PA non resident concealed carry permit CHANGE

chevysoldier

If you have your Ohio CHL and want to get your PA non resident permit, you had better do it quick.

License to Carry Firearms Applications Via Mail to be Discontinued on March 31, 2011

As the result of requirements of Act 66, 2005, applicants must have their photo and signature captured electronically into our system. At this time there is no manner to complete these requirements without the personal appearance of the applicant.

Therefore we will not be able to process any mailed applications received after March 31, 2011.

If you are going to get it, contact the county to be sure they have not already switched to the new systems. I read that some will discontinue issuing them by mail before the deadline but everyone will be required to do it in person starting 31 March 2011.

EDIT: This is on their site:

http://www.dennynau.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=34

ALL NON RESIDENT APPLICATIONS TO BE PROCESSED VIA MAIL MUST BE RECEIVED IN OUR OFFICE BY MARCH 31, 2011.

WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROCESS MAILED APPLICATIONS OR RENEWALS AFTER MARCH 31, 2011.

So as long as they get it by 31 March, you should be okay.

Edited by chevysoldier
Added info

What is the benefit of having the PA permit?

With a Ohio CHL you cannot carry in PA, only transport it loaded in a motor vehicle (I believe). Also having a PA CHL allows you to carry in some states that your OH CHL won't cover.

Give me a minute and I'll get the reciprocity maps up.

pretty much just get Ohio and Utah and then youre good to go right? that covers most states

Utah will cover a lot. But you have to take the class and it's more expensive. I got a PA because my inlaws live there and it was really simple to get.

pretty much just get Ohio and Utah and then youre good to go right? that covers most states

You have to take a Utah approved course...your Ohio one won't work. So PA is a cheap easy way to get PA and a few more states covered. Another option is Florida, you have to get fingerprinted up here.....hit their website for the forms and it is 100 bucks for the permit. However FL is the same coverage as UT. So a bit more money but easier to get. But not really that much more money since you have to pay for a Utah course anyway.

Thankfully I got my PA permit last year. When this expires in like 5 years, I'll probably get the Utah or Florida permit. Unless things change before then.

This is on their site:

http://www.dennynau.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=34

ALL NON RESIDENT APPLICATIONS TO BE PROCESSED VIA MAIL MUST BE RECEIVED IN OUR OFFICE BY MARCH 31, 2011.

WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROCESS MAILED APPLICATIONS OR RENEWALS AFTER MARCH 31, 2011.

So as long as they get it by 31 March, you should be okay.

Edited by chevysoldier

Looks doubtful that I'll be able to make the cutoff for this, since I'll just be taking the class next weekend. :(

You might be able to make it. If you take your stuff yo Franklin County Sheriff (you can go to your county or any adjacent county) they have like a one day turn around. Licking took two weeks to get mine back for me.

You might be able to make it. If you take your stuff yo Franklin County Sheriff (you can go to your county or any adjacent county) they have like a one day turn around. Licking took two weeks to get mine back for me.

I'm not all that concerned about it, I don't travel much anyway. Although, it would be nice to be prepared for all the bordering states.

I'm not all that concerned about it, I don't travel much anyway. Although, it would be nice to be prepared for all the bordering states.

It's nice to have just in case. Plus since the inlaws live in PA I go up there a bit and you know how I don't like to be unarmed.