home electrician question

Hoblick

i want to run 220 to my garage.

right now i only have one line running out there.

i want to run a dedicated 220 to my detached garage to put a stove in there for curing powder coating.

the most i have delt with wiring and electrics is extending existing outlest in the wall to another location.

so i have no idea where to even start.

my lines now that go to the garage are over head, so thats the same route im gonna take with the 220.

where do i start?

Stove is heavy amp draw, so size your wiring first for the distance and the load.

Buy wire, junction box, transfer boxes if needed, conduit if required, etc. All per code.

Install per code and have it all inspected before connecting it up to the circuit breaker box.

Let somebody else finish it off at the circuit breaker box. High voltage/amps isn't fun to play with.

Most I've ever done was run a temp line from basement utility to garage for a 220 compressor.

Basically a 50ft 220 extension cord...

http://www.wireityourself.com/220_volt.html

http://www.220outlet.com/

edit: I assume you might be burying the line from the house to the garage. That's a specific type of wire in sealed conduit.

That will be different from the rest of it. Terminating at the exterior walls on both ends. IDK about 220 overhead, I don't remember anyone doing that.

Edited by ReconRat

What you have is not a high voltage deal, just basically running a 220 v circuit. For not much more money you can just run a 220v line our to a small sub panel in the garage and not only feed your proposed oven outlet, but have the ability to safely add other recepts or lights in the future. If possible running it underground is best, and utilizing pipe underground makes it even better. Depending on your situation,location and layout its not areal difficult if you know what you're doing.

Construct everything from the house out to the garage including everything inside the garage before terminating anything inside the house to your power source.

Piece of cake

Recent ohio code says stoves have to be run on 6-3 wire (6 gauge, 3 conductor) with a dual 60 amp breaker. Older stoves used to run 6-2 which you still see, only they don't have an extra ground. Dosen't sound like a big difference until you price it out :). Plug into the box and run the black and red conductor wires to the breaker (it dosen't matter which one) and the white and ground (bare wire) to the grounding terminal in the box (all the other white and bare wires run to this, just screw it down). You should also get a 4 wire outlet to wire the other end to. You can still find the 3 wire stoves out there, but like I said with the absence of the extra ground if you're house was ever to catch fire due to it (odds are incredibly small) the insurance company might not cover it with the 6-2.