Can I park here???

JStump

Is it legal to park in the white lined areas of parking lots? I have seen bikes do it before but I wasn't sure if it was legal or not. Also, are there any other places bikes are allowed to park other than regular car parking spots? Lol

Parking lots are privately owned, so it's not illegal per se, but they can tow you if they want. So, you take your chances when you park within the lines. Many companies designate certain parking areas for bikes only, so you just have to look.

Also, are there any other places bikes are allowed to park other than regular car parking spots? Lol

yeah, anywhere you can fit. thats reason 14654 why bikes are awesome. ::metal::

just dont be a dick about it and like park right in front of a door or something.

you have any specific parking lot in mind or just in general? ive parked on the sidewalk at places like best buy, walmart or whatever before. never had a problem. at OSU and when i worked downtown, there was designated bike parking so that was always titties.

im pretty sure in the city you can share parking meter space too, as long as the meter has time on it. thats kind of a risky proposition sometimes, bc you dont want a car to knock your bike over.

i got a ticket in athens for parking my bike in a normal parking spot....i was in the very corner of the lot, in a regular parking spot....not bothering anybody

apparently, they have bike parking...even though i only saw a handful of those spots, littered all around randomly through the city, with a big sign saying you need some type of pass or something to use them.

i would usually park in normal spots, or park in the lined off sections if i was sure not to get too close to the cars parked next to those sections (dont wanna piss people off who cant open their door because of my bike)...some smaller places like the gym and best buy etc, i would park on the sidewalk up by the door, but like 30ft from the door..out of everybodys way

I like to kick bikes over I see parked on sidewalks. Don't be a cock, park in a parking spot.

this is what i figure most people think. But then they get all pissy too when one small bike is taking up a big car spot so ya can't win

this is what i figure most people think. But then they get all pissy too when one small bike is taking up a big car spot so ya can't win

That never made sense to me when people say that. So if it was just me in my car it's alright, but me on my bike and someone thinks I'm wasting a parking space. No friggin' sense at all.

That never made sense to me when people say that. So if it was just me in my car it's alright, but me on my bike and someone thinks I'm wasting a parking space. No friggin' sense at all.

yea...thats why i was furious with getting the ticket i got...its not like i parked a car in a motorcycle spot....i parked my bike in a spot made for a car, instead of driving my car and taking up the exact same spot....ridiculous

only rode to save gas...but then with my ticket i got i broke even as if i had just driven my truck instead....woulda rather drove my truck and had some AC since it was middle of summer and blazing and i had to walk around campus carrying my helmet

Edited by Steve Butters

whatever you do, DO NOT park in the shaded areas near handicapped spaces. That is a real good way to get an indignant handicapped person parked on top of your bike even if you don't get a ticket.

1) those shaded areas are usually there to allow for wheel-chair vehicles to set down their lift next to the van. Handicapped people have a boner for nailing people on shit like this.

2) the vast majority of people I see with handicapped hang-tags are 900 years old and can barely see over the wheel - do you really want to trust them to maneuver a 5,000 lbs. car near your 500 lbs bike?

unless every single last spot is taken, I usually try to park as far from buildings and other cars as possible (it's not like walking is hard). The only time I'll park on the sidewalk is at Iron Pony (even then, I usually park in the lot... no one cares about my EX500...), or if it's a gravel parking lot and I forgot the metal plate or block of wood I usually keep in my riding jacket.

Even that pisses me off - it's the rider's job to be prepared for such things. when i was 16, some a-hole parked his F4i on the sidewalk at the concession stand I was working for my summer job. It was a gravel parking lot, and I wouldn't have cared, but he expected ME to look after his bike. He came over all pissed off that i was "letting" kids touch it.

I told him he was lucky none of them burned themselves on the exhaust or pulled it over on top of themselves. the concession stand was 40 feet from a play ground - dude was an idiot. I shouldn't have "let" him park there to begin with.

don't be that guy.

• Upvote 1

whatever you do, DO NOT park in the shaded areas near handicapped spaces. That is a real good way to get an indignant handicapped person parked on top of your bike even if you don't get a ticket.

1) those shaded areas are usually there to allow for wheel-chair vehicles to set down their lift next to the van. Handicapped people have a boner for nailing people on shit like this.

2) the vast majority of people I see with handicapped hang-tags are 900 years old and can barely see over the wheel - do you really want to trust them to maneuver a 5,000 lbs. car near your 500 lbs bike?

unless every single last spot is taken, I usually try to park as far from buildings and other cars as possible (it's not like walking is hard). The only time I'll park on the sidewalk is at Iron Pony (even then, I usually park in the lot... no one cares about my EX500...), or if it's a gravel parking lot and I forgot the metal plate or block of wood I usually keep in my riding jacket.

Even that pisses me off - it's the rider's job to be prepared for such things. when i was 16, some a-hole parked his F4i on the sidewalk at the concession stand I was working for my summer job. It was a gravel parking lot, and I wouldn't have cared, but he expected ME to look after his bike. He came over all pissed off that i was "letting" kids touch it.

I told him he was lucky none of them burned themselves on the exhaust or pulled it over on top of themselves. the concession stand was 40 feet from a play ground - dude was an idiot. I shouldn't have "let" him park there to begin with.

don't be that guy.

i always figured parking in the lined off sections by the handicap zone was interfering with handicap parking and i always assumed you would get a ticket for it, the $250 fine or whatever you get for parking in a handicap zone

I believe you are correct - but I think you're more likely to find a pissed-off person in a wheel chair than a cop "patrolling" a parking lot.

if you were in a wheel chair and needed to use the spot, would you call the cops and wait 20-60 minutes for the cop to come write a ticket and probably NOT tow/move the bike; or would you just knock it over with the lift and claim you didn't see it there?

yea...thats why i was furious with getting the ticket i got...its not like i parked a car in a motorcycle spot....i parked my bike in a spot made for a car, instead of driving my car and taking up the exact same spot....ridiculous

only rode to save gas...but then with my ticket i got i broke even as if i had just driven my truck instead....woulda rather drove my truck and had some AC since it was middle of summer and blazing and i had to walk around campus carrying my helmet

Just another reason we get frustrated with cagers and they'll never understand why...

Yea but you looked cool doing it....:D

I'd say its ok to do unless there a signs that saw will be towed or ticked. No really much to worry about seeing how only a small number of people ride. As mentioned some places are putting in two-wheeled parking only spaces.

I've never understood the sense of entitlement that comes with these type threads. A moto is a motor vehicle and is to be parked as such or in designated areas, end of discussion. As far as the ticket issued in a car spot, I can't imagine any judge that wouldn't have thrown that right out, but I'm not a judge...

• Upvote 1

I like to kick bikes over I see parked on sidewalks. Don't be a cock, park in a parking spot.

would you still follow this philosophy if you pulled into the parking lot and every space had only one bike in it?

parking on the sidewalk is only a dick move if you block the way, or park in front of someones door or something.

would you still follow this philosophy if you pulled into the parking lot and every space had only one bike in it?

parking on the sidewalk is only a dick move if you block the way, or park in front of someones door or something.

Just applies to Harley riders bikes...