Someone got into my gmail...

jagr

and sent everyone a buncha stupid shit.

Can anyone tell me how i might track this soon to be departed soul down so i may deliver him to the underworld it would be appreciated. :mad:

I changed my password. i dont access it from anywhere but my mobile and the house once in a while.

No banking info in there at all.

anything else i should check?

Weak password as in password is similar to username/login.

Other than that, most likely you:...

visited an infected site.

received an infected email

you were the target of an attack.

None of these are very hard to execute to get your login info with 1 and 2 the most obvious..

Edited by flounder

Hard to track to it's actual source. It probably didn't come from where it looks like. The apparent source was probably a compromised server, and they need to tighten up their ops. And the attack on your account was a redirect using your mailing list. Think of it as a drive-by with squirt guns. Little damage done, it's just very annoying...

(note: a ton of this crap actually comes from Chicago...)

I had my msn and Facebook account hacked from England. WTF is the point of hacking Facebook?!

the main purpose is to figure out the answer to the security questions for other password protected websites of the people they want to hack.

sometimes they will get lucky and target someone who just does the cookie cutter security questions (what's your mom's name, when's your birthday, what's your pet's name etc) and these can easily be found on facebook, which is easily easily stupid easy hacked. <-- very easy

banks/credit card sites mostly use these security questions.

this is why it's important to make up your own questions if you don't already

One of my GMail accounts was taken over completely - answer to security question changed, sms retrieval # changed, password changed, etc.

Tried the recovery options, couldn't answer the questions. I'm pretty sure I know what Pop's middle name was...

Have a buddy that works for Google in London, he has a contact on the GMail team, vouched for me that I actually am the owner, so they reset it for me. Took 2 weeks.

Here's a link to set up Google 2 factor authentication (click), this way you'll need your password AND a 6 digit code every 30 days (at least, can set it to every time) to get into your mail. <Should> make it much more difficult to get p0wned. Hopefully.

This happened to me with my gmail, no big deal really. It happened to my wife with Yahoo though, and it started a family fued! Her's was for HIV drugs, and it got sent to her dad, and evidently her stepmom read it. Now he won't talk to her. All over something she didn't do! ugh...

It amazes me that it happens as often as it does. Also makes you realize just how crappy the security on most internet companies really is. I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the amount of foreign workers in these companies. After all how hard is it for them to steal information giving them the ability to jack an e-mail account to spam your contact list when they work for the company? Kind of like public officials with access to sensitive social security and personal information. Easy enough for them to copy that information and sell it.