dog owners - need advice

Steve Butters

I underestimated the condition that my dog was in. Granted she was only five, but she had developed a kidney disease. Poor girl died alone in her crate (couldn't sleep in the bed with us any more because of uncontrollable incontinence). To this day, I wish that I had been with her at that moment when she needed me.... i.e... at the vet's office. It's a tough call and no matter which one you make, you may always second-guess it.

Sorry to hear man. My first dog lived from when I was 2-19 years old. We put her down at 17 and it was stupid hard for me to handle, but a new dog and time helped. We waited way too long because she was very bad by the time the day came. She actually wondered off to die the morning we had vet come out to put her down to stop the suffering. She barely could move and was bleeding out of some places while flies were feeding off of her. The sight fucked me up because she was looking at me breathing hard with tongue hanging out. I guess I'm saying if it's bad, don't wait too long because the suffering gets worse fast.

The end comes when an animal can no longer control urination and defecation. Making messes all over the place. By that time appetite and activity is nearly non-existent. Some will do things like walk into a room or corner and get stuck, not able to figure out how to back up and turn around. The animal will signal it's desire to end it, by basically lying down and refusing to move. There is a dullness to the spirit, and an unwillingness to respond to the owner or other animals. Then it's time, beyond a doubt.

And yes, even before that time, a healthy animal will often have become blind from cataracts, and deaf and unable to hear. The pain of old age is something all animals put up with. There is a desire to live. But at some point, we all lie down and refuse to get up. It's part of life. Celebrate the life, and not the death.

• Upvote 2

Incredible stories here and this is always a sore subject for me. In the end only you know what is best for your pet and it will be a tough decision either way. I just lost my Giant Scnauzer back in Jan and I could not think straight for a week. He wasn't even 8 years old yet and I think he had a heart attack. He had just had a check up back in Nov and the vet gave him a thumbs up. I just got his grave marker last Wed and placed it.

DSC00246-1.jpg

Three weeks later my wife brings me home another. It was way to soon for me at the time but I have grown to love my new Giant and he go's with me every where including the office. I still miss Duke terribly but time is the only thing that will heal that.

DSC00229.jpg

honestly man. I have four and they are my life. I love my dogs very much and I have pitty on the poor shit that tries to do them harm.

Now, two ways to look at things. 16years of your life times (x) 7 in dogs years, your dog is 112 years old.

It is hard to make these decisions, especially when she is still jumping and romping around with you and playing and seeming as if she is having fun. Then is in pain afterwards? That pups only thing is to please her master. It's been that way for 16 years. I have seen dogs do amazing things. My friend is a trainer and I see some of the things and hear first hand accounts of some of the feats dog perform.

Here is my take. No doubt, your dog is old. You have had her, her entire life. You know that dog better than your vet does. You should be able to see the pain if it is there. If your dog is blind and deaf, she is blind and deaf. Not in pain. Now if she is in pain, you of all people should be able to tell this and, as I hate to say it, need to be the one to make the decision at that point. Dont let love of the romping little bundle cloud your insight.

Good luck either way. Its not a easy decision.

i'm sorry to hear about your dog. just reading some of these posts is almost too much.

I would rather off myself instead of having to make the decision to put down my Gatsby. But, as always, you will know in your heart what is best for your pup in the end. Please know our little biker community is with you when you say that last good bye.

The end comes when an animal can no longer control urination and defecation. Making messes all over the place. By that time appetite and activity is nearly non-existent. Some will do things like walk into a room or corner and get stuck, not able to figure out how to back up and turn around. The animal will signal it's desire to end it, by basically lying down and refusing to move. There is a dullness to the spirit, and an unwillingness to respond to the owner or other animals. Then it's time, beyond a doubt.

And yes, even before that time, a healthy animal will often have become blind from cataracts, and deaf and unable to hear. The pain of old age is something all animals put up with. There is a desire to live. But at some point, we all lie down and refuse to get up. It's part of life. Celebrate the life, and not the death.

