Can I park here???

JStump

I like to kick bikes over I see parked on sidewalks. Don't be a cock, park in a parking spot.

that's a dick move... kinda like opening your door when one is about to filter past you... it's just ignorance. Why fuck with someone's bike? I can see it from ignorant fuckers who don't ride/can't ride, but from a fellow rider? complete bullshit.

would you still follow this philosophy if you pulled into the parking lot and every space had only one bike in it?

parking on the sidewalk is only a dick move if you block the way, or park in front of someones door or something.

I'm of 2 minds about the issue, if for some reason the parking lot isn't a viable option, I can understand using empty sidewalk space, but honestly, the majority of the time, the parking lot is perfectly fine.

now how do you feel about double parking with other bikes (people you don't know)?

if I find a bike parked single, I will sometimes park in the same spot if it looks like an easy/convenient thing to do, and if not, I park in such a way that someone else on a bike can park in my spot with me. (diagonal to the lines, towards the front of the space) this seems especially effective when parking on the street against a curb.

that's a dick move... kinda like opening your door when one is about to filter past you... it's just ignorance. Why fuck with someone's bike? I can see it from ignorant fuckers who don't ride/can't ride, but from a fellow rider? complete bullshit.

I'm of 2 minds about the issue, if for some reason the parking lot isn't a viable option, I can understand using empty sidewalk space, but honestly, the majority of the time, the parking lot is perfectly fine.

now how do you feel about double parking with other bikes (people you don't know)?

if I find a bike parked single, I will sometimes park in the same spot if it looks like an easy/convenient thing to do, and if not, I park in such a way that someone else on a bike can park in my spot with me. (diagonal to the lines, towards the front of the space) this seems especially effective when parking on the street against a curb.

i wonder if two bikes can share a parking meter lol

would you still follow this philosophy if you pulled into the parking lot and every space had only one bike in it?

parking on the sidewalk is only a dick move if you block the way, or park in front of someones door or something.

It was a joke but yes.

It was a joke. I wouldn't kick another guys bike over. I sure as fuck wouldn't feel bad for him if someone fucked up his bike for parking on a sidewalk though.

Riding a motorcycle doesn't give you special rights to be an arrogant prick. It only makes riders look even worse to cagers. Parking on a sidewalk puts you on the same level as a squid.

• Upvote 2

i wonder if two bikes can share a parking meter lol

I don't see why not, same amount of parking "real estate" is being used.

same as if two smart cars wanted to do it, as long as you can get them both within the designation lines, there is no reason why anyone should bitch.

It was a joke. I wouldn't kick another guys bike over. I sure as fuck wouldn't feel bad for him if someone fucked up his bike for parking on a sidewalk though.

Riding a motorcycle doesn't give you special rights to be an arrogant prick. It only makes riders look even worse to cagers. Parking on a sidewalk puts you on the same level as a squid.

I had hoped not... you seem like a pretty good dude most of the time.

I'd still feel bad, but not as bad as i would feel for the guy who was parked legally who got his bike run over by a chick on the phone not paying attention and parking on top of his bike. I'd feel way worse for that guy.

I do tend to go out of my way not to look like an arrogant prick. (although sometimes i really am)

I'm so sorry, I park wherever I feel like it. Which is all of the above. Only once was there a problem. Which was on OSU campus where I was parking inside the landscaping shrubs where I was hidden and couldn't be seen. One parking ticket. And I went right ahead and continued to park there for years without a problem.

I had hoped not... you seem like a pretty good dude most of the time.

I'd still feel bad, but not as bad as i would feel for the guy who was parked legally who got his bike run over by a chick on the phone not paying attention and parking on top of his bike. I'd feel way worse for that guy.

I do tend to go out of my way not to look like an arrogant prick. (although sometimes i really am)

Yeah I guess I didn't it obvious I wasn't being serious.

I'm just of the mindset that it's a motor vehicle so it goes where other motor vehicles go as far as things like parking. A Smart car is really small and I don't imagine anyone making excuses for it if it were parked on a side walk.

:lol: I actually don't see you being an arrogant prick ever, a bit of an ass maybe... :D

I've always parked in the parking spaces, except at IP. I just pick a safe spot and walk, not a big deal to me. To me, parking on the sidewalk by the door is just being lazy. I'm just not like that. I almost always use the stairs instead of the elevator too. Just my preference.

I've always parked in the parking spaces, except at IP.

this is a different situation in my mind... If the business owner chooses to clearly mark the sidewalks as "motorcycle parking" then have at it. There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't IMO. That is the decision of the business owner.

this is a different situation in my mind... If the business owner chooses to clearly mark the sidewalks as "motorcycle parking" then have at it. There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't IMO. That is the decision of the business owner.

