starter drag bike

rawlins87

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as bike selection or websites to check out for drag bikes.

My original idea was to build a nitrous busa (which is still a possibility but insurance is stupid high for me). I know the old school.bikes are kz1000's (correct?).

Basically I'm wanting to.build a moderately prices drag bike. (I'm a welder fabricator so I have no problems making my own parts if need be.)

Something faster than newer 600/750s.

Stretched, and will see nitrous.

Bike will see street use so no full out drag bikes.

A good bike to ride to trails then have fun and possibly bracket race.

Thanks in advance.

honestly, for what youre describing, a busa sounds like your best bet..... if you get into older bikes like the kzs and stuff - you have to chop them to shit to make them fast and then they kind of become "drag only"

i saw a full blown drag bike at trails that ran like 8.40s...it was an old kz or something like that.... had to fill it up after every pass, not streetable at all, lift off body, etc etc etc.....but a stretched bmw with bolt ons and tune runs that same time and still gets 40-50mpg....you just cant beat new technology

a new 1k or a new busa will be your best bet - with favor on the busa obviously because it already has a head start

that being said - if i went out tomorrow to build a drag bike, it would be an R1

For what you wanna do, here's what I'd suggest for a minimal competitive street/strip setup.

1) Get a Hayabusa (because the AM is HUGE, so you can just buy-n-bolt parts)

2) Get swingarm extensions, a new stretched swingarm, or bolt-on wheelie bars

3) Get air shifter

4) Get two-step (RPM launch controller)

5) Practice, Practice, Practice

Go racing.

i am sure other people that actually race can add more detail, but an air shifter will allow you to shift gears with out using your foot. There is a air cylinder connected to the shifter lever.

Another way with the quick shifter, just shift the gears with your foot. There is a sensor that detects you are shifting a does something to control engine power to allow a wide open throttle shift

The power commander/bazazz quick shift is an ignition interrupt, which you'll need for an air shifter too, but all they do is allow you to keep on the throttle while you upshift.

An air shifter kit (they make electric ones too, but that's beside the point) has a pneumatic piston that uses compressed air and a solenoid to physically move the shift lever as well as interrupt the ignition.

So, air piston + compressed air + solenoid + electric interrupt = fast, full throttle shifting. The PC/Bazazz is only the last part of that equation (and why it's relatively cheap compared to an $800 air shifter kit)

For what you wanna do, here's what I'd suggest for a minimal competitive street/strip setup.

1) Get a Hayabusa (because the AM is HUGE, so you can just buy-n-bolt parts)

2) Get swingarm extensions, a new stretched swingarm, or bolt-on wheelie bars

3) Get air shifter

4) Get two-step (RPM launch controller)

5) Practice, Practice, Practice

Go racing.

That's what's great for the newer bikes (after market availability)

I agree swing arm or extensions is a must.

no air shifter though.

My goal for the bike would be high 9's. This is a long term goal. At least into the mid 10s by summer (which shouldn't be that difficult)

If you really want something different... get an S1000RR. That's the only liter-bike I'd consider for the strip just because the engine is that good.

But it'll get $$$$ real quick, plus AM parts are going to be a b*tch. And, how much punishment that engine can take is left to be seen, esp. if you throw funny juice or a turbo on it.

someone posted a new zx10 video and it was almost competing with the bmw at the strip...but weak ass clutch - fried it in a few passes

I think that was I. Yeah, a high-performance clutch set-up removes those worries though. If you're small in height...I'd go ZX10 and slam it. Get a tiger tail to add more clearance between tire/tail as well. www.brocksperformance.com is a great site to check out as well, http://www.1st-to-the-finish-line.com/ and schnitz racing. Some bikes like my 14 require a low profile oil pan for safe lowering. I'd personally slam it first in the rear and 1" low in front without a swingarm to start. Get the longer arm later.

Edited by NinjaNick

i doubt hes wanting to go drop 15-20k on a brand new bike if insurance cost was an issue for him....and if he was, the s1000rr > zx10r

I just gave him general information about getting a new clutch on the new zx10. I didn't say buy NEW zx10. Provided links as well for him to check out. Just posting to HIM some information since HE created this thread. Is that OK, forum police?:nono::lol: Man, you play the parent role in lots of threads so you have become the thread/posts police in my book. :p

Some things to consider... How tall you are and how much you weigh. If you're a big fellow you'd be better served with a Busa or a ZX-14. If you're looking for low dollar I'd be looking around for an older GSXR 1100, or even a ZX-11. Great bikes to race and are reasonably priced. Not to say you cannot find a Busa or ZX14 cheap if you're patient and want the newer style bike.

Also, if it's not going to be you're front line bike you can go a little more radical than you think. If you get hooked, radical will be not so far off in the future :) An airshifter can make dragracing quit a bit easier, and have minimal if zero negative effects on streetability. The first launch at the track will be a shocker when you go to try and bring your feet up to the pegs. That first to second gear shift is a bitch. Suspension lowering and gearing are all musts and are the best starting points for start up racers.

1Ks... I have some exerience here. First off, I made a mistake ... of sorts. I loved the way the older GSXR 1Ks fit me, they were bigger than the 05+ 1ks. It wasnt until my fist time trying to get behind the windshield that I realized just how much smaller my 06 was that the 02s I had liked so much. Much smaller... but the plus was they were quite a bit faster. I've been running my 06 1k since break in and struggled with its size and short wheelbase initially. I'm also 220 lbs in street clothes so I had some trouble getting ahold of the bike launching, getting my feet up and getting behind the cover of the plastic. Over time it all got better with specific mods and patience. Most all of the 1ks are potent packages and with some and seat time have been regularly underestimated buy the Busa/ZX14 crowd. Not to knock those bikes... I am a believer in the "no replacement for displacement" rule, but am also aware of the terms "Power and weight ratio".. The 1Ks will regularly beat the snot outta a similarly stock Busa or ZX14 in the 1/4 mile. If properly set up and w/ seat time you can go in the 9s no problem .. and beyond. Just pull up Youtube and watch all the Super Sport racing before the AMA series folded. Now that said.... those guys were at the top of their game and the bikes were cutting edge, but they were going 8.90s on a regular basis. Mostly stock 1ks, with minimal engine work.

Ether way you go, Good luck! It's my favorite thing to do on two wheels and I'll look forward to motoring your Busa on my mostly stock 1k on a regular basis at Trails :)

Edited by Exit Wounds