This, but maybe a few days off of work just spending time with her are in order

I am very sorry to hear of this i just lost my best friend last year... The only advise i can strongly give is if you decide to put her down be there with her when she goes, do not let her go away alone!!

ok the blood work came back today and everything looked good....they said theres a couple meds she can take to prevent her heart from getting bigger and to take the edge off of her arthritis

the vet said she has no diabetes or anything and nothing wrong with her bones and hips like the vet thought when she looked at her originally.

the vet says the med will take care of the arthritis pains and that we should try the meds for a few weeks and see how she reacts and go from there - but that they think for the time being she is fine

as for what others are saying... i have never seen her indicate that she is in any pain, she never wimpers or limps or groans or anything, she has never indicated that she was in any pain...the vet just said she thinks she was because my dog has really weak hips...after the xray and the bloodwork came back showing that her bones are alright besides a little arthritis, the vet didnt seem concerned anymore and suggested a few mild meds to keep her joints from aching... i got home from work today and she was playing with me and running around and licking me and stuff for like 20 minutes - then she went and laid down on her bed and is napping right now.....i think her discomfort could be arthritis and thats why she is restless sometimes

overall the vet said she is in good health and just needs a couple meds to keep things going well for her

im not going to have her put down just yet - im going to see how she reacts to the meds and go from there....

This is great news man. I'm glad things are looking a little better for you and hope this works out for awhile.

Not to rain on your parade but I suggest you really spend time with her now since you have considered putting her down. You're perspective and realization of some things that will/could be down the road should help you to have a better relationship with your buddy.

Good to hear. Be careful to not over exert her in activities. Especially this Summer when it's hot.

+1

glad the good news came. also, if the arthritis meds is RYmdal, use it sparingly. it is harsh on the liver.

I'm not reading through all this so I don't know if you've made your decision or not. Two years ago I had a 16 year old cat that had an oral cancer. He was my baby. I decided against any chemo or radiation as that would decrease the quality of his life. I did give him antibiotics and ultram twice daily and he did have another 9 months of good life until he started to lose control of his bladder. Then I knew it was time. You can give your dog the same meds (ultram) or another med that would help with arthritic pain and give him quality of life. You'll know when he's not enjoying his life anymore and then you'll do the right thing b/c you love him. Hope that helped a bit.

• 2 months later...

she got better but now shes getting worse....falling down, had a couple seizures, and her vision is almost all the way gone...she has good days now and then but she has some real bad days too...

last night she was outside and came up to the deck but couldnt find the stairs....my mom went out to get her and was clapping and talking loudly and she didnt hear her...my mom got right up to her and she finally heard the clapping but tried to go forward and walked straight into the deck, so my mom picked her up and she must have scared her because my dog started yelping....

she has trouble getting in and out of the door, up and down the deck steps, etc....shes just getting old...

my mom is going to take her in june 3rd since she has a half day off and have her put down....

im not sure if i want to go or not....

I went through this several years ago with my dog. In the end there was no doubt that I wanted to be their. My vet let me hold him throughout the entire procedure. While it was one of the most difficult moments of my life I couldn't image not being their with him. I had him cremated and he is on my my fireplace mantle.

This is why having pets is so hard. Id say just let him relax and let him decide... Sounds weird but i just feel like getting him a comfy bed and cheapest pain pills you can find, dogs just kinda know.. My experience anyway.

I held my dog as she took her last breaths. I wanted to be there and comfort her. I wanted her to be around the family that loved her for so many years. I was the last thing she saw and I know she went peacefully. I still miss her every day but I know she's at peace now.

A couple weeks ago we had to put down our cat that my fiancee had for 18 years. I know cats are not as close to people as dogs but in my opinion I felt she should be held by someone she liked. My fiancee couldn't do it so I stayed with her (the cat) and held her. First they gave her a sedative and she feel asleep in my arms and I held her the rest of the time. She went peacefully and relaxed. It was hard but I just thought that if it were me I'd want someone there with me so I did the same for our cat.

Sorry Tyler its hard but eventually it needs to be done. You give a pet a good life and they live longer than their bodies can withstand. It is needed at times I don't want to live long after I'm in that kind of pain. It's a hard decision to make and I'm sorry that you need to go through with it.