Sniper's Econo-bike build

fazer1sniper

Since I'm past the point of no return on this little bike I figured I'd post some stuff up.

I decided to give this a shot...

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=69365

I got a chance last month to snag a little '80 Yamaha XS400 I worked on about 3 years ago.

Picked it up for $100 based on a deal I had with it's owner for the free stuff I gave him when I fixed it. The deal was when he out grows it as a first bike I get first shot at it. All I really wanted was the motor and wireing.

01-17-115.jpg

01-17-119.jpg

01-17-1110.jpg

Next a raid of my JUNK. All the scrap parts I have tossed aside, steel scrap from disguarded household crap and what ever junk I can find.

01-17-11.jpg

Keepers from the first search was a front end from a '82 Honda FT500 and the partial frame from the wife's '82 KZ305.

First bought part was a fuel tank. Was a HELL of a deal. This old Harley peanut tank at a used parts shop for $25

01-20-118.jpg

the price tag...

01-20-11.jpg

My kid's old bicycle frame from years ago found in the old Ford bed where I store scrap... I wanted the shock.

02-20-118.jpg

For this... New spring from the guys of a bent CBR front fork... diamond plate from one of my dad's scrap drilling trucks....Freebie.

02-27-113.jpg

02-27-112.jpg

So I'm at $166 in it so far... $169 with the tail light I'm probably gonna use.

This is how the build sits tonite. I do need to get a new set of streering head berrings, turn signals and what ever else comes up. That's bout it till I can get back in it this weekend.

Seat's done. Just set together placesd aside till I start shooting paint. Think I have a free full day tomorrow to see what else I get built. The it's gonna be a while till I can work on it again. Gotta head to FT Bragg later this week for a few days.

03-06-11.jpg

03-06-112.jpg

I was able to cut out several braces for the frame today. Was able to tack on about half of them. My crap 110v welders are no longer gonna cut it. To add insult to injury, back to work tomorrow 12hr midnite shifts till thursday am. Them gotta load up the cage and off to FT Bragg. Back just in time to go back to work. This thing is gonna sit unfinished for over a week. Stuff like this drives me nuts.

I was able to cut out several braces for the frame today. Was able to tack on about half of them. My crap 110v welders are no longer gonna cut it. To add insult to injury, back to work tomorrow 12hr midnite shifts till thursday am. Them gotta load up the cage and off to FT Bragg. Back just in time to go back to work. This thing is gonna sit unfinished for over a week. Stuff like this drives me nuts.

Dont feel bad. You arent the only one running behind. I still need to get the little things done to the Honda. Also i have another bike i still need to come up with a braking system and tear down for powder coat and paint. I usually can only get about a one day in on the weekends and one evening during the week. That and it being to cold out to paint really sucks. The little bit of spray bombing i did in the basement didnt sit to well with the wifey.

Gotta love Ohio weather. I still gotta get the frame all tacked together. as soon as I can pull the motor out it has to be loaded up and off to my old man's shop for his drilling company. His welders are what I really need access too.My lil 110 volt makes a mess and I dont trust it. I can clean up my ugly welds, but weak is another thing. I just cant get the heat out of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting on a few parts and such I started to figure out what I could as it comes to routing the wireing. Frame is at a stand still till I get my trippple tree back from being bored out.

03-22-114.jpg

Since I had little to do I cracked open my free can of paint and shot a few parts i could.

03-22-118.jpg

03-22-113.jpg

03-22-117.jpg

03-22-112.jpg

With that much done I killed some more time messing around with a DOT Fulmer Trooper lid I had around.

03-22-115.jpg

03-22-1110.jpg

I hope to take a half hour wendsday and shoot a second coat on the parts and hope the tripple tree gets done to fit the new stem. This weekend I'm hoping to get alot done and maybe some art on the top of the tank while I'm waiting on parts.

Torn down, pulled motor...

03-27-1110.jpg

Triple tree's back and bored out for the new stem...

03-27-112.jpg

Frame ready to be taken to Dad's shop for a date with bigger welders.

03-27-11.jpg

$210.51 in the build now with the steering bearings paid for and ordered.

Front 19" tire and a set of turn indicators yet to buy.