OK got my SuperHawk... Got some questions

Beegreenstrings

Also, different type of question, What oil do the V-twin riders run in your bikes? I was looking at Mobil 1 Full synthetic the other day?

Also, what weight? I always run 20w50 in my 4's and in the VTX1300, Same in this Twin?

Mobil1 Vtwin 20w50 full synth for the SV.

I run the Mobil 4T 10w40 in my I-4.

Though I think last time I got a deal on 10w40 so I just ran it across the board. Either one won't hurt since yours is liquid cooled. The 20w50 is supposed to be better on air-cooled vtwins (ala Harley). Bottom line if it's JASO MA2 certified... it's fine.

Yeah, what JRM said. Mobil 4T is getting some competition now-a-days, but it's still rated #1 or #2 for street. Your owner's manual should specify what weight oil to use in what ambient temperatures. I'll go with the "must be JASO MA2 certified". Better safe than sorry.

Currently using dirt cheap Rotella T (JASO MA2) to store bikes over Winter. I'm going to run it and see how long it lasts. I don't expect it will last long at all. It's 15w40, fookin diesel engine oil. I could be wrong.

I normally run good JASO part synthetics. If your bike is high compression or air cooled, I'd use a full synthetic instead. I'm also a big fan of having an oil change just before the hottest part of the Summer starts. Lessons learned over 40 years. Really, despite the ability of motor oils to run forever, I still like seasonal oil changes, 4 times a year. Maybe I'll stretch that to three times a year now.

edit: The 98-03 VTR1000F Service Manual says:

Honda GN4 4-stroke oil or equivalent motor oil (or better)

API service classification SF or SG (obsolete: use JASO MA2)

Viscosity: SAE 10W-40

Edited by ReconRat

Thanks guys, fedex also dropped off the parts from Yoshi today... Started dismanteling the exhuast system... WOW. They sent me some really cool looking pillow style packing but also included steel wool looking stuff? Flat out... I have no clue what that is! The new baffle sleeves are sweet looking! Got diamond holes cut into them instead of circles.

Did I mention before how much I love this thing... Just standing in the garage drooling over it...

Currently using dirt cheap Rotella T (JASO MA2) to store bikes over Winter. I'm going to run it and see how long it lasts. I don't expect it will last long at all. It's 15w40, fookin diesel engine oil. I could be wrong.

Not sure why you think Rotella will not last long?

Diesel oil is a commercial grade oil, some of the highest standard oils available.

Many motorcycle owners have used Rotella in their bikes for years, and swear by it, especially v-twin motorcycle owners.

>>>"Did I mention before how much I love this thing... Just standing in the garage drooling over it..."<<<

Hopefully you can get it out and enjoy it soon...Congratulations on the bike if I forgot to mention that!

OK attempted to re-due the Yoshis last night. The steel wool had me thrown for a loop. Finally figured it out. Wrapped the baffles and then wrapped the pillow packing around it and started the install.

and we have a WTF!

Got about 4-5 inches of a 20" pillow that just wont go no matter what I do... any info? am I doing it wrong?

i know one thing, the pop rivets are coming out of the decal on the other side...

I almost bought a Chicken before the 'Bird found me

Kid had a 2bro's on it... Damn thing sounded like a friggin' helicopter

Gave me instant wood... I still get hard just thinkin' about it :D

Thanks guys, fedex also dropped off the parts from Yoshi today... Started dismanteling the exhuast system... WOW. They sent me some really cool looking pillow style packing but also included steel wool looking stuff? Flat out... I have no clue what that is! The new baffle sleeves are sweet looking! Got diamond holes cut into them instead of circles.

Did I mention before how much I love this thing... Just standing in the garage drooling over it...

Did I miss the pix of it?? :dunno:

Did I miss the pix of it?? :dunno:

Evidentally? They are posted.

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=72922

Got them done last night... Took it out before the monsoon hit. Really not too bad. Still a little loud, but I can live with that knowing the pipes are back together the way they are suppossed to be.

Small bit of hesitation around 3800-4000 rpm's... But other than that, not too bad. Has a throater sound to it now instead of that stupid rasp it had before.

Edited by Beegreenstrings

More Questions.

I have been getting everythign ready to ride. Ordered new well nuts for the new wind screen From "Big3", thanks again! Looks great so far.

I have noticed that the little fender deal under the tail is not there? Is that something that came on the bike or is it a add on?

Also the biggie... Will a Undertail from Hotbodies that fits the RC51 fit the Superhawk?

Also anyone have any ideas about a good chain guard? Either aftermarket or factory?

Not sure why you think Rotella will not last long?

Diesel oil is a commercial grade oil, some of the highest standard oils available.

Many motorcycle owners have used Rotella in their bikes for years, and swear by it, especially v-twin motorcycle owners.

I don't know. That's why I intend to find out. Nothing matters more for a motorcycle oil than the ability to maintain viscosity. And that's directly related to the design and speed of the gear clusters in the transmission that destroy the long chain polymer molecules. It will vary a bit from one type of engine/transmission to the next.

Over 40+ years of changing oil, I've seen some brands and types of oil that didn't work out too well. And some that did. I never know till I try.

More Questions. I have noticed that the little fender deal under the tail is not there? Is that something that came on the bike or is it a add on?

Also the biggie... Will a Undertail from Hotbodies that fits the RC51 fit the Superhawk?

Also anyone have any ideas about a good chain guard? Either aftermarket or factory?

Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
RC51 undertail will not fit. i used an aftermarket cheapie that i found on ebay. i also bought a glass hugger/chainguard combo off a member on superhawkforum.com

found one on sharkskins with ohio motorcycles discount it is around 130.00, think I will go with this one. need to get it pretty quick, before painter does the lower cowl.