Budget: First Build Questions

Jst2fst

Well looks like I want a new gun nothing wrong with the Hi-Point. I'm looking to do a build on a rifle on a budget. I'm planning on doing this this summer when I'll have some free time. I'm looking to spend $400-$500 max. The calibers are what ever works for the price but really don't want a .22 cal. Looking for a decent setup including scope. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what parts to use and or where I can get them. I know plenty of you guys have done this and continue to.

Thanks

can an AR be built for $500?

That's why I'm asking if I need to add more funds I can do that now instead of later when build time comes if everything works out. Its either a build or just buy a carbine

OK someone paid me to build one for them before and they wanted me to make it as cheap as possible. We can talk here in a bit and I can see what I can come up with. Truthfully if you could come up with a bolt carrier and handle I could probably pull this off.

I am not counting shipping

Spikes lower - 99

DSA M4 style upper - 275

parts LPK - 59

Stock and buffer - 39 (standard A2)

Collapsible - 59-79

All and all you would be close. Will it end up being a 1000 rifle? No. Will it be a safe functional AR, Yes. Will it cause you any issues, no. Not in the grand scheme of things.

God I hate to say this. You can order a Varient of a M4 from Delton in a complete kit for 465-485, add a lower and you are Golden. you can find cheaper lowers on the market but personally I would go with the Spikes.

Ultimately you would be more toward the 650 mark with shipping and everything else.

A lot of shops will charge you to do your transfer for the lower, Let me know if you decide to get one and I can direct you to my shop to get one, where they do no such thing. save you at least 20.00

Looks like I'm gonna get the M-14 kit and try and find a lower for it using .223 cal should work with my budget. Knowing me I'll change my mind a hand full of times before it's done.

Looks like I'm gonna get the M-14 kit and try and find a lower for it using .223 cal should work with my budget. Knowing me I'll change my mind a hand full of times before it's done.

Honestly, thats a good way to go for your first AR. Especially if its going to be a plinker/zombie gun. Detailed instructions for assembly of the lower can be found in the Build It Yourself section of AR15.com. All you'll need is a set of brass punches and some patience. I'd also recommend ordering a spare front take down pin spring and detent, just in case.