering 1st purchase, LOTS of questions" :D

But you guys know you love talking about this shit anyway ;)

Correct, no guns, open or concealed, in bars serving liquor. The statute specifically says "liquor", so <perhaps> a beer-only bar would be "ok", but I'm not testing the law...

If the store is posted as a CPZ (Criminal Protection Zone, a.k.a. "don't carry in my store"), then normally you would be asked to leave if they saw the gun. You leave, no probs. You don't leave, you're trespassing and can be charged with whatever level misdemeanor that is.

You can always say you didn't see the sign, but when asked by the store, you hafta comply.

Right now' date=' home defense. Later on possible concealed carry. Tell me a little about "open carry". What can you and can you not do?

Baby steps. Baby steps :D[/quote']

Basically Ohio has no law against the open carry of a handgun.

(Bottom of page 18. http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/getattachment/6cbc82c0-21e6-4db1-b6e0-545e3970ee03/2009-Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet.aspx)

This means anyone can put a holster on their hip with a handgun in it and walk down the streets of Columbus or into a any establishment that doesn't forbid the carry of firearms. If you open carry, the gun must be visible at all times. Don't cover it with your shirt or jacket. Also don't use one of those military style holsters that have the flap on it.

You cannot open carry into a motor vehicle. Even if it is on plain sight on you, when you get into a car or on a bike, it is considered concealed carry and you need a permit. This means you would have to unload the gun including any magazines and/or speed loaders. A semi auto with the magazine removed but still full of rounds is still a loaded firearm. Even if one is in the trunk and the other in the glove box.

Any establishment that doesn't want people carrying firearms are supposed to post a sign. This is the way the concealed carry book reads:

Signage

The law does not say precisely what language must be on the sign.

At a minimum, signs must be conspicuous and inform people that

firearms and/or concealed handguns are prohibited. However, the law

suggests that the prohibited locations post a sign that substantially

says the following:

Unless otherwise authorized by law, pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code,

no person shall knowingly possess, have under the person’s control,

convey, or attempt to convey a deadly handgun or dangerous ordnance

onto these premises.

Page 17 of the link posted earlier. My emphasis added with the bold. If a place posts a sign I won't go in unless I have to. If they want to take away my self defense, I don't give them my money.

I prefer open carry most of the time. It is easier to draw if needed and I prefer a show of force. It's also amazing how nice people become when I open carry. Before anyone jumps me, I don't OC so people are nice, that is just an observation of when I do. I also usually present a professional appearance. I won't wear baggy jeans down to my ass and a ac/dc t-shirt. If I look like a professional and know what I am doing, there are less people and police gonna mess with me.

If you are really interested, I meet with a group of people once a month who all open carry. We'll go to parks or restaurants and have a good time. You are more than welcome to come along with your wife. Like I've told others, if you wanna go out an OC, let me know, I'll go with you.

It's all personal preference if you carry concealed or open or carry at all.

Remember that carrying a sidearm brings a lot of responsibility. Just research the laws and talk with people.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or police officer. I am not responsible for your actions. It is your responsibility to research the laws before you decide to carry. I have only explained my views of the laws and may make mistakes.

If you're riding there after the Polar Bear thing, I'll go with ya, assuming it's not raining.

Not riding to the show, and not going on the polar bear run. It is supposed

to rain and be a high of 37, at least last time I checked.

Not even a 100% sure if I'm going, just tossing the idea around with the wife right now.

Sorry I will not open carry. To many people freak out about it around here. Now if they see me print and know what I have under my shirt whatever. Maybe down by you cbus peeps they are more accepting of open carry but cleveland not so much.

Yeah I won't open carry up around the Cleveland area. The police there are ignorant and arrogant. Did you see the video of the guy up around you open carrying for the fourth of July? It was either this last 4th or the year before. Cops stopped him for OC'ing and he goes "There is no law against it." Female cop goes "I don't know what you think you know about the law, but we know the law." :nono:

Yeah I won't open carry up around the Cleveland area. The police there are ignorant and arrogant. Did you see the video of the guy up around you open carrying for the fourth of July? It was either this last 4th or the year before. Cops stopped him for OC'ing and he goes "There is no law against it." Female cop goes "I don't know what you think you know about the law, but we know the law." :nono:

Sounds like you and your friends need to plan a roadtrip :)

Melissa and I went to the gun show @ Westland today. I'd never been to one before, it was pretty cool.

For as hesitant as the wife has been about the whole idea of getting a gun I was surprised (and kinda scared) to

see her picking up machine guns and saying shit like "oh yeah now that's what I'm talkin about" :wtf:

Perhaps it won't be as hard as I thought to talk her into it :o

Got to pickup and hold a few revolvers, I definitely like them, I think I like

the silver w/black grips better than all black ones. No purchases today.

Still got some looking around to do.

Yeah, I just picked up my first two handguns this past year, 2010. I now have my CHL and carry when I feel comfortable doing it. I actually carried all the way to Florida. If you want to learn more, take the CHL class. I learned quite a bit when taking it. A lot of these questions you are asking are talked about.

Question about the "plain view". I don't think it has to be in plain view anymore, correct?

Yeah, I just picked up my first two handguns this past year, 2010. I now have my CHL and carry when I feel comfortable doing it. I actually carried all the way to Florida. If you want to learn more, take the CHL class. I learned quite a bit when taking it. A lot of these questions you are asking are talked about.

Question about the "plain view". I don't think it has to be in plain view anymore, correct?

Posts 11 and 12. http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?p=598976#post598976