Shameless plug for KTM Race Orange Events at Mid-Ohio...

Moto-Brian

Novice, because that's where he belongs since this will be his first track day, just where you should be for your first track day.

HA! I'm just asking questions. I haven't even decidied to get on a track, much less picked a group.

Your group has been picked its novice just do it you can come back later to complain about how it was too slow, a waste of time and you didn't have fun. I dare you.

Seeing some of the races from the sidelines had me missing being on the track and I am thinking of signing up for one of these events because I no longer have a track bike.

I will be like Tpoppa and ask what group I should sign up for. With the exception of a session early in 2009 at Nelson where my bike broke down and another early season two session day at Mid-Ohio where I totaled my track bike I haven't been on a track since then. The Mid-Ohio event was my first time signing up for advanced but it was a twilight event that made the whole group kind of like intermediate with really fast guys. This means I have never ran in the advanced group at a track day.

I don't mind being passed closely by the fast guys so I would be comfortable in advanced but I don't know if I should be there with so little track time the past few years. Another thing I am considering is that I don't really know how to ride a twin so the learning process may slow me down enough to make me dangerous in advanced.

For reference in 2008 at the end of season AMA Sports event I was running a 2005 CBR600RR with lap times of 1:39. This is what I would think is fast intermediate or slow advanced. With Brian running eight seconds a lap quicker really slow advanced but I don't think the whole advanced group runs that time do they?

If you never have been on a track before and your riding a bike you never rode before. I think the only logical choice is to get into the novice group.

Novice is broken into 5-6 different sub groups depending on riders ability and comfort level. I have had groups in the novice class that were faster than many Intermediate riders. I have had groups that needed more help to get comfortable on the bike and the track. During the day Groups will change as riders comfort level and skills change. Some riders will want to go in the faster groups while others will ask to go to a slower pace.

The best part of the novice group is if you are not up to speed with your group someone will pick you up and help you along. I actually loved that part of my job as instructor.

Finally I think all who have never been on the track before should do a Novice group. Even if you are Joe MotoGp rider you will walk away at the end of the day with good information to make you a better rider.

Like Brian said any group you can get 1:1 instruction just need to go to the garages and ask. We actually love doing this so don't be shy you might be pleasantly surprised how receptive the instructors are.

Hope this little bit of information helps

Your group has been picked its novice just do it you can come back later to complain about how it was too slow, a waste of time and you didn't have fun. I dare you.

Seeing some of the races from the sidelines had me missing being on the track and I am thinking of signing up for one of these events because I no longer have a track bike.

I will be like Tpoppa and ask what group I should sign up for. With the exception of a session early in 2009 at Nelson where my bike broke down and another early season two session day at Mid-Ohio where I totaled my track bike I haven't been on a track since then. The Mid-Ohio event was my first time signing up for advanced but it was a twilight event that made the whole group kind of like intermediate with really fast guys. This means I have never ran in the advanced group at a track day.

I don't mind being passed closely by the fast guys so I would be comfortable in advanced but I don't know if I should be there with so little track time the past few years. Another thing I am considering is that I don't really know how to ride a twin so the learning process may slow me down enough to make me dangerous in advanced.

For reference in 2008 at the end of season AMA Sports event I was running a 2005 CBR600RR with lap times of 1:39. This is what I would think is fast intermediate or slow advanced. With Brian running eight seconds a lap quicker really slow advanced but I don't think the whole advanced group runs that time do they?

We didn't really talk laptimes that much, but my impression was that if you are able to run 1:39's on a 600RR you would have probably been at the lead of this advanced group.

The KTM was incredibly easy to ride, and I have no doubts that you would adapt quickly. The riding position actually felt pretty similar to the newer CBR1000RR's.

We didn't really talk laptimes that much, but my impression was that if you are able to run 1:39's on a 600RR you would have probably been at the lead of this advanced group.

The KTM was incredibly easy to ride, and I have no doubts that you would adapt quickly. The riding position actually felt pretty similar to the newer CBR1000RR's.

Not quite, but a 39 is Advanced pace for sure. I think we were doing 36s Monday on stock bikes...

39 may be advanced pace but I have had a long layoff, the bike I was using had race tires, Ohlin’s front and rear.

I expect to go slower on a stock bike especially one I am not familiar with plus I don't know how to use a twin. Even if I could come close to an old time three seconds is an eternity to be out there with others if 36s are what is the advanced pace. I don't mind being passed it doesn't bother me at all. The year I tried to race the experts would pass me while they were lapping me without any problems. I have all the gear so this is a no brainer to try and ride.

