Rider missing found dead in Hocking

Casper

http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/article/20110512/NEWS01/110512006/Lancaster-man-killed-Hocking-County-motorcycle-crash?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

That sucks.

Virden was wearing a helmet and full leather gear, including gloves and riding boots. He was riding a 2010 BMW RR S1000 Sport.

All bike deaths are tragic, but the ATGATT deaths are very sobering to me.

RIP rider.

yeah, it's probably just me trying to rationalize that "it won't happen to me," but I always look for a way I'm different from the rider involved.

It could have been a million things that happened, but the guy's age, and the model of bike jumped out at me a bit.

All bike deaths are tragic, but the ATGATT deaths are very sobering to me.

RIP rider.

+1 A good reason to have a Spot locater, although it prolly wouldn't have save his life, or maybe it could have.

Spot locator? Good idea . MobileMe could work. I should give the login password to a trusted friend or family member if I'd ever come up missing they could find me.

Edited by Gump

If nobody noticed the latest, this is still a mystery. Thoughts are that maybe a deer or a car caused this to happen. It wasn't high speed. He wasn't injured. His full coverage helmet scooped up mud going down the embankment, and he suffocated. He was able to get his gloves off, and that was it.

http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/article/20110514/NEWS01/105140302

If nobody noticed the latest, this is still a mystery. Thoughts are that maybe a deer or a car caused this to happen. It wasn't high speed. He wasn't injured. His full coverage helmet scooped up mud going down the embankment, and he suffocated. He was able to get his gloves off, and that was it.

http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/article/20110514/NEWS01/105140302

he couldnt flip up the shield or undo the straps? that seems like BS to me....there had to be something else that happened

**edit after reading the link, nobody credible is blaming his death on mud....just his brother speculating what he thought happened.....i just dont see it....it takes 2 second to flip up a face shield, and he obviously had time since he took his gloves off....he had to of had an internal injury or something

Edited by Steve Butters

The autopsy will show if the mud theory is true. If he had the time/dexterity to remove his gloves then he can easily use his fingers to scoop mud away from his mouth by reaching up under the chin bar. I have to believe that if he aspirated on mud then that's because he fell unconscious for another reason.

HOWEVER...

I just returned a HJC Sy-MAX 2 flip-face helmet today because the latch broke and the chin guard wouldn't flip up. This type of helmet CAN be removed with the chin bar locked, but some cannot. After this experience I will never wear a flip-face that cannot be removed if the chin bar locks down.