Help my visor not fog

lightbulb

Only Shoei helmets fit me worth a damn. If I knew that I'd have to wear Shoei helmets to be comfortable, my first bike might have been out of budget.

My previous helmet, a Scorpion EXO700 with the stock visor and dark smoke visor didn't fog. Ever. Loved it.

The stock clear and Shoei light smoke visor with my new setup fogs terribly. Breathing heavy on a cold Ohio May morning causes fogging. I applied Cat Crap anti-fog, and it doesn't help much. It's harder to fog the visor, but when it does fog, it takes longer for the fog to go away. This sucks - I want something better. The dumb pin-lock system is a hack, I want something that performs equal to or better than the Scorpion visors that I'm coming from.

Anti-fog suggestions?

wow. i'm glad to have just read a post raising scorpion up to shoei. i have two scorpion lids myself. i like the antifog, but hate how fricking easy it is to scratch.

i've read a couple ideas, none of which i have tested lol. one, being a little plain dish soap. the other being spit. i might suggest chewing some gum before hacking a loogey on the piece that is going to be inside the same air bubble as your nose, though.

I used scott anti fog wipes in the past and it worked fine. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/19/261/7219/ITEM/Scott-No-Fog-Cloth.aspx

it's not the helmet's fault, it's the plastic of the visor. the breath deflector helps too.

a old trick of diver's is to spit on the lenses. never tired it but I did with my swim goggles and it does work on them.

and I love the way the shoei helmet visor locks in. it's by far the best and easiest helmet to change a visor on.

open the visor all the way and pull the tab down. and all you have to do to put it on is push it into place.

if that's too hard for you...there's no helping you lol

Edited by serpentracer

I myself never use my mouth. Mouth breathers gross me out. I actually have a head that fills the helmet and my face is in the front of it. I've seen the little heads that leave an inch of space from their front of helmet, I can see how they don't have an issue.

About the best thing you can do is get some clear safety glasses and wear them in colder weather. When your visor fogs, you can just open it up to quickly clear it.

I always open mine at stoplights and then close it once I'm moving.

I always just crack my lid to let a little air in, and this is the awesome part, I use my mouth to breath straight down over my chin (and out of my helmet) like I'm breathing through a straw. Hardly ever have fog problems! :) ... and nobody sees me looking silly because i have a helmet over my face.

• Upvote 1

Rainx makes an anti fog that works really good on bathroom mirrors I used it on my wifes old helmet and she said it helped a lot

Will try that.

I always just crack my lid to let a little air in, and this is the awesome part, I use my mouth to breath straight down over my chin (and out of my helmet) like I'm breathing through a straw. Hardly ever have fog problems! :) ... and nobody sees me looking silly because i have a helmet over my face.

I gave you rep with a reason.

• Upvote 1

if it yellows a visor chances are the helmet needs replaced anyway or at least the visor. visors are cheap compared to helmets. and if it helps with fogging im fine with it. i normally ride with my visor open so no fogging worries here.

Bar soap rub a little on then buff it off. Or non whitening toothpaste. I have used both as I put off heat like a furnace. Spit works a little bit but not as good as the soap or paste does. Use very little of either. I draw three lines across the visor with the soap(top middle bottom) then buff it in.

HAHAHA! I thought that I was the only one who did this!!!

Last year's cat crap thread on fogging...

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=67726

My answer last year...

Only thing I've ever seen that worked on my ski masks was a rather hard pink wax stick that was scribbled on and buffed out. No clue where to find it, other than ski shops. But RayZor sells something similar in England. Cat crap also appears to be similar.

Scuba divers use "Sea Gold", which I'm willing to try. Meant for plastic.

Rain-X also has anti fog products, and one is easy to use wipes. But meant for glass. Also something I'm willing to try, it's cheaper and probably easier to find.

I fog up every morning...

And I still want to try Sea Gold, it's supposedly the best there is.

I used to do that, but now I have that chin protector part on and it doesn't let me do that. Now my helmet fogs badly. :(

Hjc pinlock system.. Can be used on any helmet... Friggin sweet!

99% sure HJC doesn't make Pinlock. HJC was the first company to support Pinlock in the USA, but that's about it. All of the major helmet manufacturers offer lenses with Pinlocks already installed, and they're just a few bucks more than a regular shield. I've been debating getting this for my Shoei.

I like the Pinlock visor on my RF-1100. It's very good at preventing fog. I wish they either made a darker Pinlock insert or else had a dark shield that could accept the Pinlock insert instead of only clear. That said, it is still the best thing I have found.

• Upvote 1

I had a fog city insert for all of last riding season. Worked perfectly. when i went to clean it this year i forgot that it scratches EASILY and ruined it. pealed it off and now I am back to foggin up bad. I want to pick up a new helmet and what ever i decide on getting, it will have the pinlock system. Same principal as the fog city, just easier to replace.