Rider missing found dead in Hocking

Casper

The other thought was that he strangled. Like the mud pushed the helmet strap against his neck or something. Yes, a coroner will know. But helmet, gloves, body, eyes and face full of mud after sliding... I don't know... If it was able to force mud into mouth and nose, it would cause suffocation quicker than anything could be done about it.

Just being upside down is more disorienting than what most people can handle.

he couldnt flip up the shield or undo the straps? that seems like BS to me....there had to be something else that happened

**edit after reading the link, nobody credible is blaming his death on mud....just his brother speculating what he thought happened.....i just dont see it....it takes 2 second to flip up a face shield, and he obviously had time since he took his gloves off....he had to of had an internal injury or something

Seems totally believable to me. Once flung off the bike the impact will knock the air out of you then comes the mud and disorientation. We all know it's hard to manipulate helmet straps with gloves on. So knowing how humans panic I'm surprised he did take his gloves off but time wasn't on his side.

Awful however it happened.

Just seem to me that a natural reaction to suffocation is to claw at the thing that is stopping you from breathing. Removing gloves suggests he was "with it" at that point in time.

They also mentioned arthiritis. I wonder if he had problems removing the chin strap on a good day...

+1 A good reason to have a Spot locater, although it prolly wouldn't have save his life, or maybe it could have.

I use Instamapper(.com) and my wife has the URL and user/pass. She can see where my bike is whenever she wants. If I'm overdue on a ride then she will be able to locate the bike in a few seconds.

However, it does rely on cellphone coverage, so Hocking might be iffy.

When I took my Canada trip last year I gave my buddies the URL and I actually got a call from one of them because he said; "The GPS track showed you stopped off the side of the road in woods for a couple of hours." It was a cellphone coverage problem.

instamapper.png

He wouldn't have been the first 60+ to have a medical event that caused the wreck. All speculation of course, but I could see someone in cardiac arrest ending up this way.

Me too.

I wrote some scripts at home that monitor the GPS tracker (using the "shared" data mobile url) and tell me a few things:

- If the GPS tracker currently reporting position? Sometimes I forget to hook up the battery tender to one of the bikes and don't ride for a week or two. If the phone runs out of battery then I get an email telling me that the GPS track is not updating any more.

- I get an email telling me whenever one of my bikes or my car starts moving. The idea being that I get a "VStrom is moving" email and I'm sitting at my desk at work or at a restaraunt at lunch then I can respond to it immedately. Call the police and use the GPS track to direct them to the bike. My android lets me do all that too, don't need a PC.

I wrote some scripts at home that monitor the GPS tracker (using the "shared" data mobile url) and tell me a few things:

- If the GPS tracker currently reporting position? Sometimes I forget to hook up the battery tender to one of the bikes and don't ride for a week or two. If the phone runs out of battery then I get an email telling me that the GPS track is not updating any more.

- I get an email telling me whenever one of my bikes or my car starts moving. The idea being that I get a "VStrom is moving" email and I'm sitting at my desk at work or at a restaraunt at lunch then I can respond to it immedately. Call the police and use the GPS track to direct them to the bike. My android lets me do all that too, don't need a PC.

That's badass!

The police report lists the accident as being caused by the rider failing to make a right-hand turn. Unsafe speed is listed as a contributing factor. The report does not mention the cause of death (traume, asphyxia etc) however it goes on to state that "unit 1" struck two trees.

RIP