My first gun

vw151

OK, well I guess it was bound to happen eventually. I went and got my CCW the other day and shot some hand guns for the very first time.

I shot a Glock 34 9mm, a S&W Tactical .45, A little tiny Diamondback 380, and another smaller .45, and a Sig 9mm. Can't remember the model

Either way. I like the glock, the Sig and the S&W. They were all full sized semi-auto hand guns and fit nicely in my hand and were relatively easy to shoot. I'd say the glock was the easiest.

So, now I'm learning about guns. One of my favorite things is learning new stuff. I knew nothing about guns. Now I know something but not much. For my first gun I'd like to get a full sized semi-auto pistol. Leaning towards a .45 but a 9mm is more economical. For some reason the model 1911 strikes me as a nice reliable first gun but I'm really just looking for opinions of which I'm sure I'll find a ton on this board.

So.... what do you have? Why? What do you recommend? Why? Feel free to talk about guns other than semi-auto pistols as well. Conceal guns, shot guns, rifles, revolvers. Let me know what you think.

And....... GO!

I'd stay with a 9mm or .380 easier to carry. I know gonna get flack for this again but I carry my hi-point it's a 9mm and I like it and ammo for it is cheap. Gonna upgrade here sometime but I'm not really a gun expert. Once more people log on they will be more than happy to assist you in finding your first gun.

I personally prefer a .40 cal. S&W is the current carry. More affect than the 9's but better accuracy than the .45. Still easy to conceal, good mag capacity, ammo is fair priced. Hell like Jus2fst said, you'll get enough info to make your own decision pretty soon. My decision was based on: I figured i'd go with the middle option since I felt comfortable with em already.

Opinions are abundant here. Tricky thing is figuring out who to listen too lol.

My first handgun was a smith & wesson sigma 40. I loved that gun until I started shooting other folks guns. Gen I realized it was a bad glock knock off. The bogged trick is finding a gun that fits the most requirements or needs you have. If you plan on carrying it a lot then a full size might not be as comfortable esp if you want to wear shorts and tee shirts in the summer. If you an on it being a gun you are going to take and shoot quite a bit like you already said a 9mm will be a little easier on your wallet. Is it strictly going to be a carry gun and you plan on buying other guns for fun?

I still have my 40 cal plus I have a Ruger lcp that I carry on a daily basis. And I literally mean daily, if I leave my house its in my pocket since its smaller than my cell phone. I also have a .22 pistol for going to the range and not shooting myself into povert every time I pull the trigger. Then I have various shotguns and rifles and a csrgine too but that is another conversation.

Again my advice is find what fits you best, not just in your hand, also in he whole scheme of what you want out of a gun. Its like buying a new motorcycle, different aspects of riding require different bikes.

I have had a few carry guns. Some were sold off and the one that still is here is my springfield xd sub compact. It fits my hand the best, i shoot well with it and it is not to bad to carry and not get noticed. I have also had a pt 145 as a carry gun ammo got way to expensive and it was heavy to carry it sat in the safe alot and not on my hip so it was sold. I also had a s&w bodyguard .38 revolver for awhile. Being left handed I didnt care for the wheel gun much it was very easy to conceal and very simple to use(pull trigger go bang) but the fact it was such a pain to shoot left handed it was sold also and replaced with a taurus 738 .380 pocket gun. I like this one so far it is small and easy to drop in a pocket. for a pocket gun it is accurate and the stainless slide is nice also. Shoot a few more guns and see what you like opinions are like assholes there are plenty of both here LOL!

Edited by speedytriple

There are quite a few "what gun is the best" threads on here. Browse the firearms section and you should find some good info.

And I was just saying the other day about how we need another "What's your opinion on guns" thread :eek:

I wish I had a better opinion, but I can only opine on what the best oil, tires, motorcycles, and women are...

Ok I will sum up every other thread in this post. chebby likes m&p so does jrmmii, I like xd so does midget todd and lots of others. and some of the fools on here insist glock is the best but there not worth mentioning. And max and a few of the old guys think wheel guns are the only way to carry. That sound about right guys? LOL!

• Upvote 3

Ok I will sum up every other thread in this post. chebby likes m&p so does jrmmii, I like xd so does midget todd and lots of others. and some of the fools on here insist glock is the best but there not worth mentioning. And max and a few of the old guys think wheel guns are the only way to carry. That sound about right guys? LOL!

I think you nailed it. :lol:

or even easier xd>m&p>wheelgun>dogpoop>glock...

Wow your on it today.....

actually I believe the reoccurring theme from the previous "what's your favorite gun and why" threads is:

Go try a bunch of them, rent them from ranges, or borrow friends. But try them. Figure out what purpose the gun is going to serve (home defense, everyday carry, plinker, ect). Hold as many as you can, if it doesn't feel good in YOUR hand its probably not the one you want, if it's uncomfortable to carry, trust me on this, you will not carry it. Once you have found a group of them that feel good in your hand, shoot them, then find some holsters and try them in the store before you buy them. All of it is a personal preference. Glocks, S&W, SIG, Springfield, H&K ect are all about the same, you will find the people that swear by them and the ones that swear at them. In the end its what you like and are comfortable with. Now if you questions about a particular gun or brand, ask. Most everyone on the board has no problem throwing in their 2 cents....

Yeah im kinda cranky today the wife left me to watch the boys after I just got out of work at 8 am. And to boot she banned them from ps3 for bad behavior this week so I cant even play black ops to help keep me awake.

back on topic meanie is right. And remember there is never one perfect gun for everything thats why we all have several of them..

I wish I would have looked at this before I bought my .380, the link shows the effectiveness of different rounds. Check out the ballistics of bullets before you shoot anything, decide on a round you're comfortable with, then get a nice gun to shoot it...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/849728/posts

Go shoot the XDM9 in the 3.8inch sub compact configuration. You can carry either 13 or 19 round mags.

13 is great size for cc. 19 is great for range days or when hunting someone down.

Pretty much, except for this: carry the smallest gun you are comfortable shooting so that you will carry every where, every day. A full frame brick of a hand cannon does you no good in the console of your car.

Think about it this way, small CCW guns make your dick look bigger, but carrying a full frame will just make you think you have a bigger dick.

Go shoot the XDM9 in the 3.8inch sub compact configuration. You can carry either 13 or 19 round mags.

13 is great size for cc. 19 is great for range days or when hunting someone down.

I'm going to pick up the XDm9 subcomp when I get the money. I shot a bunch of guns like you did to see what my first would be. Just make sure it feels right in your hand. The guys over at blackwing where great and where very involved in how I handle the gun and which I looked most comfortable with. The 19 mag is nice bc it has a handle extension which when shooting for sport it feels must better and you can get your whole hand on it.