Intro and a question

bobtheelder

Hey all, I'm a newer rider up in the Powell, Ohio area (N side of Columbus) and I've got a question for everyone. How does having a salvage title affect a bikes value once it's been fixed? I'm currently working on one project bike as a keeper, but now have the opportunity to pick up another one... any thoughts would be welcome...

It's a cruiser. Rebuilt and looks better than new with a better than average paint job. I'm happy with the one I'm rebuilding because I couldn't afford the bike if I had to pay retail for it, but on the one I've come up with now, I'm just wondering if I could fix it and sell it for a profit...

It's a cruiser. Rebuilt and looks better than new with a better than average paint job. I'm happy with the one I'm rebuilding because I couldn't afford the bike if I had to pay retail for it, but on the one I've come up with now, I'm just wondering if I could fix it and sell it for a profit...

:welcomeor:

Salvage title bikes definitely aren't worth nearly as much as a clean title. But if you get a good deal and everything was fixed correctly, why not?

I would never buy a salvaged bike...

^ This attitude is why it's hard to sell a salvaged bike and usually not an easy way to make money.

Whether there's cause for concern, or the bike was salvaged based on cosmetic damage alone, people assume the worst.

Personally, I would consider a salvaged bike, but I would expect the price to be ~25% lower than a comparable bike with a clear title.

As it pertains to track bikes, I'm more open to exploring why the bike was salvaged. If there was fork or frame damage, I'm out. If it was paint and fairings, I couldn't care less...

I'd be more receptive to buying a salvaged cruiser though. I really don't mean to beat up on that crowd, but it's not like they need to handle great to begin with, and they're never going to surpass 100mph. Hell, tweaking the forks in a head-on collision might make a cruiser turn-in BETTER.

Biggest concern with salvage bikes is how bad was it damaged to begin with. If it's a bike that hit a car/curb/wall and the forks were bent, then the frame was probably also damaged and to me, that's a No-no.

If it was flopped around on it's side(s) and the damage was mostly cosmetic, I have no problem buying it (if properly repaired)

You may want to document the repair process, showing pictures of before/during/after along with receipts for any parts (new or used) and materials that you purchased. It might also help the sale if you put some seat time on it; knowing that the bike is performing OK would make it easier to sell than saying "There it is, I fixed it".

Lots of variables there....

I thought after a salvaged bike was repaired, it could be inspected and deemed clean again? Maybe I'm wrong, but sure I've heard something along those lines......then again, maybe I was high? :):):)

I'd buy a salvage titled bike if it were to be a track weapon - but I'm partial to sport not cruisin' just yet.

Salvage bikes are normally cheaper to buy though - and may be cheaper to insure as well?

I thought after a salvaged bike was repaired, it could be inspected and deemed clean again? Maybe I'm wrong, but sure I've heard something along those lines......then again, maybe I was high? :):):)

I'd buy a salvage titled bike if it were to be a track weapon - but I'm partial to sport not cruisin' just yet.

Salvage bikes are normally cheaper to buy though - and may be cheaper to insure as well?

Once its salvage then fixed its labeled as "rebuilt" on the title.

You cannot go back to an original title once its deemed salvage.

I appreciate the feedback. Having grown up around my dads garage and body shop there isn't much I would consider un-salvageable, but until recently I hadn't ever rebuilt a bike, just cars. I'm astonished at how little damage can "total" a bike.

Yeah thats the thing...a simple tip over in a parking lot or a 25mph lowside could potentially "total" some bikes if enough cosmetic damage was done. I wouldn't be scared of a salvage bike as long as the hard parts are good.