What group should I sign up for?

Not quite, but a 39 is Advanced pace for sure. I think we were doing 36s Monday on stock bikes...

Ah, gotcha.

One of the instructors I spoke with made it sound like that pace would be very difficult to achieve, so I assumed (me = ass) that you guys weren't going that quick. Definitely speaks to the RC8's (and the rider's) abilities.

In hindsight I kind of wish I knew what laptimes I was running by the end of the day. I was playing with the bike's lap timer in the pits, but never did mess with it while riding, but it's probably good that I didn't have that as an additional distraction..

Edited by Hailwood

39 may be advanced pace but I have had a long layoff, the bike I was using had race tires, Ohlin’s front and rear.

I expect to go slower on a stock bike especially one I am not familiar with plus I don't know how to use a twin. Even if I could come close to an old time three seconds is an eternity to be out there with others if 36s are what is the advanced pace. I don't mind being passed it doesn't bother me at all. The year I tried to race the experts would pass me while they were lapping me without any problems. I have all the gear so this is a no brainer to try and ride.

What group should I sign up for?

Honestly, sign up for Advanced. Your skill set should be fine. MOST guys were nowhere near that 39 timeline. Only Pinson, Reuben and myself were running those times on stock bikes... I'd say if you can do a 42 or less, you can do Advanced.

The bottom line is this - it is more about smooth and consistent that is more important than speed. I've seen guys running 37s, but it was at the VERY limit and they were running erratic and sketchy. That could be better had they run 3 seconds slower and smoothed it all out and learned more. Not so much time as much as how you ride. Know what I mean?

Yes, I know what you mean. I am expecting to run in the 44 to 42 range though with the layoff, tires and learning a new platform (Twins). Unless the big motor makes up for lost time over my old 600.

I am looking at doing the 10th now and just need to decide how early to sign up to not get shut out and not do a rain day. I hate Mid-Ohio even with morning dew on the track and really don't want much of a chance for rain.

Ah, gotcha.

One of the instructors I spoke with made it sound like that pace would be very difficult to achieve, so I assumed (me = ass) that you guys weren't going that quick. Definitely speaks to the RC8's (and the rider's) abilities.

In hindsight I kind of wish I knew what laptimes I was running by the end of the day. I was playing with the bike's lap timer in the pits, but never did mess with it while riding, but it's probably good that I didn't have that as an additional distraction..

It's not hard to acheive, but take into account that people are on bikes that they are not used to and that the bikes may be different feeling to them vs what they are used to. So, in general, you were told correctly...

Just kind of putting this out there because I don't really have a definite feel for the answer. If on my best day with what I believe to be good equipment I run a 1:39 and Brian runs a 1:31 with his optimum conditions shouldn't I expect to see an eight second difference in times when we are on the same bike? That would put me it a 1:44 if you are running a 1:36 or am I missing something? Do street tires start to equalize things and make the faster guys slower?

Just kind of putting this out there because I don't really have a definite feel for the answer. If on my best day with what I believe to be good equipment I run a 1:39 and Brian runs a 1:31 with his optimum conditions shouldn't I expect to see an eight second difference in times when we are on the same bike? That would put me it a 1:44 if you are running a 1:36 or am I missing something? Do street tires start to equalize things and make the faster guys slower?

Damn son.. Quit thinking so hard.. Just sign up for A and run good solid lines.. U will be fine.. If you can run a 45 or below you will be JUST FINE

I'm with Dub. You are worrying too much. I never run fast times at a track day as it is just too hard with traffic.

The idea is that even at 44s, if you are smooth and consistent, you'll be fine. 44 is a little tough when talking regular days in Advanced, but at RC8 events, that's really good and easy to run around... Remember, it is half the traffic also and you get a lot of open track.

Back protector required for I or A... that's why I'm always in novice anymore. :(

I need to get one of those so I can run 'I'. I've never seen Black Tod's back protector, only seen him barebacking it with Inya.

I still have a few Bohn ones. $45. They are like new or some are new...

Back protector required for I or A... that's why I'm always in novice anymore. :(

I need to get one of those so I can run 'I'. I've never seen Black Tod's back protector, only seen him barebacking it with Inya.

I have two, you can borrow one, but keep away from Innya he's all mine.

I'll just stay in Novice where I can raw dog it all day.

Signed up for 8/10.