Need Keys Made

Chrome

So i picked up another bike to work on but it doesnt have any keys with it. Where can i go to have some made up? Or would it just be easier to get a new ignition? I am making this one into a bobber also so the stock look isnt important to me. The bike is a 1981 Yamaha xj550 I have the vin # if that helps also. Any feedback is appreciated!

So i picked up another bike to work on but it doesnt have any keys with it. Where can i go to have some made up? Or would it just be easier to get a new ignition? I am making this one into a bobber also so the stock look isnt important to me. The bike is a 1981 Yamaha xj550 I have the vin # if that helps also. Any feedback is appreciated!

i dont know where you are located but my buddy went to the yamaha dealer in North Royalton with the vin and proof of ownership and they made him up one for his 82 maxim 750 when he lost his only key

Im in marysville, and i have to get a salvage title for the bike still. I picked it up off of a guy who rented his house out. The tenant up and left one night and left all of his shit there. the bike was part of this and that is how i aquired it. so there is no title right now.

Ok i have a queston to add then... I have a 2004 R6 with only one key but have my title and all that. can anyone local make me a spare key? I asked at Iron Pony and they told me they didn't know. :threadjacked:

To get a key from a yamaha dealer you MUST have the "key code", to get this number you normally need to have the orignal key, because it is stamped on it. You cannot simply used the VIN like many car companys, they just don't keep track of it. It may have been stamped on the ignition switch in the older days, but not anymore. Some dealerships keep track of the key codes for the units that they sell, so if you were the original owner you might be able to call and find it out.

If it was me i'd just get a new ignition switch, or use a universal one. On bobbers i always liked the car switches wit the turn to start, and i helps keep the handle bars clean, assuming you move it under the tank or seat.

Here's my key story for the thread jacker. I wanted another key for my Honda, because I had to cut one to install an aftermarket steering damper and didn't want to trash the originals.

Honda dealer A about 45 minutes away told me to bring in my title and the ignition off the bike, and they would make me a new one on a Honda blank for ~$12. Me and the parts girl sat there for quite some time and wasted all the key blanks they had in stock trying to cut keys with the dealer tool before I realized the tool was too wasted to cut a good key without some trickery. She said she'd order more and I could come back next week and try again.

Honda dealer B about 25 minutes away told me to bring a key and they could make a copy no problem. They have one of those tracer machines like they cut house keys with at Home Depot. $3 and five minutes later I had a working key on an Ilco blank.

I realize dealer B does not help the OP, but if you have a key that works, old school is the way to go.

I can guarantee that a 1981 Maxim has a key code with a letter followed by 5 numbers stamped on the bottom of the ignition assembly. Yamaha did this up until 1990. Get the code, find the guy on e-bay, send him your cash and the code, and voila, you have a working key in less than 7 days.