Salutations fellow Ohio mc riders

bmwbikerider

Probably have to work up to Utah but may be interested in the carolinas or TN! You ever ridden to Michigan? Was planning a possible May trip to Petoskey via state routes from Columbus,oh. I was looking at taking rt 30 through Indiana and north on 31. Ever been on these roads?

Tony

Stay off of 31 all that you can. It's a main route between Indy and South Bend and is crawling with cops. One of the most heavily patroled routes in Indiana. Four lanes wide for the most part and loads of traffic, too.

30 is also a major east / west road in northern Indiana with a decent amount of 4 lane road and traffic. Not a lot of good road choices in that area though. The area is very flat and boring, so just pick a route that'll get you through the area the fastest.

I've only ridden in Michigan a few times but drive through it monthly for work. Just not a huge fan of the area as there's so much flat boring stuff to cover before you get to anything good. Most weekend trips for me are heading south as the roads get good within 20 miles of my house.

Edited by Earache

Stay off of 31 all that you can. It's a main route between Indy and South Bend and is crawling with cops. One of the most heavily patroled routes in Indiana. Four lanes wide for the most part and loads of traffic, too.

30 is also a major east / west road in northern Indiana with a decent amount of 4 lane road and traffic. Not a lot of good road choices in that area though. The area is very flat and boring, so just pick a route that'll get you through the area the fastest.

I've only ridden in Michigan a few times but drive through it monthly for work. Just not a huge fan of the area as there's so much flat boring stuff to cover before you get to anything good. Most weekend trips for me are heading south as the roads get good within 20 miles of my house.

Yea. We went there camping but took the interstates. You're right about flat! The trip is not set in stone. I'm mainly concerned about weather in may. Historically looks to be only high of 60 and low 40s. I need warmth! You have any favorite destinations around 450 miles south?

You have any favorite destinations around 450 miles south?

Ya can't go wrong with the Smoky Mtns - right at 400 miles south of Columbus and an easy 5-6 hour ride. Perfect road surfaces, nice views but it can get a bit crowded and it rains a lot. Still, one of the best places in the USA to ride. I ride there 8-9 times per year.

Kentucky has some great riding and is even closer. Red River Gorge area is nice as is most of the area east of the I-75 corridor.

West Virginia: Can't say enough nice things about the place; no cops, no crowds, nice roads, friendly people and it's cheap! Lots of back roads to explore on ADV bikes, too.

The rides to Colorado and Utah are unbeatable as far as scenery goes. The roads aren't as tight and twisty or as smooth as they are in the southeast - but it is pretty country. Well worth the long ride to get there and check it out if you've never been.