Help Windows 7 laptop webpages not displayed

scottb

Uhh, if the /system32 folder is gone isn't he pretty much screwed?

Yeah, you would be, I think he stumbled upon the WOW64 folder while looking for his hosts file, and wondered what it is.

If his \system32 folder had gone bye-bye, he wouldn't be able to boot the machine, so he'd have much bigger issues than stupid IE not cooperating.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have a system 32 folder, just thought that the sys64 looked odd. Win 7 new to me, i have not seen that on any of the XP computers i had.

looking for proxy settings tab

Yeah, 7 threw me off to. Especially the x86 stuff. I have 64 bit and was like what the heck is x86. 86 bit?? Had jporter explain it to me.

Yeah, you would be, I think he stumbled upon the WOW64 folder while looking for his hosts file, and wondered what it is.

If his \system32 folder had gone bye-bye, he wouldn't be able to boot the machine, so he'd have much bigger issues than stupid IE not cooperating.

Yeah, I reread it and realized what he meant.

worse dns attack I've had, changed my dns servers to moscow. When I went there (silly me) to look around, I found incoming ports redirected to unique matching folders, each of which executed a different viral attack. I was in awe. Way out of my league. I decided to back away, heheh.

Later found the same setup in the Ukraine.

So, from the command line are you still able to ping Google (or anything)?

And to clarify, other machines on your network are are able to get out using the same method (wireless, assuming that the 'broken' lapper is going out via wireless).

If you have a spare Ethernet cable, try plugging the lapper into your router, maybe do an "ipconfig/release" and "ipconfig/renew" just for yuks, restart IE (or Firefox), and see what happens.

Also, in IE, click Tools, Internet Options, click the Connections tab, click LAN Settings, and make sure that the "Use automatic config...." and "Use a proxy server..." boxes are not checked. Again, I'm guessing that you're not running your own proxy server at home...

Assuming you try all of the above and shit still ain't working, turn off the laptop, let it set for a moment, power it back on, see what happens. I know, I know, you already tried rebooting, but it's Windows. If a reboot doesn't cure it...

From command line, I can ping www.google.com (reply = 74.125.95.99)

Other machine function both wireless ( the one i am using to reply) and desktop hard wired.

I took non functional laptop to desktop hardwire connection, still nothing on that laptop with know good network cable. I am getting IP address wireless and hard wired on the non web page connecting laptop, so i know the home network is set to allow other devices and i have not limited the number wireless conection.

Auomatic detect settings is checked and use Proxy server unchecked

DNS is working.

Your network is working.

Everything's fine, except you can't get out to teh intarwebz through either connectivity option on the one laptop.

Sooo.

I would think that IE is hosed and that another browser would work, except that Firefox is broken, too.

If you have a thumb drive maybe try grabbing HiJack This (click) (link hosted at MajorGeeks.com, d/l should start automatically), install it on the laptop, run it, select the first option "Do a system scan and save a logfile", then PM the logfile to me (if you post it up here it'll take up a whole page).

I'll see if anything stands out like a sore, umm, thumb.

While you're waiting on the d/l (it's not very big), if your laptop is still wired in, try disabling the wireless (there should be a switch somewhere), see if that makes any difference... I doubt it, but it might.

I'm heading out of the data center and going home, so I'll check back in in 30 minutes or so.

I do remember rolling IE back on a particular computer, for these reasons.

I think I had to do that and reinstall two or three times before it worked consistently.

But I think that was an MS update error in that case.

And yes, I've seen IE and Firefox both break at the same time.

But I mostly find a viral attack causes it.

You might try a very long scan with SuperAntiSpyware later tonight (like over night).

And see if it finds anything. Oh, and scans in safe mode are worth trying also.

Back in 2008, Norton managed to do exactly this, break both browsers. The Norton had to be removed and re installed. There's a special removal tool for that, to do it right. It really is sounding like a firewall malfunction. If your Norton has firewall settings, try a reset to defaults (or shut it off to see what happens).

There was an IE8 update this week, I'm starting to get suspicious of that. It's also a 3 day weekend, and new unknown attacks generally start on those long weekends. If it can be broken, I've done it.

Since I ran into this yesterday on two servers that McAfee and MBAM said were "fine" but had obvious things wrong with them:

From a command prompt, type "at" and hit enter, normally you shouldn't have any scheduled tasks, unless you set something up via the task scheduler. <Might> be something there which <might> be causing your troubles.

Have you tried power cycling your router? Some consumer grade routers hiccup once in a while, and need a reboot. Could be something there, although it would most likely break ALL Internet traffic to the computer.

I generally just plug the cat5 from the cable modem right into the problem computer and bypass the router. Quick answer that way.

I generally just plug the cat5 from the cable modem right into the problem computer and bypass the router. Quick answer that way.

Yeah, that too. But I didn't mention that since the other PC's are functioning fine, and the modem doesn't usually do any routing. If it's DSL, it's probably a router, but then he probably has his own wireless router after it, anyway. Or not.