You're absolutely correct. If they make it known that you can park a bike there, than that's cool. I just don't go around making my own parking spots.

This is the closest I could find. I can't find anything about the white lines, only sidewalks.

4511.68 Parking - prohibited acts.

(A) No person shall stand or park a trackless trolley or vehicle, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or to comply with sections 4511.01 to 4511.78, 4511.99, and 4513.01 to 4513.37 of the Revised Code, or while obeying the directions of a police officer or a traffic control device, in any of the following places:

(1) On a sidewalk, except a bicycle;

(2) In front of a public or private driveway;

(3) Within an intersection;

(4) Within ten feet of a fire hydrant;

(5) On a crosswalk;

(6) Within twenty feet of a crosswalk at an intersection;

(7) Within thirty feet of, and upon the approach to, any flashing beacon, stop sign, or traffic control device;

(8) Between a safety zone and the adjacent curb or within thirty feet of points on the curb immediately opposite the ends of a safety zone, unless a different length is indicated by a traffic control device;

(9) Within fifty feet of the nearest rail of a railroad crossing;

(10) Within twenty feet of a driveway entrance to any fire station and, on the side of the street opposite the entrance to any fire station, within seventy-five feet of the entrance when it is properly posted with signs;

(11) Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction when such standing or parking would obstruct traffic;

(12) Alongside any vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street;

(13) Upon any bridge or elevated structure upon a highway, or within a highway tunnel;

(14) At any place where signs prohibit stopping;

(15) Within one foot of another parked vehicle;

(16) On the roadway portion of a freeway, expressway, or thruway.

(B) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

chebby - i dont think the walk way in front of a store like best buy etc is considered a "side walk" by law....im not sure if you can get a ticket for it or not, probably only subject to tow if the owner doesnt want you there

Definition:

(FF) “Sidewalk” means that portion of a street between the curb lines, or the lateral lines of a roadway, and the adjacent property lines, intended for the use of pedestrians

EE) “Roadway” means that portion of a highway improved, designed, or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, except the berm or shoulder. If a highway includes two or more separate roadways the term “roadway” means any such roadway separately but not all such roadways collectively.
(BB) “Street” or “highway” means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way open to the use of the public as a thoroughfare for purposes of vehicular travel.

So I'd say yes.

This is the closest I could find. I can't find anything about the white lines, only sidewalks.

wasn't aware of 15... I used to park illegally all the time apparently. Assholes would park on the line, and I'd park right next to them and climb out the back of my blazer.

wasn't aware of 15... I used to park illegally all the time apparently. Assholes would park on the line, and I'd park right next to them and climb out the back of my blazer.

I wasn't either lol. I'm curious if you would still be at fault since they are on the line? I'd venture to say you would be since I am not finding anything about the lines in parking lots and if they hold any legal bearing.

So I'd say yes.

still gonna have to disagree man...private parking lots are different from public roadways

according to what youre saying, a police officer could drive through iron ponys lot and ticket every bike on the sidewalk, regardless of whether or not they have permission to be there. cars parked outside of dealerships on the front walkways would also be parked illegally and subject to tickets. i just dont see it man.....guess we can agree to disagree, unless you have some way to prove it to me without a doubt, because im still gonna say not

and a parking lot is not "a thoroughfare for purposes of vehicular travel"....thats why if you drive through a parking lot to ditch a light, you can get a ticket...but if you take a side street to ditch a light, you cant. one is intended for travel, the other is for "parking"

still gonna have to disagree man...private parking lots are different from public roadways

according to what youre saying, a police officer could drive through iron ponys lot and ticket every bike on the sidewalk, regardless of whether or not they have permission to be there. cars parked outside of dealerships on the front walkways would also be parked illegally and subject to tickets. i just dont see it man.....guess we can agree to disagree, unless you have some way to prove it to me without a doubt, because im still gonna say not

and a parking lot is not "a thoroughfare for purposes of vehicular travel"....thats why if you drive through a parking lot to ditch a light, you can get a ticket...but if you take a side street to ditch a light, you cant. one is intended for travel, the other is for "parking"

I don't care. I just gave the definitions from the ORC. You can make your choice.

Not saying its ok, just that it may only be towable not ticketable

Like I said, I don't know. Just going off what I could find. I don't park on sidewalks or in the white lines so I don't give it much thought.

On base I used to park my truck with the two right side tires up on the sidewalk. My house was on the end of a court and there wasn't a lot of room for people to drive by. One day I found a ticket on my windshield. Granted this was a military installation and was issued by military police so laws/jurisdictions may vary, but I don't mess around with stuff like that anymore.