Springfield XDM 40 3.8 Review

Tonik

It freaking rocks.

The kit is awesome. Comes in a very nice waterproof pelican case. The extra grip parts for different sizes is a nice touch. I went with the largest size. Two mags, an 11 and a 16. The 11 is for a short grip carry set up. The 16 hold my whole hand very well and I have a pretty big hand and long fingers. The 11 leaves your pinky off gun. With the bigger grip parts on I can wrap my hand and still have room for the heal of my off hand to fit where it needs to be. Something not many guns will do for me.

I can double-double tap it pretty well after just a 100 rounds. Very nice groupings at 20 feet for just the first time out. I shot everything with the shorter mag since that is the mag I will carry. Snappy as you would expect from a 40 sub-compact. But very manageable and easy to get the sight picture back after the shot.

Super easy to tear down and clean.

• Upvote 1

Bro. youre killin me. i want it in the 9.

There are lots of the 9's around. The 40 is still in short supply, they just started shipping the 40 a few weeks ago. I bought mine today at the Medina Gun Show. They had just got the one in on Friday afternoon as they were packing for the show. I figured there might be a few of them there at the show so I made sure I was there when they opened. There was only one 40 sub compact kit in the whole building. I snagged it.

I'm gonna be buying a XD, probably in .40 (maybe 9mm) in the next few days. Thanks for the review!

Just for the record, my review is of the M version. The newer matched barrel and all the goodies in it. Few other minor changes....but that said I have shot the plain XD in the 40 and it too is an outstanding gun. Very few differences and the cheaper price on the XD is very attractive. At the last second this morning I almost switch to the regular XD to save the cash.

Just for the record, my review is of the M version. The newer matched barrel and all the goodies in it. Few other minor changes....but that said I have shot the plain XD in the 40 and it too is an outstanding gun. Very few differences and the cheaper price on the XD is very attractive. At the last second this morning I almost switch to the regular XD to save the cash.

I'll trade ya my XD40 Subcompact for it! Pleeaasssee!

So, do you think the "M" is worth $100 more? I'm really not so sure about getting the "M" due to price.

So, do you think the "M" is worth $100 more?

I think so but it is borderline. I stepped up because I knew it was the gun I wanted, it would do what I wanted and that I would keep it for a long time. But it also depends on how much a 100 bucks means to someone. It means a heck of a lot less to Donald Trump than me.

Anyway, extra rounds in the smaller clips, melonite coating, match barrel (although I think that is over hyped). The spring system is redone, it recoils better. Also the trigger is much nicer on the M. Shorter pull to break and a shorter reset for follow on shots.

Ummm....maybeletmethink...no

But at least you took a second to think about it...lol!

I just got the 9mm xdm full size version, after trading to upgrade. Love it, and I think the extras are nice. One day I might find someone to trade me and let me upgrade the other one to an M.

For thoes of you thinking about a xdm 9mm..the 9mm and the .40 are exactly the same other then the mag and barrel. I've got a full size .40 and bought a 9mm mag and barrel. you can swap between calibers in seconds just sawp the barrel slap in the mag and your good to go

you can swap between calibers in seconds just sawp the barrel slap in the mag and your good to go

I don't have the exact details yet, so don't flame too much if I get this wrong because I have just looked at the idea yesterday in passing. I think you have to also change the recoil spring. There are a couple of companies that make a complete kit. But it seems very doable and pretty cheap to do the conversion. Varying reports of how reliable it is, some folks are reporting high rates of FTE's.

My sources are the internets, so take it for what it is worth.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-m-discussion-room-xd-m/142360-convert-xdm-40-9mm.html

Edited by Tonik

I've kept every copy of Gun Tests Magazine since January 1996. The only pistol I've ever read about shooting sub 1" groups with all ammo tested at 20 YARDS was the XDM 45. That's impressive to say the least.

I don't have the exact details yet, so don't flame too much if I get this wrong because I have just looked at the idea yesterday in passing. I think you have to also change the recoil spring. There are a couple of companies that make a complete kit. But it seems very doable and pretty cheap to do the conversion. Varying reports of how reliable it is, some folks are reporting high rates of FTE's.

My sources are the internets, so take it for what it is worth.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-m-discussion-room-xd-m/142360-convert-xdm-40-9mm.html

From what I remember reading over the on xdtalk, if you buy the "kit" (I forget who makes it) the FTE problems go away.

I opted to get the XD .40 SC. The XDM .40 SC was over $200 more right now, since what I got is on sale. The XDM 9 SC was on sale, $110 more than the XD 9 SC, which I would have done, but since the XDM .40 SC wasn't even on the shelves when the last ad came out, it wasn't on sale.

From what I remember reading over the on xdtalk, if you buy the "kit" (I forget who makes it) the FTE problems go away.

Good to know if there is ever another ammo shortage, appreciate the heads up.

I opted to get the XD .40 SC.

Great gun, you won't be sad. Getting the larger caliber was a good choice, imho.