Start 'em young.

Scruit

Today was Edan's first day getting picked up from school on the motorbike (He is 7). All the kids saw him ride off on the back of my bike... As we headed out the door towards the parking lot I heard 3 "That's COOL!" and at least one "No fair!!".

That's awesome! There are a few other dads in the local baseball & football leagues who ride, so they factor it into their bizarre kid coolness rating scales.

Just don't do anything uber-tard like and drop the bike in the parking lot.

I uh, heard that someone did that once...

lol i remember when i was little and my dad picked me up on the vmax and all my friends kept yelling for him to do a wheelie, so he popped it up (it had a sissy bar on it at the time) and rode one out with me on the back of that heavy ass bike....my friends thought i had the most badass dad ever lol...i was 7 or 8, the bike was brand new at the time

i hate threads like this man.....makes me miss my dad....42 is way too fucking young, and i was only 18 - thats not enough time....oh well i guess, thats life

Edited by Steve Butters

lol i remember when i was little and my dad picked me up on the vmax and all my friends kept yelling for him to do a wheelie, so he popped it up (it had a sissy bar on it at the time) and rode one out with me on the back of that heavy ass bike....my friends thought i had the most badass dad ever lol...i was 7 or 8, the bike was brand new at the time

i hate threads like this man.....makes me miss my dad....42 is way too fucking young, and i was only 18 - thats not enough time....oh well i guess, thats life

Sorry for your loss! For me 42 is next year; couldn't imagine that right now. My wife's dad died when she was 18 or 19, and she still talks about him all the time.

What a great memory, though! I assume that's the same V-Max which you'll be riding til they pry your cold fingers off the grips, no?

Sorry for your loss! For me 42 is next year; couldn't imagine that right now. My wife's dad died when she was 18 or 19, and she still talks about him all the time.

What a great memory, though! I assume that's the same V-Max which you'll be riding til they pry your cold fingers off the grips, no?

i actually sold the max already - it had a lot of good memories, but my dad wasnt a sentimental person and neither am i....he left it to me when he passed, it hadnt been ridden for a couple years because it had some problems...i got it fixed up, rode it for a little bit, and sold it to buy something a little sportier....but i ended up spending the money to pay off my bills and im saving for something a little nicer

i cant wait for the day i have my own kid and am able to get them on the bike and give them the same excitement and joy that you guys are experiencing with your kids though....although, i dont want a kid for atleast 4-5 more years

I know he's only 7 now, but the longer I can spend good quality time together doing something we both love, the better I think our relationship will be. I'm trying to set the groundwork for his teen years...

• Upvote 1

He has his eyes on a little 2-stroke 50cc dirt bike. He has to learn to ride a bicycle first! He's never shown an interest in riding a bicycle, so trying teach him didn't work.

So maybe explaining to him that riding a bicycle is a prerequisite to riding a dirt bike, then maybe he'd be more motivated to learn...

• Upvote 1

Having recently lost my dad, and having alot of issues between the two of us, I must say i commend you for getting him interested in motorcycling and making it a family event! My father was only 50, and we were good when I was younger but as the years went on, we drifted. Big rep for you sir!

dirt bike is easier than a bicycle to learn to ride...you dont fight as many balance issues because youre moving faster, kinda like when parents give their kids a push lol....get him a 50cc and some training wheels for it and let him have at it!

Id get him on a bicycle first. Just so he understands putting his feet down, and using the brakes and basic motor skills. The last thing we need is a lil guy haulin through the yard and not understanding the concept of brakes as he is heading towards dads new suburban.:D

I too have great memories of riding on the back of my dads 74 Yamaha DT360 Enduro and later, his brand new 82 Nighthawk 650. We used to ride it to football practice and always took the long way home.

When I was 18, we bought an 84 Shadow 1100 and took turns riding it and always hung out in the garage working on it. About 12 years later, I got another street bike, which prompted him to buy another street bike and we spent many days riding together. I dont think we would have spent nearly as much time together in the last few years of his life if it weren't for motorcycles.

Now, My daughter and I have been riding together since she was 8. Shes 13 now.

this thread makes me sad, i was the only one in the entire family who had interest in bikes. They all had their passion with muscle cars, and showed their dislike of bikes. I am sadly the ONLY person in my entire family that i know of that has a bike. Guess thats how i got the nickname of lone wolf, i always rode alone for the first 3 1/2 years of riding.

this thread makes me sad, i was the only one in the entire family who had interest in bikes. They all had their passion with muscle cars, and showed their dislike of bikes. I am sadly the ONLY person in my entire family that i know of that has a bike. Guess thats how i got the nickname of lone wolf, i always rode alone for the first 3 1/2 years of riding.

I agree man. My family has never made too much of a deal about it but they don't care for it. My mom has just come around in the last year, and asked me to take her for a few rides. My ol man( whom hasn't even been gone a month at this point) was terrified of them. I was working on my CBR one night in his garage and I needed him to hold it up one night, and he was so scared just to hold it up for me, he almost couldn't do it.

Some of my family is afraid of them, but some like my close family just say that they are not afraid its just they are to dangerous.

My family is the same way, the only other person in the family who has a bike is my uncle and he laid it down cuz someone threw a bag of garbage out the window and he swerved to miss it, so that did not really help my case :/

The last thing we need is a lil guy haulin through the yard and not understanding the concept of brakes as he is heading towards dads new suburban.:D

thats what they make remote kill switches for.