anyone watch the 500?

kawi kid

It's not the same as it was 10 years ago. I can't keep interested in it anymore. Leveling the playing field with the "car of tomorrow" took a lot of the competitiveness out of it.

Indycar isn't any better. It IS fun to go to a race, but watching on tv, not so much any more.

Its been a long time since someone his age has showed up able to actually drive. Gordon was probably the last one and he has been around quite awhile now.

During the race, they mentioned something about how Gordon took Bayne 'under his wing' this week. And taught him about the track. Apparently, Bayne was paying close attention.

Its been a long time since someone his age has showed up able to actually drive. Gordon was probably the last one and he has been around quite awhile now.

not to be a nascar hater or anything but there are plenty of kids his age out there who are more than capable of driving at that level, they are just not going into nascar. a good amount of kids his age are trying to make it into european gp series that will broaden their career opportunities instead of just sticking with nascar sanctioned racing. and last time i checked this kid named sebastian vettle just took home a formula world title at the ever so ripe age of 21......

Not a NASCAR fan.

Watched Pastrana's race a little while back, he got fifth by avoiding trouble. Watched Carmichael's truck race from Friday, he ran 2nd most of the race behind his teammate, eventually got freight-trained on a restart, avoided trouble, got 8th. I actually watched that race very quickly by fast-forwarding through the single-file parts and cautions.

Didn't see the 500 - was it like the truck race where the fast line was just to stick your LF on the double yellow and run single-file around the bottom? Commentators were blaming it on the repave - almost seemed like they were apologizing for the boring.

In my opinion speedway racing is just like driving 200mph bumper-to-bumper on the freeway for hours, stopping for gas once in awhile, just waiting for someone to screw up. Seems anyone can win on luck - I'm not amazed some random kid won Daytona, I'm more amazed that Jimmie Johnson has consistently won championships. I guess it's just a matter of putting yourself in the right place at the right time.

Oval track racing in general is more about car setup that driver. You just need a guy physically and mentally fit to be consistent over a race distance. I'm not at all surprised by Pastrana and Carmichael's apparent roundy-round "ability" - they both have some serious teams behind them.

I also generally hate any form of racing with pit stops.